Youth rifle idea's for western Montana

Lil dude

FNG
So western Montana based with 2 kids coming of age in the 9-11 y/o range. Of course deer and antelope will be first but cow elk will be right behind or at the same time. I know there are a ton of threads out there on rifle brands and calibers. I've narrowed the calibers down to 7mm.08/6.5 CM/.308/or maybe even a .270.

Without getting into to deep a discussion on everyones favorite caliber for kids what compact rifle models are out there as well as scopes. To me it seems everyone has a youth model now and they are all super similar with a 18-20" barrel, adjustable trigger @ 2-4 pounds, and an adjustable stock for length of pull. They also are all black synthetic with blued barrels. Give me your other ideas. The only thing I see is that the .270 is not coming in a compact version anywhere.

I'd love to get them to just go the .270 route with low recoil ammo for a while and be one and done. Any brands out there in both a compact and lite version that people really like in these calibers. I see the Tikka T3X lite compact is about $769 but doesn't come in a .270 but does in all the other aforementioned calibers and at the lower end the Ruger American is in the $450 range but the reviews on it are 50/50 mix.

Shoot me scope ideas for the kiddos as well as I haven't even started looking. Preference would probably be Vortex but I have an old Weaver that has just been bombproof for 30 years.

Just looking for ideas.

Maybe I'll get out of my FNG status now......I mean I only joined in march of 2013!!!!!

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
I started with a 270 browning bar with a gunsmith muzzlebrake. No recoil with the brake, heavy weight, and a semi auto.

Wrench

WKR
Howa youth model will come with a full size stock too. The other option is to go chassis and adjust to fit.

mlob1one

WKR
I've gotten my kids a Ruger American 7mm-08 for the boys and a Weatherby Camilla (great for a gal) in the same caliber for my girl. They've both done remarkably well and have both taken elk cows out to 400 yards.
I initially went with Vortex, but am converted to Leupold. Durability and clarity won out. I have 2 vx3's on them. The Camilla 3.5-10x and the 4.5-14x in the Ruger.

I've even used the 'kid's' Ruger on a cow at 350. No complaints.

They're now grown, and my wife loves shooting the Camilla.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Tradchef

WKR
I know my lady uses a Tikka 7mm-08 and it is a fantastic cartridge. She’s taken plenty of mule deer, bull elk and cow elk with it and it absolutely hammers them. I would say any of those would do you well. I haven’t hunted with a 6.5cm only shot paper so I can’t comment on that but the other 3 you can’t go wrong. My vote is the 7mm- 08 🤙🤙🤙 As for scopes I’m a leupold fan so I’d say a vx3 hd would be my choice

Rich M

WKR
So western Montana based with 2 kids coming of age in the 9-11 y/o range. Of course deer and antelope will be first but cow elk will be right behind or at the same time. I know there are a ton of threads out there on rifle brands and calibers. I've narrowed the calibers down to 7mm.08/6.5 CM/.308/or maybe even a .270.

Without getting into to deep a discussion on everyones favorite caliber for kids what compact rifle models are out there as well as scopes. To me it seems everyone has a youth model now and they are all super similar with a 18-20" barrel, adjustable trigger @ 2-4 pounds, and an adjustable stock for length of pull. They also are all black synthetic with blued barrels. Give me your other ideas. The only thing I see is that the .270 is not coming in a compact version anywhere.

I'd love to get them to just go the .270 route with low recoil ammo for a while and be one and done. Any brands out there in both a compact and lite version that people really like in these calibers. I see the Tikka T3X lite compact is about $769 but doesn't come in a .270 but does in all the other aforementioned calibers and at the lower end the Ruger American is in the $450 range but the reviews on it are 50/50 mix.

Shoot me scope ideas for the kiddos as well as I haven't even started looking. Preference would probably be Vortex but I have an old Weaver that has just been bombproof for 30 years.

Just looking for ideas.

Maybe I'll get out of my FNG status now......I mean I only joined in march of 2013!!!!!
Most of the negative Ruger American reviews are from folks who are too damn picky or never seen one - you can look at all the negatives for the gen 2 and they never even seen one.. if You want a 1 and done, Ruger American is as good as any other if you are gonna run it straight off the shelf.

The 2nd gen has stock insert which i think are cheezy but may be right up your alley for the kids. $600 with radial brake. Supposed to be offered in all the calibers you like. 20 inch barrel.

Im happy w my ranch and it is a 0.5 moa gun when my shooting is up to par. Never touched a gen 2 but looking to find one in a gun shop to fondle.

As for scopes i switched from leupold and leica and vortex to burris and bushnell. Funny how this is panning out. Once a scope changes zero for no good reason or fails to move when i dial it, i get something else.

Good luck.

KenLee

WKR
I often see Tikka T3x compact stocks for sale reasonable on this and other forums.
All should work on a standard T3x 270, as Tikka receivers are all long action length.

Expecting a gun to feed, extract, be accurate, have a safe trigger and provide a solid scope mounting solution is not being picky, it's being reasonable. However, that list also eliminates pretty much all typical factory rifles except tikka, Sauer and sako.

A T3x compact, 6.5 creed, swfa 6x or 3-9 in unknown munitions or sportsmatch rings is a one and done rifle purchase, minus the bluing. The other good way to skin the cat is a stainless tikka and scrounging a compact stock second hand, which is doable.

With kids, suppressors are great, and recoil is bad. Don't over gun them, and don't use a brake.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I would take a hard look at the ruger gen 2 it pretty much has everything you are asking for. Also Leupold VX3 is hard to beat. 7-08 would be the caliber I would pick if I had a new hunter in the family

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
I have an older Weatherby Vanguard in .270. That thing kicks like a mule. Always has and always will. It doesn't have a muzzle break.
Have a newer Hell's Canyon in 6.5 cm. I've shot 4 cow elk longest so far has been 529 yards. Dropped it.
Closest has been 250 yards. Dropped it too.
Teach them shot placement first then go from there.
My first ever rifle was a pre 64 Winchester .308 still have it and it really kicks like a mule.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it for groups yet but this Howa super lite is pretty nice so far.

IMG_9043.jpg

If you dont go with one of these the youth model X-bolt with the muzzle brake is really nice as well. Either in 7MM-08 or in .308 it would serve them well for a long time.

jimh406

WKR
I'd avoid the 270 since they have considerable more kick for a bit more power. Instead, I'd consider the 7mm-08 with 120 gr, 6.5 with 120s, 6mm Creedmoor or 243 or even 308 with lighter bullets. You can always go with a second rifle in the future if needed.

I'd also suggest a suppressor instead of brake. From all I know, noise has a big impact on flinching, obviously, brakes increase noise while suppressors do the opposite.

The Ruger American Gen 2 has adjustments with spacers. I think it would be a good idea to get a measurement for what length of pull you might need and then shop.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I have 4 kids with the oldest @ 11yo right now. My kids definitely have my slim build so recoil was a big concern for me.

I ended up with a braked browning micro Midas in 6.5cm and a Leupold vx-3 scope. Seems to fit my oldest well so far.

I built a 6mm arc on a Howa mini action for my 12 year old daughter. I stated with a carbon barreled action from brownells and picked up a stock from stockys. Right now it weighs 5.85 lbs with the scope on it.

hunt1up

WKR
I went back and forth on this when I bought the first compact rifle for my kids. I settled on a Tikka 308 compact. Thought being that I'd run reduced recoil loads then step up from there. My daughter shot a cow elk of a tripod with it with 150 grain accubonds and it was just fine. But, that short, light gun in 308 has some noticeable snap to it. Both my kids disliked shooting it off bags and when I'd personally shoot it in rotation with my full sized guns I'll admit it had some substantial recoil for what it is.

Fast forward to this season and both my kids preferred to shoot my full size lefty(they're right handed) custom in 6.5. They both shot an antelope with that and loved it. The recoil is substantially less. Granted it's a longer and heavier gun, so it's not apples to apples.

I'd go 6.5 or 7mm-08 if I was buying them a gun again. I might actually pick up another Tikka or a Ruger Gen 2 in 6.5 for them to try.

ianpadron

WKR
Imho all of those cartridges are better 2nd guns for kids than 1st.

You just described the ideal use for a fast twist .223 and 77 TMKs. Surprised no one else has brought it up so far given the hype (all deserved) that combo has garnered.

Basically zero recoil, with a can basically no noise...kids can practice A LOT for cheap and become highly proficient. Plenty of gun out to 450 ish.

Marshfly

WKR
Imho all of those cartridges are better 2nd guns for kids than 1st.

You just described the ideal use for a fast twist .223 and 77 TMKs. Surprised no one else has brought it up so far given the hype (all deserved) that combo has garnered.

Basically zero recoil, with a can basically no noise...kids can practice A LOT for cheap and become highly proficient. Plenty of gun out to 450 ish.
This is the right answer. 6.5CM at the MAX.

My 13YO is 5'7" and 130#. So adult sized. He hates shooting my 270 but spots shots with his Tikka 6.5CM. Loves it even more suppressed. He laughs at how easy to shoot the Tikka 223 is.

I had a friend, 6'3" and over 200#, try the 6.5CM when I noticed him flinching with his 308 with a crappy stock design. He immediately sold it to build a 6.5 and shoots all the time now. If you want people (not kids, PEOPLE) to enjoy shooting, have them shoot low recoiling rifles.

Marshfly

WKR
@Lil dude just realized you said Western Montana. If you are near Missoula, I'd be happy to let your kids shoot the 223 and 6.5CM Tikkas. The 6.5 is a lefty but it will still be a good representation. Both are threaded and can be shot suppressed as well.