Have T3x Lite Compact .223 - next up .270 low recoil?

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got a T3x lite compact .223 on the way for my daughter. She's 9 and small and skinny, and wants to start hunting. It seems to be the perfect starter rifle that she can use the rest of her life. I put her in for youth cow elk this year. I know the 77gr TMK are proven on elk but I was also thinking I could put her compact stock on my T3x Veil Wideland in .270win. I guess its an easy experiment that only costs a box of ammo but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with .270 low recoil ammunition. Also may keep an eye out for a compact 6.5CM just cause guns are cool ha! Thx

I say let her kill it with the 223. You won’t have to worry about finding or making reduced recoil loads and you already have a proven system that doesn’t recoil. Unless there is some other reason for not wanting to use the 223.

CMF

WKR
I haven't been able to find the reduced recoil for 270 lately, but my kids have been shooting 130grn 270 and it's not much difference than the reduced recoil 120gn.
The only way I'd shoot the 223 for elk is if she can't handle the 270. Even then, I'd try a 243 first.
Way more ammo options for the 6.5cm, that's what I'd get if I were buying another youth rifle.

PNWGATOR

WKR
There is ZERO chance I’d recommend anything besides a Tikka Compact T3x .223 w/UM or SWFA T084 rings, SWFA 6x milquad mil/mil and 77TMKs.

Z E R O!

She is nine! Give her a reliable delivery system built around a capable bullet with the lowest recoil and highest hit rates!

Set her up for success!!!!!

Have you read the .233 thread in it‘s entirety?

Jt89

FNG
Chop it to 20" barrel, flute it, suppress it, run the heaviest match grade ammo you can feed it off the shelf and tell your youngster to do her damndest to burn the barrel out. If she does, have it rebarrelled in .223AI, get a reloading setup and keep on truckin! She'll have a lightweight, low recoilling gun that will humiliate her boyfriends in high school. Couple of spare mags and get her doing some PRS shooting for fun and skills.

If I had a bit of cash to burn I'd be building a shortened, suppressed T3X in .223AI with a Schmidt & Bender Klassik 2.5-10x56 on it. Can't get SWFA optics here in New Zealand.

CMF

WKR
I'm not reading 300 pages about hunting big game with a 223. I don't doubt it can effectively put down the biggest of game in some, maybe most scenarios. Many hogs have been put down with a 22lr. But when shots aren't perfect, which they usually aren't, at least in my experience, is it going to perform as well as a larger caliber?
If a kid can't handle a larger gun because of recoil, certainly, shoot 223. That would be better than a gun they're scared of.
I think most people over rate the effects of recoil on kids. They are tougher than we give them credit for. It's more the noise that affects them, especially if shooting off a tripod or sled for practice. and once in the field they won't notice shooting at game.
I started my daughter with 223, then 243 that she killed her first deer with at 8, then 270 that she killed a few deer with. Last year at 14 she shot her Oryx with a 300win mag, and an elk this year with 50 cal muzzy.
My older son killed his first deer at 8 with 270, and at 11 got an elk with a 50 cal muzzy. At 13, now he shoots the muzzleloader for fun.

I'm not reading 300 pages about hunting big game with a 223. I don't doubt it can effectively put down the biggest of game in some, maybe most scenarios. Many hogs have been put down with a 22lr. But when shots aren't perfect, which they usually aren't, at least in my experience, is it going to perform as well as a larger caliber?
If a kid can't handle a larger gun because of recoil, certainly, shoot 223. That would be better than a gun they're scared of.
I think most people over rate the effects of recoil on kids. They are tougher than we give them credit for. It's more the noise that affects them, especially if shooting off a tripod or sled for practice. and once in the field they won't notice shooting at game.
I started my daughter with 223, then 243 that she killed her first deer with at 8, then 270 that she killed a few deer with. Last year at 14 she shot her Oryx with a 300win mag, and an elk this year with 50 cal muzzy.
My older son killed his first deer at 8 with 270, and at 11 got an elk with a 50 cal muzzy. At 13, now he shoots the muzzleloader for fun.
Lots of kids develop bad habits when they get promoted too quickly to higher recoiling rifles. Some kids tremble at the recoil while others can’t stand the noise. What I have learned is all kids are different. Some progress much quicker than others. As stated multiple times on this message board, shoot the biggest cartridge you can comfortably and reliably shoot. For most people it’s much smaller than we’d like to admit. I’d say that 223 with the right bullet would surprise most of us that haven’t given it a fair shake.

Reactions: CMF

CMF

WKR
Lots of kids develop bad habits when they get promoted too quickly to higher recoiling rifles. Some kids tremble at the recoil while others can’t stand the noise. What I have learned is all kids are different. Some progress much quicker than others. As stated multiple times on this message board, shoot the biggest cartridge you can comfortably and reliably shoot. For most people it’s much smaller than we’d like to admit. I’d say that 223 with the right bullet would surprise most of us that haven’t given it a fair shake.
Agree.
Never let them shoot without ear protection when practicing. And we try to limit it while hunting, but we've shot a few big game without it.
I plan on getting some of these for next season, so we can still communicate while having ear protection while hunting. https://otoprotechnologies.com/products/otopro-impulse
The electronic would be nice, but can't drop that kind of money on something I'm sure we'll lose.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I loaded up some 85gr TSX bullets for my .270, and recoil is low enough to spot your hits through the scope. But as for factory low recoil ammo.......I have no idea what's available.

I (and most other adult males if they are honest) don't enjoy 270 level recoil from a lightweight bare muzzle rifle. Effectively zero chance a 9 YO girl isn't going to be shy of the recoil even if she tells dad it's fine to make him happy. Lord willing my girls take an interest in shooting/hunting, I'll never put 270 level recoil in their hands because it's not necessary.

I was "fine" with 12 ga slug recoil when i was 12 too. In reality it's still too much damn recoil.

OP
Cannonball

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Well it looks like the card didnt get hit for this year so she has some time to do a lot of shooting and figure out what works best for her. And she has options. Here is the .223 and for good measure a matching 6.5CM :ROFLMAO: .

Both have Trijicon Huron 3-9x40. They have optilock rings on there for now and may look into UM rings once the 1' are available. The 6.5 got the orange pistol grip so we can be sure not to mix them up. I may try a digital camo spray job on it. Threading and cerakote may come down the line. We do a lot of SxS rides and keeping one of these in the car will be handy. We saw 4 lions out quail hunting over Thanksgiving but only had shotguns and sidearms.

I still may try putting one of the compact stocks on the .270 just to see.

C2A6A0FC-F9F7-4CAA-B8FE-706791642C58.jpeg

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
Well it looks like the card didnt get hit for this year so she has some time to do a lot of shooting and figure out what works best for her. And she has options. Here is the .223 and for good measure a matching 6.5CM :ROFLMAO: .

Both have Trijicon Huron 3-9x40. They have optilock rings on there for now and may look into UM rings once the 1' are available. The 6.5 got the orange pistol grip so we can be sure not to mix them up. I may try a digital camo spray job on it. Threading and cerakote may come down the line. We do a lot of SxS rides and keeping one of these in the car will be handy. We saw 4 lions out quail hunting over Thanksgiving but only had shotguns and sidearms.

I still may try putting one of the compact stocks on the .270 just to see.
Now you have my blood pressure up, just checked card, and have a hold from AZ. didn't realize that was happening today....
With the 6.5 you can find plenty range of ammo off the shelf, practice with lighter weight, and stick a heavier bullet in for hunting...

I (and most other adult males if they are honest) don't enjoy 270 level recoil from a lightweight bare muzzle rifle. Effectively zero chance a 9 YO girl isn't going to be shy of the recoil even if she tells dad it's fine to make him happy. Lord willing my girls take an interest in shooting/hunting, I'll never put 270 level recoil in their hands because it's not necessary.

I was "fine" with 12 ga slug recoil when i was 12 too. In reality it's still too much damn recoil.
Yeah, throw a few in the magazine without primers and see how bad they are flinching.

eric1115

WKR
I'd approach from the other direction. Shoot the smallest cartridge that puts a good bullet at effective upset velocity at your maximum needed range. For most people it's smaller than we'd like to think.

I'd approach from the other direction. Shoot the smallest cartridge that puts a good bullet at effective upset velocity at your maximum needed range. For most people it's smaller than we'd like to think.
No, I said what I meant, but your last sentence is spot on.

Maverick1

WKR
There is ZERO chance I’d recommend anything besides a Tikka Compact T3x .223 w/UM or SWFA T084 rings, SWFA 6x milquad mil/mil and 77TMKs.

Z E R O!

She is nine! Give her a reliable delivery system built around a capable bullet with the lowest recoil and highest hit rates!

Set her up for success!!!!!

Tell us how you really feel……:)

eric1115

WKR
No, I said what I meant, but your last sentence is spot on.
I think we're not so far apart in reality, especially when talking about kids.

I can comfortably and reliably shoot a suppressed 7mm RM, but I'm moving to smaller cartridges as my preferred delivery system. I see no reason to shoot a system that makes spotting my own shots more difficult, when there is one that's easier to spot, less expensive to feed, and still puts an effective killing bullet at reliable upset velocity out to 900 yards at my elevation.

I guess it probably depends on definitions. Maybe if comfort includes reliably seeing my own impacts through the scope it doesn't meet your criteria for a cartridge I can effectively shoot.

I think we're not so far apart in reality, especially when talking about kids.

I can comfortably and reliably shoot a suppressed 7mm RM, but I'm moving to smaller cartridges as my preferred delivery system. I see no reason to shoot a system that makes spotting my own shots more difficult, when there is one that's easier to spot, less expensive to feed, and still puts an effective killing bullet at reliable upset velocity out to 900 yards at my elevation.

I guess it probably depends on definitions. Maybe if comfort includes reliably seeing my own impacts through the scope it doesn't meet your criteria for a cartridge I can effectively shoot.
My point was more if you shoot a both a 223 and say a 308 equally well, take the 308. But if you can’t shoot the 308 near as well, you might try something smaller. Like you, I’m trending downward. I’ve used a 223 for deer hunting and wasn’t in love. I currently own a rokslide special and will give it another go. The 223 thread has definitely got my attention. But I’ve also got a 25cm barrel on order that will end up being my go to rifle. I have a tikka 30-06 and it shoots great, but it’ll be mainly for back up duty or possibly wet weather since it has some finish issues. But if those three, I would expect myself to shoot both the 223 and 25cm equally well, still use the 25 more. My youngest child, will stay with the 223 until she can adequately move up, and I’m sure it’ll be awhile. Shoot the biggest cartridge you can comfortably and reliably shoot. Just my views on it. But as you said, most likely it’s much smaller than what most are using.

CMF

WKR
I feel like that makes sense if you're waiting for a perfect broadside shot. I'm not.
I agree with picketpuncher, "shoot the biggest cartridge you can comfortably and reliably shoot"
because we're hunting public land pressured animals and taking the first good opportunity we can make. If that's a quartering or frontal shot, I feel much better with the biggest than the smallest.