Growing Big Mule Deer

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
B&C.jpeg

Had Randy Larsen, Wildlife Professor for BYU, on the podcast today:

Interested in growing big mule deer? On today’s rokcast, Robby Denning hosts PHD in Wildlife Biology Randy Larsen of Brigham Young Universtity. Learn where the biggest concentration of Boone & Crockett bucks have come from, what it really takes for mule deer to grow big antlers, if you can really “shoot out” a unit’s genetics, how drought might be worse than winterkill, and why a gang member mountain lion named M42 should be on the Endangered Species list. They also list the top 4 factors in growing big mule deer. Follow Randy Larsen at @wildlifeprof on Instagram here

TButtars

FNG
Robby,
Really good podcast I’ve listen to it a couple times, but I think there was one very big thing that’s not being considered and that’s human pressure. When a deer is being pressured and can’t stop running from humans it don’t matter how good the habitat is that deer is not going to be fat going into winter. I personally think that’s why when an area has lots of elk the deer don’t do as well. The elk bring in lots of hunting pressure and it moves the deer around. I wonder if the gps data could tell you how often that particular deer has spent running and how that corresponds with body fat. I don’t know just a thought just seen too many deer with there mouths open running from hunting pressure🤷‍♂️

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,
Really good podcast I’ve listen to it a couple times, but I think there was one very big thing that’s not being considered and that’s human pressure. When a deer is being pressured and can’t stop running from humans it don’t matter how good the habitat is that deer is not going to be fat going into winter. I personally think that’s why when an area has lots of elk the deer don’t do as well. The elk bring in lots of hunting pressure and it moves the deer around. I wonder if the gps data could tell you how often that particular deer has spent running and how that corresponds with body fat. I don’t know just a thought just seen too many deer with there mouths open running from hunting pressure🤷‍♂️
good questions....