Guided Sheep Hunt - packing list and weight critique

This may be splitting hairs, but if you haven't already bought that 6.9oz Hydrapak 3l, you could alternately consider the 3.8oz Platypus Hoser 3l.

Could be a relatively cheap 3oz to save. Have to run in the lid of my pack, see any issues with that? The hydrapak fits in there really well and allows for other gear to sit side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a relatively cheap 3oz to save. Have to run in the lid of my pack, see any issues with that? The hydrapak fits in there really well and allows for other gear to sit side by side.

The 2L platt might be better in the lid. I have one and it weighs 4.5 oz IIRC.

-The “Nalgene coffee mug” is actually closer to 1/2 of a full size bottle. 1.3 ounces

-The 1L Smart Water bottle with “sport top” can backflush a Sawyer filter. 1.4 ounces

-The 2L Platypus bladder weighs 4.5 ounces with the tube insulated.

Unfortunately I don’t have an empty Nalgene to weigh for reference. They are all full of ice.

Attachments

• 23EB29C7-0832-42FA-B2EC-A87CB921DEE2.jpeg
    23EB29C7-0832-42FA-B2EC-A87CB921DEE2.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 36
  • A35FFFCC-C05E-407B-BCA0-FDD52CA1248D.jpeg
    A35FFFCC-C05E-407B-BCA0-FDD52CA1248D.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 83421721-5C04-40CD-904C-C8A9C667E189.jpeg
    83421721-5C04-40CD-904C-C8A9C667E189.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 36
List looks very similar to mine- I go in 23. I started a thread in the Sheep forum on things not to bring on a guided hunt. After a lot of feedback and discussion I decided I am bringing my own stove, my own tripod and spotter. Easy way to save weight, but I like the idea of being able to do some glassing of my own. Ditto on having my own stove, want something hot while glassing, don't have to bug the outfitter, etc.

I had a really good option with synthetic insulation a couple of years ago with Nunatak- Apex insulation, completely customizable in regards to fabric, cut, length etc. Sadly it doesn't look like he's doing that anymore. Anyways will be bringing one of his insulated jackets and pants w/ me.

The Hille is a solid shelter, but if you really wanted to shave some weight I've used the Tarptent Stratospire Li enough now that is what I'm bringing- 2 lbs all in. If I already owned the Hille, I'd just take it though :D

Do you have a plan for an unexpected overnight bivy/Siwash? I finally decided I'd bring a lighter down bag (30 degree) and supplement it with a 50 degree syn (Apex) quilt. The quilt would go with me daily and the down bag remaining at camp. With an insulated jacket and pants and the light (12 oz) Apex quilt, I should be able to tough a night out on the side of the mountain. My "sitpad" is going to be a little longer than usual as well just for this scenario.

I'm also bringing my own food. If they have some things that look irresistible, I'll throw them in my pack- but I have my food very dialed in now and not going to change it.

Best of luck man!

-The “Nalgene coffee mug” is actually closer to 1/2 of a full size bottle. 1.3 ounces

-The 1L Smart Water bottle with “sport top” can backflush a Sawyer filter. 1.4 ounces

-The 2L Platypus bladder weighs 4.5 ounces with the tube insulated.

Unfortunately I don’t have an empty Nalgene to weigh for reference. They are all full of ice.

Pretty hard to argue with those figures and pictures. All pretty cheap to do as well.

List looks very similar to mine- I go in 23. I started a thread in the Sheep forum on things not to bring on a guided hunt. After a lot of feedback and discussion I decided I am bringing my own stove, my own tripod and spotter. Easy way to save weight, but I like the idea of being able to do some glassing of my own. Ditto on having my own stove, want something hot while glassing, don't have to bug the outfitter, etc.

I had a really good option with synthetic insulation a couple of years ago with Nunatak- Apex insulation, completely customizable in regards to fabric, cut, length etc. Sadly it doesn't look like he's doing that anymore. Anyways will be bringing one of his insulated jackets and pants w/ me.

The Hille is a solid shelter, but if you really wanted to shave some weight I've used the Tarptent Stratospire Li enough now that is what I'm bringing- 2 lbs all in. If I already owned the Hille, I'd just take it though :D

Do you have a plan for an unexpected overnight bivy/Siwash? I finally decided I'd bring a lighter down bag (30 degree) and supplement it with a 50 degree syn (Apex) quilt. The quilt would go with me daily and the down bag remaining at camp. With an insulated jacket and pants and the light (12 oz) Apex quilt, I should be able to tough a night out on the side of the mountain. My "sitpad" is going to be a little longer than usual as well just for this scenario.

I'm also bringing my own food. If they have some things that look irresistible, I'll throw them in my pack- but I have my food very dialed in now and not going to change it.

Best of luck man!

I followed that thread pretty closely!

As far as a bivy/siwash, I’m waiting til I can hopefully talk to my actual guide and see what he thinks. I have an emergency sol bivy, a borah bivy, tarp etc but not planning on bringing unless guide gives me the nod.

Currently plan is leave all puffy gear and rain gear in pack at all times and use that if needed. In different scenarios or when I hunt on my own I’d always have a bivy or tarp in my bag for that exact reason, but want to see what/how my guide is planning on hunting, ie roll up camp every day or hunting from camp, etc.

Shaving another pound or two off my current list could open up some flexibility. I also don’t know if we’ll be bringing 10 days of food at once but it very well could turn to that so that’s what I’m counting.

Do you have a plan for an unexpected overnight bivy/Siwash?
When I went to the Wrangells we had to Siwash. One of the guys killed a sheep. We got it caped and quartered. Then it got dark and started to rain/sleet. We were in sight of camp but it was steep treacherous talus. We decided it wasn’t worth the risk and stayed put until light. We didn’t have anything extra, just an insulation layer and good rain gear. It wasn’t very comfortable but I’ve spent worse nights. I don’t carry extra Bivvy stuff. If you decided to do it like me remember that making a fire is rarely an option and bring good layers everywhere. To each his own.

Shaving another pound or two off my current list could open up some flexibility.
I try to resist the urge to put weight in some new form back in the pack after cutting weight. To me, a light pack is worth more than a bunch of extra options for “what if” scenarios. There is an old mountaineering saying that goes something like “If you bring a Bivvy you’ll probably need it”. Obviously that’s counter to the little story I just told about “sleeping” in the talus. But even after a few rough nights I still don’t carry bivouac gear. Probably the worst night I’ve spent was just below the summit of the Grand Teton. It started to blizzard and we decided to wait it out. It really, really sucked, we hit the summit way later than we should have due to overestimating our abilities. That was a long time ago…
I still don’t carry Bivvy gear 😬

I try to resist the urge to put weight in some new form back in the pack after cutting weight. To me, a light pack is worth more than a bunch of extra options for “what if” scenarios. There is an old mountaineering saying that goes something like “If you bring a Bivvy you’ll probably need it”. Obviously that’s counter to the little story I just told about “sleeping” in the talus. But even after a few rough nights I still don’t carry bivouac gear.

Good feedback and insight. Going to go with my guides direction on this one, but I’m guessing it’ll probably be in alignment with this.

Having spent 4-5 unexpected nights out, I tend to lean a wee bit towards the Boy Scout way of thinking :D

I will say having a stove and a Nalgene can make an unexpected night (or just an unexpected cold night) out much better.

Also the 12 oz Apex quilt has a "poncho" hole in it and if it's cold and your glassing long, I just pop my head through the hole and drape it over the rest of my clothing- this has helped out a bunch times elk/dee hunting.

The Apex used as an overquilt (over down) also helps mitigate moisture that could make it's way into your down bag.

I figure it's a roughly about a 6 oz penalty bringing it- as I can carry a roughly 6 oz lighter down bag with it (it adds ~ 20 degrees to your sleep system), but gives me a bivy option, a additional glassing layer and helps with moisture on longer trip

One word of caution....make sure you know exactly what gear your guide has.

When I went on my Alaskan spring grizz hunt, I inquired about spotting scope and rangefinder.

Outfitter said guide has both, no need to carry the extra weight. Outfitter was also the Bush pilot, so weight is a big concern.

I left my spotter at home but decided to take my Leica rangefinder.

Guide had a Swaro spotter, check.

Outfitter gives the guide his Bushnell, Bone collector range finder.

Long story short, the bushy rangefinder was a pos, and wouldn't range much past 200 yards.

I had left my Leica and unnecessary gear at Basecamp. After 2 days with the pos bone collector, we called the outfitter for supplies, and told him to grab my Leica rf

With no way to get closer, I shot my grizz across a valley at 338 yards, from a dead solid rest

Without knowing the exact range, probably wouldn't have taken the shot

8.5ft mtn grizz, 300rum, 200ab. First two shots were 2" apart

Moral of the story....know what you are dealing with re. supplied equip. Even if it means carrying a few extra lbs.

Having spent 4-5 unexpected nights out, I tend to lean a wee bit towards the Boy Scout way of thinking :D

I will say having a stove and a Nalgene can make an unexpected night (or just an unexpected cold night) out much better.

Also the 12 oz Apex quilt has a "poncho" hole in it and if it's cold and your glassing long, I just pop my head through the hole and drape it over the rest of my clothing- this has helped out a bunch times elk/dee hunting.

The Apex used as an overquilt (over down) also helps mitigate moisture that could make it's way into your down bag.

I figure it's a roughly about a 6 oz penalty bringing it- as I can carry a roughly 6 oz lighter down bag with it (it adds ~ 20 degrees to your sleep system), but gives me a bivy option, a additional glassing layer and helps with moisture on longer trip

Definite +1 on the Apex poncho. Great piece of gear.

Oh, I follow the Boy Scout motto. I’m always prepared to shiver and cuss my stupid decisions 😜
Ya see, I have this special talent. The superhuman ability to learn absolutely nothing from my mistakes. Sometimes I really wonder about me.

Last edited:
One word of caution....make sure you know exactly what gear your guide has.

When I went on my Alaskan spring grizz hunt, I inquired about spotting scope and rangefinder.

Outfitter said guide has both, no need to carry the extra weight. Outfitter was also the Bush pilot, so weight is a big concern.

I left my spotter at home but decided to take my Leica rangefinder.

Guide had a Swaro spotter, check.

Outfitter gives the guide his Bushnell, Bone collector range finder.

Long story short, the bushy rangefinder was a pos, and wouldn't range much past 200 yards.

I had left my Leica and unnecessary gear at Basecamp. After 2 days with the pos bone collector, we called the outfitter for supplies, and told him to grab my Leica rf

With no way to get closer, I shot my grizz across a valley at 338 yards, from a dead solid rest

Without knowing the exact range, probably wouldn't have taken the shot

8.5ft mtn grizz, 300rum, 200ab. First two shots were 2" apart

Moral of the story....know what you are dealing with re. supplied equip. Even if it means carrying a few extra lbs.

Thanks for sharing this.

Back