Hammock camping colorado archery?

Chaser96

FNG
Do any of you hammock camp for your archery hunts? Seems like a good way to save weight since I don’t have a lightweight tent option. I was planning on running a hammock with a hammock specific sleeping bag and a rain fly. Any reason not to do this? Any advice or tips you all have learned? I’m thinking with the bag that goes completely around the hammock I should stay plenty warm since I’m not compressing the bag by laying on it. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taskswap

WKR
I think it depends where you plan to hunt. The zones I hunt in CO often have a lot of beetle-kill and I don't consider the areas I hunt to be reliable for hammock-hanging. If I was in Oregon or something it'd be a totally different story.

Don't forget that while the insulation under you (under-quilt) doesn't get compressed, you also have airflow to deal with that ground-campers don't have. That airflow is why there are always "Warning: Bridges Freeze First" signs on roadways. Unless it's reliably warm where you're going (even in archery season I've seen 20F overnights here in CO, at altitude) you're still going to want a sleeping pad of some kind for its R-value. You might want to look for a hammock that has side skirting or a rain fly that extends below the sling. That can help a lot.

I've slept in both and personally, I don't feel hammocks are a weight saving play outside summer months on thru-hikes. I think it's more a sleeping preference than a real "advantage". Ground-sleepers can do things like use quilts instead of full bags to save some weight and bulk and I feel like the under-quilt you need with a hammock plus the need for cambium-savers and so on offsets some weight savings. If you ENJOY hammocks ignore everything I've said. But if you're doing it just for weight savings, I'd pit my Zpacks Duplex + 0F quilt + Thermarest XTherm NXT pad against almost anything (49oz for all three together, comfort down to 20F with no other help and 0F with down booties and hood).

If you do love hammocks, check out this hammock chair from Hemlock Mountain:

This thing is SUPER cheap although you'll need to add a suspension to it. I got both the 1.6oz and the 1.0oz to try them (heck they're $20) and definitely prefer the 1.6oz. I added a pair of ultralight straps and titanium hooks from Dutchware and it gave me a really nice chair/bench option for camp for only a few ounces of added weight.

OP
Chaser96

Chaser96

FNG
I hammock camped this year in Montana and wyoming on a turkey hunting trip and definitely think I prefer it to ground sleeping. There is lots of beetle kill but also lots of areas of aspens that I figured would be easy enough to set up camp in. It was regularly in the 20s at night when we hunted there last year that’s why I’m a little skeptical. I’m a side sleeper usually unless I’m in a hammock so sleeping pads just seem to suck for me. I’m not sure what the plan will be. I also don’t think we will be moving camp every day. Plan to pack in a couple miles when we get there then keep camp in that area the whole time as long as the elk are in the area they were last year which I know is very possible they won’t be. Just trying to get things planned out more than a week in advance which typically isn’t my style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way you’ll know is if you try it yourself. I personally use them all year in colorado, but your mileage may vary. I’d highly suggest trying it before your hunting season.

BDRam16

WKR
I wouldn’t personally. Rode out an elevation storm out of no where last season that would have been insanely sketchy in a hammock. It was sideways rain for 12 hours.

rcb2000

WKR
One of the biggest myths out there is that hammock camping is more lightweight than a tent or tarp.
Once you add everything up, it’s the same or more than a lightweight pad, quilt, and tarp/tent.

Do it if you sleep better, but don’t think you’re saving weight.

rclouse79

WKR
I love hammocks for a nap, but after a couple hours I have to get out. My buddy brought one for the first time on a backpacking trip and I woke up to find him sleeping on the ground after he couldn’t get comfortable. I would echo the advice to spend a couple nights in one and make sure it is works for you first.

One of the biggest myths out there is that hammock camping is more lightweight than a tent or tarp.
Once you add everything up, it’s the same or more than a lightweight pad, quilt, and tarp/tent.

^ This.

My hammock system and ground system are within a couple ounces of each other. Both have full coverage tarps (I.e. A-frames with doors.

It is truly down to personal preference and habitat. If we were going back to Colorado this year, I was going to hammock camp because I know the area and know finding hanging trees would be easier than finding flat areas. However, we are going to a new unit in NM so I’ll bring it but probably won’t use it.

rcb2000

WKR
I love hammocks for a nap, but after a couple hours I have to get out. My buddy brought one for the first time on a backpacking trip and I woke up to find him sleeping on the ground after he couldn’t get comfortable. I would echo the advice to spend a couple nights in one and make sure it is works for you first.
The thing I ask anyone who couldn’t get comfortable in a hammock is, did you try going diagonally? When you go from being perfectly in-line position with the hammock to slight 45° cant, you get you in a super comfortable flat position.

The thing I ask anyone who couldn’t get comfortable in a hammock is, did you try going diagonally? When you go from being perfectly in-line position with the hammock to slight 45° cant, you get you in a super comfortable flat position.
I agree that many discomfort stories with hammocks is likely due to technique (wrong hang angle, laying straight instead of canted, and/or not having an underquilt.

Shraggs

WKR

20* quilt and under quilt, hammock, 10x10 tarp plus stakes etc - 4 lbs.

wyogoat

WKR
I tried the hammock thing and unless you know for sure you can sleep in it go tent…I did 5 nights with little sleep and the insulation underneath is a huge issue so have a plan for that…foam pad or under quilt. I used the Hennessy hammock and the War Bonnet tarp. Can’t say enough good about the War Bonnet stuff tough. It’s awesome.

PlanoDano

FNG
I have many nights using hammock, tent and tarp. Each have a place.
Hammock pros
Dialed in hammock is extremely comfortable for most of us
You do not need level or clear ground.
Hammock cons
Full hammock setup is a little heavier than tent and tarp options
useless in treeless or P&J environments

I hammock when I can. I bring an inflatable sleep pad with me and a rain fly. I'd probably winter camp the same way

OXN939

WKR
Under quilts are a must!!

I keep seeing this everywhere. Got plenty of nights in my ENO hammock, although only in warm, tropical environments that didn't require any kind of insulation... wouldn't an inflatable sleeping pad plus an appropriately rated bag be plenty to keep you warm? Considering the hammock option for this September in CO