Have you ever gone too light?

Select all that apply

• Total voters

taskswap

WKR
I once fractured my heel in a slip/fall down some loose shale that I blame on low quality footwear. I swore from then on I would pay for firearm first and boots second, even before optics, clothing, or literally anything else.

How many animals have you packed with yours? And roughly how heavy are each of those loads? Just wondering…

4 animals 3 elk, 1 deer in my xcurve. Average packout 6 miles one way Field loads vary, up to probably 90#. Also trained with my sg multiple times a week from 2017-april 2023, weight from 30-94#. I did break 1 stay putting down a training load too hard, and after 6 years some stitching on the belt came loose. Sg replaced both no questions. I replaced it with a k4 solely for the improved bag layout, keeping the sg as a loaner for my kids.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I've packed numerous elk, mountain goat, black bears with my SG and haven't had anything fail.
i wouldn't hesitate to get a SG. i also own a kifaru

With my first SG frame fail I had only a handful of mule deer loads. 100lbs max. By my second hip strap fail I had a few elk, a moose, and another 5-10 deer (can’t remember). But on the load out that broke I was pushing 120 lbs, still that shouldn’t be an issue. Since then on the same repaired frame I’ve had another 3 elk and 5-6 deer.

Edit: By hip strap I mean the main shoulder strap that connects to the belt.

Maybe I just had bad luck.

I’m still using my SG because I like it other than these issues and don’t want to fork out another 600-1000 bucks for a new pack yet. If it fails one more time I’ll move on to another brand.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Once...

Was forced into an extra day on a solo trip and had run out of food. Had a brutal afternoon, evening and following morning at and above treeline, large vertical gain, large vertical loss, many miles, burning big calories, with only water.

Learned me a lesson, I did.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Pacific_Fork sorry if I missed it but what was the outcome with your sg pack, was it warranted and did they elaborate on what exactly happened?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
@fngTony yes it was warrantied both times and they repaired and sent back to me in a timely matter. No complaints here as far as SG customer service goes. They did not know why my frame failed both times and said it was very unusual.

I can see the reason why the stay failed by coming through the nylon bottoms. Possibly from rubbing on granite rock when taking a seat/break with a heavy load. But it happened pretty quickly when the frame only had a couple seasons on it. Since that repair no issues with the stays, they reinforced both ends well. As far as the hip/shoulder strap fail that nearly injured me I can’t come up with a reason nor could they. The threading just ripped out of the hip belt with no warning signs of a tear. Like I said above I had around 120lbs of mule deer and gear. I don’t do any above normal abuse on my gear, but I do use it more often than the average person.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@fngTony yes it was warrantied both times and they repaired and sent back to me in a timely matter. No complaints here as far as SG customer service goes. They did not know why my frame failed both times and said it was very unusual.

I can see the reason why the stay failed by coming through the nylon bottoms. Possibly from rubbing on granite rock when taking a seat/break with a heavy load. But it happened pretty quickly when the frame only had a couple seasons on it. Since that repair no issues with the stays, they reinforced both ends well. As far as the hip/shoulder strap fail that nearly injured me I can’t come up with a reason nor could they. The threading just ripped out of the hip belt with no warning signs of a tear. Like I said above I had around 120lbs of mule deer and gear. I don’t do any above normal abuse on my gear, but I do use it more often than the average person.
Thanks! Stuff like this is valuable to people researching products

How many animals have you packed with yours? And roughly how heavy are each of those loads? Just wondering…
Overall I’d still say SG packs are great. Mine has packed 2 bison, 3 moose, 5-6 elk, 15ish deer/antelope, a few bears and more… and hundreds of training rucks. After 6 years I did noticed the load shifting a bit and stopped by, the epoxy on one of the stays had given out and was twisting, replaced no question.
I say that to say I wouldn’t be too discourage by your bad luck, stick with them if you like the pack.

Rock-o

WKR
To those that answered "Bag, pad" - does /too light/ mean not enough temperature rating or /too light/ in quality that it didn't hold up? If the former what was the gear and temp rating and what conditions did it not work in vs what did you expect from it?

ChrisAU

WKR
Sleeping pad. Took my dumbass a couple years to realize that a few extra oz that is only toted into camp and then out at the end for a pad that you can actually get a good night's rest on is worth it.

Cheechako

FNG
BRS stove for sure, it’s horribly inefficient compared to a jetboil flash with the same pot at near freezing temperatures and caused us to run out fuel early on a dall sheep hunt. It’s a great back up, but won’t be my primary again.

striped1

FNG
Ha! We were going to treat ourselves to a nice meal at a sports bar but my partner says “we’ve been hunting for nine days, we stink, we’ll get kicked out of there so we’re just going to Taco Bell”.
You should see / smell us when we roll into Crested Butte after a week or more in the mountains. All the pretty people and us. Stache pizza is at least kind enough to say they don't mind when we apologize for the earthy undertones...

Perhaps. I now prefer adding lubricants instead of abrasives to that region. Vaseline is amazing.
I use gold bond every day and it prevents the chaffe without being abrasive. I can totally understand vaseline as a barrier if you already had some irritation, but i don't care for anything greasy on my hands or underparts unless necessary. Hell I don't ever use hand lotion unless the cracks on my knuckles won't stop bleeding, and then I grab that working hands stuff.

JP100

WKR
Done a few trips with no sleeping bag and pad.....to save weight.....

Turns out its ******* cold above tree line, even in summer time

Also have done short trips with virtually no shelter at all.

On 2-3 day trips you can often get the weather forecast right, but still not that pleasant