Hardest units to draw CO

I’m planning on going out to elk hunt in 2-3 years. I just want to get some points but I have no way I can hunt this year or next. What units should I apply for points that almost guarantee I won’t draw? Unless I’m totally wrong on how points work and they are only for the unit you apply?
The western system is incredibly confusing, just look at Ohio’s rulebook if you want to see almost extreme simplicity and I think you’ll understand why I’m lost.

You can just apply for a point if you aren’t planning on hunting for this year. Points are for any unit but only for a specific species.

OP
T
It always surprises me how it is always the Agency's fault when people can't understand the regs, how about slowing down and actually reading them? I read the regulation books for every state I apply.
I’m not blaming the agency, but I don’t want to miss something. I’ve read the 2021 paper book and learned a lot from it, but it would suck if there was some small detail I managed to skim over and ended up costing myself an opportunity.

southLA

WKR
I’m planning on going out to elk hunt in 2-3 years. I just want to get some points but I have no way I can hunt this year or next. What units should I apply for points that almost guarantee I won’t draw? Unless I’m totally wrong on how points work and they are only for the unit you apply?
The western system is incredibly confusing, just look at Ohio’s rulebook if you want to see almost extreme simplicity and I think you’ll understand why I’m lost.

Preference Point Only Option​

This is available on the primary draw application only.

Preference points increase your chances of drawing a limited license. CPW awards preference points by species. When you don’t draw your first hunt choice, you automatically earn a preference point, except with desert bighorn sheep. Points cannot be used in the same year they are earned.

If you can’t hunt this year, but intend to in the future, apply for a preference point by entering the “preference point only” hunt code in the “first choice hunt code” on the application. See pages 3 and 9 in the Big Game Brochure for details.

OP
T

Preference Point Only Option​

This is available on the primary draw application only.

Preference points increase your chances of drawing a limited license. CPW awards preference points by species. When you don’t draw your first hunt choice, you automatically earn a preference point, except with desert bighorn sheep. Points cannot be used in the same year they are earned.

If you can’t hunt this year, but intend to in the future, apply for a preference point by entering the “preference point only” hunt code in the “first choice hunt code” on the application. See pages 3 and 9 in the Big Game Brochure for details.
Thanks!

Del Gue

FNG
It always surprises me how it is always the Agency's fault when people can't understand the regs, how about slowing down and actually reading them? I read the regulation books for every state I apply.
I guess everyone is not as wicked smart as you . Certainly not as rude as you either. These sites are set up for hunters to talk, gain knowledge and ask questions of each other.
You certainly deter people when you answer as you did.
Just saying……..

Elkhntr08

WKR
I guess everyone is not as wicked smart as you . Certainly not as rude as you either. These sites are set up for hunters to talk, gain knowledge and ask questions of each other.
You certainly deter people when you answer as you did.
Just saying……..
It has nothing to do with being smart, but rather everything to do with doing a little homework.
The OP obviously has no points and wants to hunt the hardest unit to draw in 2-3 years.
There’s guys that have 20 points, 20 years, and can’t draw those units.
I’ve said before, I’ll help anyone that has shown a little initiative and done some research. We were all new boots at one time.

Del Gue

FNG
It has nothing to do with being smart, but rather everything to do with doing a little homework.
The OP obviously has no points and wants to hunt the hardest unit to draw in 2-3 years.
There’s guys that have 20 points, 20 years, and can’t draw those units.
I’ve said before, I’ll help anyone that has shown a little initiative and done some research. We were all new boots at one time.
If a guy can’t understand something and he asks questions on this forum…….. what the heck is the big deal with you about it?
I have 29 pref pointst for Colorado. I have done lots of research over the years and still have asked the same type of questions as this guy. Can’t find all your answers from reading and research. Best info I got was from asking stupid questions from guys on forums like this who have first hand experience.
Again, it is guys like you who deter people from coming on and asking questions.

Elkhntr08

WKR
If a guy can’t understand something and he asks questions on this forum…….. what the heck is the big deal with you about it?
I have 29 pref pointst for Colorado. I have done lots of research over the years and still have asked the same type of questions as this guy. Can’t find all your answers from reading and research. Best info I got was from asking stupid questions from guys on forums like this who have first hand experience.
Again, it is guys like you who deter people from coming on and asking questions.
You quoted my post, but did you read it? Did you read the original post or just go into a rate?
I’m more than willing to help.
Obviously the OP has never read the regs or he wouldn’t ask which unit to apply for that he couldn’t draw so he’d get points!
You apply for points only, it’s black and white! Not something new.
If you can’t find the answer to that question, you probably shouldn’t be running around in the woods.

cnelk

WKR
I have 29 pref pointst for Colorado. I have done lots of research over the years and still have asked the same type of questions as this guy.

Well, in 29 years maybe you’re not asking the right questions?

I’ve hunted three top Colorado units in 30 years. I guess that’s from asking the right questions and of course being a resident helps. 👍

Del Gue

FNG
You quoted my post, but did you read it? Did you read the original post or just go into a rate?
I’m more than willing to help.
Obviously the OP has never read the regs or he wouldn’t ask which unit to apply for that he couldn’t draw so he’d get points!
You apply for points only, it’s black and white! Not something new.
I
Looks like you chimed in for S. Clancy. Obviously you were taking up for him. I thought you were him when I replied back. No biggie either way.
I am glad you are willing to help. But again.....what is the big deal with the OP's questions? Either help him out or move along. There are plenty of states who's hunting rules and regs confuse the hell out of me so much that I need help with them as well. Some of us don't grasp things as well or as quickly as others. What's the big deal? I thought that's what these sites are set up for. To help each other out. Not belittle one another.
The OP was open and honest about not understanding and being confused. Give the guy a break and don't jump down throat.

BTW, your quote below has got to be one of the stupidest, most condescending statements I have ever read.
"If you can’t find the answer to that question, you probably shouldn’t be running around in the woods."

Del Gue

FNG
Well, in 29 years maybe you’re not asking the right questions?

I’ve hunted three top Colorado units in 30 years. I guess that’s from asking the right questions and of course being a resident helps. 👍
Maybe you're right. So.....What is your point? In 29 years the point creep has increased and things have changed through out the state and so have my questions. I am not a resident like you. I don't have the inside scoop and advantages like you.
With 29 points I still can't get an elk hunt in the NW corner of the state. I am 61 years old now. I am told by Colorado wildlife agents and outfitters that because of the point creep. That I will most likely be in my 70's before I would draw a NW corner elk tag. (Keep in mind I started collecting points when I was 31)
With that said, I decided to cash in this year in a lesser unit. I am tired of giving the state of Colorado $115 each year just to collect preference points. I will be muzzleloader hunting unit 61 come this September.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Colorado regs are not well written. They aren’t hard to understand either but frustrating when you have to stop and find definitions for the language in there. Anyway that’s why we have forums, to help each other learn not bicker over little things like this.