Hanging game meat in cooler

To add to that idea, if you have a couple freezers, one can easily be made into a chiller. We have 3 chest freezers and have a 9 cubic foot running at refrigerator temps nearly all the time. Works great for beverages, bulk veg storage and aging animals.

One of these to set the temp:

One of these to move the air, so no cold spots develop:

Very neat, thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zappaman

WKR
Two weeks later...

I skinned and butchered out the hanging doe today. She hung for two weeks (hide on) and we had about 4 days in the upper 50s, and plenty of nights in the low 20s (a few in the low teens). Avarage day temps were in the mid 40s over-all.

Tonight I prepared some back strap- grilled in a HOT black iron skillet (using rendered beef fat). Black papper, salt, and a touch of lemon pepper. Grilled hot and fast searing the outside to a "crust" about two minutes a side (1 1/5" thick medallions), then reduced heat (to 1/2 speed) for a few more minutes (covered) after doused with a touch of worchestire-- for a perfect medium rare finish.

Tasted just like prime filet. No "old" taste in the meat and it was more tender and tasted better than the "tenderloins" we ate night of the kill. The REASON I hung her so long was the tenderloins being a bit tougher than usual for our Kansas doe. I don't always hang this long, but for this deer it was worth it!

I have a commercial beverage fridge I set up for dry aging with controllers for temp and humidity, I kept it at 35-37 degrees and 80% humidity. I did 5 or 6 in it this year, I’d hang outside the first night or two, skin then wait another day or so then break down into quarters and make a neck/trim pile on the racks and hang all the quarters below them for 14 days or so. Usually from the kill date to pack and freeze is 20 days and the product has been incredible. I also add the rind to the trim pile and it’s been delicious it adds a nutty aroma/flavor to it. I did a small batch of sweet Italian sausage last week that was 50/50 rind to trim plus pork fat, the mix had a super dark color from the rind but came out incredible