Hammock and tarp use?

I'm looking into setting up a spike camp with a hammock, and I'll use a tarp as an over head shelter. Anyone done this, and the pros and cons? Also recommendations for both a hammock and tarp ultra light?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
D
Sorry should mentioned, Idaho probably in or around the mountains archery opener in September

How much (if any) experience do you have with hammocks? There's a steep learning curve. Will you be wanting a true 4 season hammock?

ChrisS

WKR
I think hammocks are more comfortable than sleeping on the ground and open up more places to camp because you don't need a level spot with no rocks.

The downside is that they are more fiddly and can be (in total) heavier than a similar ground setup.

wildcat33

WKR
Have you slept in a hammock before? You either like it or you don't. My back hurts just looking at these photos. No thanks. And brrrrr.

Have you slept in a hammock before? You either like it or you don't. My back hurts just looking at these photos. No thanks. And brrrrr.

Read up on it a bit. Here. Some camping forums. There is a whole art to it. Not just the hammock and overhead tarp but how you stay warm from below - pad or under quilt- and a bunch of other tings. I would also try it out before you go on a long hunt.

I don’t find them comfortable to sleep in (side sleeper and thrasher) apart from naps, in which case they are the shizzle. When I bring one these days it is usually as a camp chair arltenative in warm weather.

OP
D
I think hammocks are more comfortable than sleeping on the ground and open up more places to camp because you don't need a level spot with no rocks.

The downside is that they are more fiddly and can be (in total) heavier than a similar ground setup.
Last spike camp I set up I was absolutely miserable sleeping on the ground and had problems with rocks and finding level ground. I have zero experience with hammocks so I'm looking for as much info as I can get in a setup that will keep me sheltered and comfortable around20 degrees

I’m reading this thread with lots of interest. I’ve always been intrigued by hammocks but I side sleep mostly and toss and turn all night. I could see me flipping it over. My interest is more for backcountry trout than hunting. I’ll give one a try someday in nice summer weather so I know if I’d like it on a cold hunt.

I'm looking into setting up a spike camp with a hammock, and I'll use a tarp as an over head shelter. Anyone done this, and the pros and cons? Also recommendations for both a hammock and tarp ultra light?

Love my hammock, can't ever see going back to the ground. I don't have ultralight gear but have what's comfortable for me. Warbonnet blackbird double layer with wookie and superfly tarp. If you are going to have temps in the 40's you will need an underquilt imho, with right underquilt and top quilt you can be comfortable in most if not all temps you'll be out in. Dutch has some lighter weight stuff and jacks r better has good gear. Trade off for everything but if you want 4 season without having multiple I'm not sure how light you can get.

ChrisS

WKR
I have zero experience with hammocks so I'm looking for as much info as I can get in a setup that will keep me sheltered and comfortable around20 degrees
Warbonnet is high quality stuff, but a little more costly. You probably won't need a bug screen with a hammock in CO depending on where you are.

Just a rough outline on what you'll need:
Tarp - WB Thunderfly 13.4oz $135
Hammock - ~16 oz depending on suspension and screen - $125
Suspension - Lots of options, tree straps and some carabiners - ~6 oz $30
Top Quilt - Hammockgear econ line 10f 25oz $192
Bottom Quilt - Hammockgear econ line 20f 23.7oz $150

Total system: $650+/- with shipping and 5.25 lbs

Edited to add: I used a 20f HG quilt and DIY hammock/tarp in SW CO a few years ago. It got down into the 20s at night, but with no wind or storms and I was OK, but not terribly warm - I'd wake up a few times in the night. That was with an insulated pad. I switched to an underquilt, and it seems to be a lot warmer and less prone to cold spots.

Last edited:
Warbonnet is high quality stuff, but a little more costly. You probably won't need a bug screen with a hammock in CO depending on where you are.

Just a rough outline on what you'll need:
Tarp - WB Thunderfly 13.4oz $135
Hammock - ~16 oz depending on suspension and screen - $125
Suspension - Lots of options, tree straps and some carabiners - ~6 oz $30
Top Quilt - Hammockgear econ line 10f 25oz $192
Bottom Quilt - Hammockgear econ line 20f 23.7oz $150

Total system: $650+/- with shipping and 5.25 lbs

Edited to add: I used a 20f HG quilt and DIY hammock/tarp in SW CO a few years ago. It got down into the 20s at night, but with no wind or storms and I was OK, but not terribly warm - I'd wake up a few times in the night. That was with an insulated pad. I switched to an underquilt, and it seems to be a lot warmer and less prone to cold spots.
I agree the underquilt is only way to go. I tried a pad and hated it. I would recommend the mamajamba tarp if you go with warbonnet and want lighter. It allows you to be light and add the door kit for winter. There's lots of options, hammockforums has lots of good information and I wouldn't say the learning curve is super hard or anything, if you research, try your gear in the conditions you'll be sleeping in, and sleep overnight in it 8 or 10times you'll be able to get it pretty dialed in.

a642c74f84172fba56199d7d9ef45ce9.jpg

This was us heading in the 1st day of scouting. We had hammocks and tarps.
539f87f4b1d563afbb7d4a33f54e702c.jpg

This is us coming out the next day deciding that was a terrible idea and truck camping it would be.

This was 1st Rifle in Colorado 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohoopee

WKR
Hammockforums.net and shug youtube videos. I spend about 25 days a year in my UL setup. Usually hike in about 5 or 6 miles and fly fish. Loco libre ghost quilts, dream hammock and cuben tarps. Fabric choice is important (firm or stretchy). I have tried most of the top cottage maker quilts and hammocks and tarps. All are good equipment. My system works well for my UL setup. Below 25 and I just use my SL5 though. I want to say my 30 degree system runs about 3 to 4lbs.

Last edited:
If its cold or mildly cold , you need the right set up with under quilt, im not exaggerating when i say i froze my ass of in late august at 10k . Was very comfortable just cold. Scouting in July was just fine

Warbonnet makes a good hammock. They’re on the 2nd gen of the blackbird xlc. Another good company is dutchware gear with their chameleon hammock. That’s the one I have and it’s awesome. If you are going to camp in cooler weather you must have an underquilt or you’ll freeze. I have seen people fit sleeping pads into their hammock as well but that can be tricky to do comfortably. I would recommend buying a cheap one at your local cabelas or something and try a night or two in that before investing in a more expensive set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend buying a cheap one at your local cabelas or something and try a night or two in that before investing in a more expensive set up.
I agree. I would add to make sure it is an 11' hammock. Much more comfortable than the shorter 10 or 9' ones.
That way you will figure out what you like and if you want to pursue it any further. My first one was an 11' double wide from Amazon for $35. Its a comfortable hammock and I can keep it at base camp for naps or let other people try it also. Dutchware, Dream Hammock and Simply Light Designs are all good choices. It is much more comfortable than a pad on the ground for me.

NewGuy

FNG
Read up on it a bit. Here. Some camping forums. There is a whole art to it. Not just the hammock and overhead tarp but how you stay warm from below - pad or under quilt- and a bunch of other tings. I would also try it out before you go on a long hunt.

I don’t find them comfortable to sleep in (side sleeper and thrasher) apart from naps, in which case they are the shizzle. When I bring one these days it is usually as a camp chair arltenative in warm weather.
The shizzle, lol