Growing Big Mule Deer

Tmac

WKR
Robby,
Really good podcast I’ve listen to it a couple times, but I think there was one very big thing that’s not being considered and that’s human pressure. When a deer is being pressured and can’t stop running from humans it don’t matter how good the habitat is that deer is not going to be fat going into winter. I personally think that’s why when an area has lots of elk the deer don’t do as well. The elk bring in lots of hunting pressure and it moves the deer around. I wonder if the gps data could tell you how often that particular deer has spent running and how that corresponds with body fat. I don’t know just a thought just seen too many deer with there mouths open running from hunting pressure🤷‍♂️
That pod cast was among the best I’ve ever heard.

Not sure if it’s been studied, but check out the Starkey Project in OR. Believe much of their work in available through ODFW. I know they studied ATV use and hunter movement on deer &elk in the enclosure. Could be in there some place. There is data available though the USDA too I believe, possibly other sources as well.

For those that are not familiar with it, it’s 25,000 acres of forest service ground surrounded by game proof fence, just outside of LaGrande, OR. It is intended to study elk and mule deer. I’ve walked through some of their elk studies, I was lucky, my brother was the Vet they contracted with to work on some studies. @robby denning, might be some pod cast material in there. Worth a check.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That pod cast was among the best I’ve ever heard.

Not sure if it’s been studied, but check out the Starkey Project in OR. Believe much of their work in available through ODFW. I know they studied ATV use and hunter movement on deer &elk in the enclosure. Could be in there some place. There is data available though the USDA too I believe, possibly other sources as well.

For those that are not familiar with it, it’s 25,000 acres of forest service ground surrounded by game proof fence, just outside of LaGrande, OR. It is intended to study elk and mule deer. I’ve walked through some of their elk studies, I was lucky, my brother was the Vet they contracted with to work on some studies. @robby denning, might be some pod cast material in there. Worth a check.
Thanks Tmac and thanks for the tip. I’ll keep my ears open