Gunwerks Nexus 6.5 PRC Rifle Ongoing Review

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
50a50090f3b0661f99ef8a121b91bb27.jpg

Last April we went to Cody Wyoming to get a sneak peak of Gunwerks new rifle. I had no intention of buying another rifle but apparently my wife did. This guys showed up yesterday. Over the next few weeks I will post up the accuracy results from factory and hand loads. The load work up will be at 650 yards. It has a 20” barrel so I doubt the factory options will be adequate on the speeds side. Like I said this is Tanya’s rifle, I’m gonna get it set up… then it’s back to the 6UM

f1f71165255d37cc67ee47e82a82634d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gabenzeke

WKR

Last April we went to Cody Wyoming to get a sneak peak of Gunwerks new rifle. I had no intention of buying another rifle but apparently my wife did. This guys showed up yesterday. Over the next few weeks I will post up the accuracy results from factory and hand loads. The load work up will be at 650 yards. It has a 20” barrel so I doubt the factory options will be adequate on the speeds side. Like I said this is Tanya’s rifle, I’m gonna get it set up… then it’s back to the 6UM

I can't decide if those things look pretty slick or if they're an abomination. The reviews I've read are pretty positive though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I can't decide if those things look pretty slick or if they're an abomination. The reviews I've read are pretty positive though.

My wife LOVES the stock and so do I, it’s so easy to shoot and spot your hits. It’s shooting factory ammo really well at 100 but I want to proof it out at 650. There is one thing that really annoys me but I need to talk to Gunwerks to get my facts straight first before I address it here.

gabenzeke

WKR
My wife LOVES the stock and so do I, it’s so easy to shoot and spot your hits. It’s shooting factory ammo really well at 100 but I want to proof it out at 650. There is one thing that really annoys me but I need to talk to Gunwerks to get my facts straight first before I address it here.
I'm anxious for the full review. I'm already building a custom which will more than likely end up being my one and only, so I'll have to live vicariously through you guys. But this one seems like they really thought outside the box, so it's interesting for sure.

NK Hunter

FNG
Anxious to hear what you have to say after speaking to GW's. My son is looking to get one of these, so very interested in the load/shooting results. BTW - you buddy sent me here to follow this thread. 😎 You gonna try various projos or just the 156?

NSI

WKR
Curious if there's an update here. Also curious why the older Clymr is over a grand more than the nexus.

-J

Tullis94

WKR
Curious if there's an update here. Also curious why the older Clymr is over a grand more than the nexus.

-J
In the shoot 2 hunt podcast, with Aaron from Gunwerks, he said that it is because the Aluminum action is so much easier and faster to machine than a normal steel action. I can't remember exactly, but I think he said they can basically machine the Nexus action from start to finish in about an hour.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

-J
Not great it’s been back to Gunwerks twice. The rifle shoots fantastic! The issue is putting it on safe, its very hard to do especially for my wife. GW has been great to work with. They claim to have a fix coming.

It cheaper because it easier/faster to produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: NSI

Juan_ID

WKR

I don’t believe my eyes… A Leupold upon a rifle of the Avery’s?? 🤔

bwc33

FNG
I'm told there's a fix coming for the safety issue. I'll see if I can get a timeline, I should know early october.

New to the site- came here to specifically see gunwerks reviews. Definitely curious to see how this review progresses..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhcoog1

FNG
I did a cull hunt with the nexus in 7 PRC. Outstanding performance. Gun was driving tacks all week. Most shots were 500-800, a few longer and a few shorter. Earned a permanent spot in the gun safe, that’s for sure.

I’m a big fan of the aluminum bottom metal / arca rail / bipod rail. One piece. Rock solid for tripod and bipod shooting. Most of what I did was off a tripod on hillsides shooting to opposing hill sides. Big fan of this feature.

NSI

WKR
If the safety issues pan out and it passes drop and cold weather tests, I'll pony up out of pure curiosity. We don't have that many non-700 options in the custom world.

-J

bwc33

FNG
I did a cull hunt with the nexus in 7 PRC. Outstanding performance. Gun was driving tacks all week. Most shots were 500-800, a few longer and a few shorter. Earned a permanent spot in the gun safe, that’s for sure.

I’m a big fan of the aluminum bottom metal / arca rail / bipod rail. One piece. Rock solid for tripod and bipod shooting. Most of what I did was off a tripod on hillsides shooting to opposing hill sides. Big fan of this feature.

The nexus in 7PRC originally caught my eye. It is absolutely beautiful looking. But, the Clymr and it's weight savings is hard to pass up for my first true western setup. Are you rolling your own loads or using factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhcoog1

FNG
I've shot hornady, gunwerks, and my handloads. Hornady ammo lacked consistency. The other two work great. No, gunwerks doesn't offer that load commercially at this point.

NK Hunter

FNG

What bullets you running?