Hanging quarters

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
What do you savy veterans do with the moose meat once it's broken down and back at camp? I see a lot of videos where people hang it from a meat pole but all the parts are just hanging barely off the ground. It seems smarter to hang it from a tree like you do with your food and a couple hundred yards from camp. What do you guys do to keep predators from getting to the meat once it's back in camp?

If you ever kill and butcher a moose, you'll discover just how hard it is to find a way to get all of it well up into a tree or trees away from predators. I personally have yet to see anyone do it, or meet anyone who has done it. The primary problem is weight of the meat bags. The secondary problem is where to hoist it, while #3 is how to do it 8-10 times.

I have used a variety of methods. My favorite is to find 2 or 3 trees in a tight group and erect horizontal poles between the trees. I put the poles as high as I can reach from the ground. Then I simply run loops of cordage around the pole for hanging the bags of meat.

I bring an electric bear fence with me and use it to encircle the meat area. It's not a bear-proof situation, but nothing really is. And personally, I think meat kept closer to camp is less likely to be bothered versus having it out there 100 yards or more away. One thing I try to do is keep my meat in some place where bears don't naturally wander through. For example, I don't hang it along the banks of a stream or near a travel corridor.

If you ever kill and butcher a moose, you'll discover just how hard it is to find a way to get all of it well up into a tree or trees away from predators. I personally have yet to see anyone do it, or meet anyone who has done it. The primary problem is weight of the meat bags. The secondary problem is where to hoist it, while #3 is how to do it 8-10 times.

I have used a variety of methods. My favorite is to find 2 or 3 trees in a tight group and erect horizontal poles between the trees. I put the poles as high as I can reach from the ground. Then I simply run loops of cordage around the pole for hanging the bags of meat.

I bring an electric bear fence with me and use it to encircle the meat area. It's not a bear-proof situation, but nothing really is. And personally, I think meat kept closer to camp is less likely to be bothered versus having it out there 100 yards or more away. One thing I try to do is keep my meat in some place where bears don't naturally wander through. For example, I don't hang it along the banks of a stream or near a travel corridor.
Thanks for your feedback thats great info! I have clearly never don't it before, the closest thing I've done is hung elk qtrs in trees using small pullys but I know the weight I substantially different. I appreciate the input and hope to put your knowledge into practice this september!

Kevin tells it like it REALLY is ! I have a good story to tell about my first moose and that one was in Southern B.C.

Hang it from meat pole we setup at camp, like in my profile pic. I keep the meat close to my tent well under 50yds or so typically. Bears are much less likely to mess with it knowing you're right near it and if they do...guess i'll be getting another hide in the house and one less moose calf muncher out of the system. Never had any bear issues with meat at camp.

Just a little thought:

If you plan to make yourself a meatpole, you'll need to bring enough cordage or wire to do multiple wraps around the pole/tree juncture. I've used regular 550 paracord but I DON'T like it. It has too much stretch for my preferences, especially with several hundred pounds of weight added. The cat's meow is a roll of sturdy wire from the hardware store. You can wrap it once or twice and twist the ends to secure. It's strong and won't sag. Easy to take down when you leave, too. Just be sure you have a multi-tool with wire cutters, unless your teeth are very strong.

If wire won't work (perhaps due to weight restrictions) then I would recommend one of the better (smaller, stronger, low-stretch) cord bundles from a supplier like Lawson.

Just a little thought:

If you plan to make yourself a meatpole, you'll need to bring enough cordage or wire to do multiple wraps around the pole/tree juncture. I've used regular 550 paracord but I DON'T like it. It has too much stretch for my preferences, especially with several hundred pounds of weight added. The cat's meow is a roll of sturdy wire from the hardware store. You can wrap it once or twice and twist the ends to secure. It's strong and won't sag. Easy to take down when you leave, too. Just be sure you have a multi-tool with wire cutters, unless your teeth are very strong.

If wire won't work (perhaps due to weight restrictions) then I would recommend one of the better (smaller, stronger, low-stretch) cord bundles from a supplier like Lawson.
I have seen wire on a few different gear lists but was unsure as to the purpose, this makes loads of sense! Thanks for your feedback Kevin I always look forward to hearing your insight!

Back