0 degree bag and a hammock

Hey boys- last year I bought a 0 degree SG chilkoot and while I love it, I almost never get to use it because I'll sweat to death. I don't know what magic SG uses in there but woof.

Anyway- looking at a 3rd week or 4th week September elk hunt this year and kicking around an idea of using a hammock and the 0 degree bag.

Has anybody done it and what was your experience? I've never hammock camped before but I Weighed my kit and I could run pretty light with that.

Last year I used a tarp and a pad and it wasn't bad but it wasn't easy to find a flat enough spot to lay in the unit I was hunting in Idaho.

Let me know your thoughts and if this is a terrible idea. I'd love to test it but the misquitos make it tough to camp in MN right now

I've only used a hammock a few times and it was summer camping. I'd grab a hammock bug net of amazon and try it out a few nights in MN and see what you think.

You'd want an under quilt for sure for late Sept.

I found the hammock comfortable. Sometimes finding the right trees to tie between can be a pain but I've used it on very uneven ground and been pleased to not be on the ground.

BDRam16

WKR
I’m not a hammock guy for my own reasons, but I know most guys that time of year still run a pad or under quilt that time of year. Not sure where you’re going either, but I wouldn’t hammock camp anywhere with bad beetle kill like most of CO has lol.

OP
E
I've only used a hammock a few times and it was summer camping. I'd grab a hammock bug net of amazon and try it out a few nights in MN and see what you think.

You'd want an under quilt for sure for late Sept.

I found the hammock comfortable. Sometimes finding the right trees to tie between can be a pain but I've used it on very uneven ground and been pleased to not be on the ground.
You think I'd still need an underquilt with a 0 degree bag? Dang.... I was thinking I'd run it without but I guess I'd need to test it.

OP
E
I’m not a hammock guy for my own reasons, but I know most guys that time of year still run a pad or under quilt that time of year. Not sure where you’re going either, but I wouldn’t hammock camp anywhere with bad beetle kill like most of CO has lol.
Thinking I'd wake up on the way to the ground ?🤣

woods89

WKR
You think I'd still need an underquilt with a 0 degree bag? Dang.... I was thinking I'd run it without but I guess I'd need to test it.
I've only slept in hammocks in warm weather, but.....

You are going to smash all the loft in that bag that's under you. It's really easy to get cold on the bottom side. Hence the underquilt technique, as the loft is not compressed.

Having been snowed on 3rd week of September, I would not use a sleeping bag in a hammock then.

OscarMike

FNG
I've hammock camped a few times, might be one of my favorite ways to sleep. Like others have said, you'll want an under quilt to prevent heat loss through the hammock but I've used an inflatable pad which works pretty well if you can keep it from moving around underneath. If you don't have an under quilt or sleeping pad you should be able to wrap the sleeping bag *around* the hammock. This sorta functions as an under quilt and keeps the filling from compressing which minimizes heat loss. Also in areas where you have distantly spaced trees you can suspend your hammock from a ridge line using two prusick hitches. I like this setup because the ridge line can also be used to support a tarp and/or bug net.

A cheap foam pad or an inflatable pad designed for hammocks (Klymit or Kammok) would solve the problem. I personally prefer a matching temp rated underquilt and top quilt, but if you were using a sleeping bag you may be able to just use a higher temp rated underquilt for less weight/bulk. The Outdoor Vitals MummyPod might be an option as well.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Your sleeping bag will work great as a top quilt. As others have said, you'll want to pair it with a pad (works ok) or an underquilt (more ideal).

When I first started, I didn't have an underquilt, and my thermarest z-lite worked fine down to the 40s. But dedicated underquilts are less finicky and warmer.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I've used them before but I don't in grizzly country. We usually get the curious grizzly in the early am that rolls through camp and I don't think I want to be hanging in a tree. I would just sleep with the bag open, the nights still can get chilly in September and if your high enough snow is a real possability.

striped1

FNG
Yes. You will compress the insulation laying on it and it won't be a 0' bag with that compressed. You would be better using it as your top or bottom quilt and getting the other to use with it.

wyogoat

WKR
I did a similar hunt to what you’re talking about, Wyoming beginning September 14 and camped around 10k with a hammock and a 0 degree down bag. I was fine when my foam pad behaved but if it moved you knew it right away and would wake you up. Someone above mentioned the underquilt being less finicky and I think that’s the way to go.
I also did the prusick method like OscarMike and that worked really well. This allows you to adjust tension almost infinitely and I suspended my War Bonnet tarp that way and it was bomb proof with some crap weather.
I’m always impressed w the guys who can do the hammock thing. It’s intriguing but I went back to a lightweight tent because I never saw the benefit.

I’ve used a hammock with a 30° quilt during the 3rd and 4th weeks of September for Colorado archery. I ended up layering with my puffy pants and jacket but it wasn’t bad.

GotDraw?

WKR
I've hung plenty of times in steep CO backcountry in 3rd week of Sept from 10k-12k ft.

Underquilt is mandatory, I use a 20 degree under quilt w/a 15 degree bag. You will NOT get a pad to work satisfactorily so don't even consider it.

I'd recommend you get a 10 degree under quilt just in case. Also recommend considering a full rectangular tarp with doors, not a trapezoid-open ended tarp. If it snows with wind, you could end up covered in snow blowing in from the ends if you don't have doors and that would suck.

Love hanging, I sleep warmly and soundly. Good luck w/it.

JL