GSI minimalist

i really like the look of that 1300ml toak pot. i dont know if id take it hunting as i hear TI sucks for heat transfer but with that frying pan lid i bet itd be awesome for some thin sliced backstrap. little bottle of oil and a baggy of flour, now were talking!

That's something I fully intend to test out. :)

Ultra thin Ti only sucks for heat transfer if you are trying to get even heating.. which is what I would be trying to do, so that's problematic. They are so thin that the heat transfer from the flame to the water/food can very localized. Certainly not the best for frying, especially with something like a PR with it's blow torch flame. I'm hoping that the wider flame on my Soto will help with that, but the only way to find out for sure is to throw some sheep tenderloin in the pan and try it!

Yk

Guys,

Something to keep in mind when using these little micro pots is how the diameter effects the fuel efficiency. Particularly when using a canister stove with a wider flame spread, like the Soto or Optimus. I've used a 4.5" dia MSR Titan 0.8L for many years, and it's great, but I lose a bunch of heat around the outside edge. Especially if there is a breeze. The <4" Minimalist has got to be worse. Moving to a wider (5.5"+) pot nets me 20%+ better fuel efficiency and better wind resistance with my Soto.

I use the Titan quite a bit when I just want to take up minimal space in my pack, and don't really care about the fuel I burn, but for a longer two person trip using a bigger/wider pot can stretch the fuel out noticeably longer.

Yk

Good advice here, I've got a narrower 1.5 liter pot and it boils significantly slower then my buddies pot of the same size which has a much wider base. His is an evernew pot.

My stove is a Snowpeak litemax Titanium canister stove. A friend of mind experimented with attaching the Litemax to a stripped down jetboil pot. I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I think the heat exchanger on the jetboil stove will save me quite a bit of fuel on extended trips.

He talks about the conversion in this thread:
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8003373&highlight=stove

Last edited:
Back