Have you ever gone too light?

Select all that apply

• Total voters

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Tried tarp camping once to save weight and others said it was drier than tent camping. By the time you add tarp, ground sheet, cordage, pegs, waterproof bivvy due to splash back from open tarp, bug netting, etc. you should just bring a decent tent. They are also a pain to setup without good trees or being forced to bring poles (more weight).

Even worse, if you get hit with bad weather in a tarp, it is in no way drier/warmer than a Hilleberg tent for instance. I'll take the extra weight every day of a good shelter. It could save your life.

Also I was in a group of hardcore hikers and used to hike with ultralight guys but we stopped allowing them to come. We called them ultramoochers. They talked about how light their kit was but were always needing to borrow stuff from everyone else on the trail.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Done a few trips with no sleeping bag and pad.....to save weight.....

Turns out its ******* cold above tree line, even in summer time

Also have done short trips with virtually no shelter at all.
Yeah, back in my 20’s I did that, curl up in a deer bed on the mountain and throw a piece of plastic over me if it starts raining. Then I moved up- to a tube tent- Ha!

Forty years ago, we didn’t have the gear choices we have now….AND I was fine sleeping on the ground or pine boughs in my 20s and early 30s…not so much now

S.Clancy

WKR
With my first SG frame fail I had only a handful of mule deer loads. 100lbs max. By my second hip strap fail I had a few elk, a moose, and another 5-10 deer (can’t remember). But on the load out that broke I was pushing 120 lbs, still that shouldn’t be an issue. Since then on the same repaired frame I’ve had another 3 elk and 5-6 deer.

Edit: By hip strap I mean the main shoulder strap that connects to the belt.

Maybe I just had bad luck.

I’m still using my SG because I like it other than these issues and don’t want to fork out another 600-1000 bucks for a new pack yet. If it fails one more time I’ll move on to another brand.
Interesting. I just picked up a Terminus 7000 to pair with my original EXO K1 (bought in 2014). The K1 has over 40 animals (60:40 spilt elk to deer/antelope). I just replaced the waist belt and shoulder straps because the old ones felt like rope while I was wearing it. My only issue with EXO was the early Gen bag zippers, those things sucked. Otherwise it has been a beast. We shall see how the Terminus holds up, it's been fine with a few limited rucks (70lbs).

rcb2000

WKR
Not an option on your list, but I went too light with my sleeping bag last year and won’t ever do that again.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Black diamond FLZ’s. After breaking 2 poles in 2 sets, I contacted BD. “FLZ’s aren’t meant for heavy use” was the reply (along with warranty replaced with the alpine carbon corks). The FLZ’s are nice, but to light for anything serious ime.

I broke two pairs of FLZ's- I believe it's a flaw in the design, as both of my breaks were in the exact same spot. BD was good and replaced both pairs, but the last pair I got were the Alpine Cork- no more FLZ's for me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not an option on your list, but I went too light with my sleeping bag last year and won’t ever do that again.

Guilty of that numerous times; the worse was bringing a 50 degree bag (weighs a svelte 12 oz!) for a trip to high mountain lake, the NOAA Spot forecast for this lake was lows in the mid 40's- not a terrible stretch for a 50 degree bag.

Absolutely froze my ass off, as did my poor dog- he was crawled in with me adding a least a little warmth.

When I woke there was a lot of ice in my water bottle, so much for the NOAA forecast!

WhiskeyDoc

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. On my first ever real backpacking outing. I grew up car camping in Florida. Moved to Colorado on my own when I was 19. Went on a solo overnight to Golden Gate Canyon State Park. What’s the worst that could happen?

It was probably about March or so. All I took for a sleep system was a Mylar emergency blanket. (I was used to Florida). Ironically I went way heavy on the shelter with a Coleman 4 man tent. But I froze my bumcheeks off. Also all I had for nutrition was cans…. Yes cans… of pork and beans, and a milk jug full of water. No water filter.

I somehow survived 3 days back there and loved every bit of it. Although I don’t think I slept a wink. But I then started saving for better gear and got some professional pointers from the local REI!

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Worst bit of gear I went light on was a sleeping bag.

Thought been summer I'd get away with my (pretty old) light sleeping bag, yeah I was too cold above tree line.
Went to the nearest town, bought a new summer bag and it's been great since then.

WyoHuntr

FNG
Skinny / uninsulated sleeping pad. As a wide shouldered dude, I spent half the night with an arm on the cold ground. Bad sleep and failing to stay warm all night wears you down. In general I've plus'ed up my sleep system. Too many unexpected freezing cold fronts. I'd rather take the weight penalty, than get worn down trying to warm myself up all week.

Tried to save weight on my tent and bought a Zpacks Duplex. I'm sure it would be great in dry areas, but the condensation from the single wall design was wild. Camped in a cloud and woke up in a pool.

Switched back to my Hilleberg Anjan, never looked back.

mlgc20

WKR
When I went through my really obsessive ultralight phase, I tried going without a sleeping pad. It was archery season in Central Oregon, so the weather wasn't an issue. But my gosh was it uncomfortable.

Always went Uber light while in the military. We did a lot of training in the woods, which started by jumping out of an airplane and then walking for 10-15 days “training”. I generally did the bivy with a poncho liner and had a polypro top for warmth under a skimpy rain jacket. Eventually I upgraded to a set of puffy pants and a jacket, but still froze at night.

Now I can go light, but the gear is soooo much better!

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I tried to go ultra light by using a quilt only to discover that they stink. Not enough surface area to keep me covered. The drafts kept causing me to wake. I’ve since swapped to a stone glacier 0 degree bag and love it. In warmer months, I just unzip it and use it like a big blanket. No drafts. Sleep like a baby.

Also trying to use a smaller bag. I tried the ole buy a smaller bag because if you buy a bigger bag you’ll just fill it with stuff you don’t need ; only to find out that I like having all those “luxuries”.

Last edited:

tttoadman

WKR
I tried a bivy. didnt like the confinement for just a couple of oz.

tried the super minney air pads from Klymit. Couldnt move the next day.

took a zero rated bag to the Frank in November without rerally understanding how bags are rated and most lie. I froze my ass off for 2 weeks. bought a -20 expedition bag when I got home.

I flattened a copper spur spur tent in the snow. I now have nothing but center pole shelters with nests that can take snow.

I now have nothing but Exped long wide insulated pads. The insulated pad can allow for a lighter bag early season.

WCB

WKR
Bow-had some back pack archery trips planed for a couple years so bought a Bowtech Carbon Icon. Absolutely the two worst years of shooting of my archery life. Even adding weight via stabilizers back bar etc. it just didn't work. My old bow was about 1 1/4 lbs heavier and sold the Carbon Icon to a friend and now have two Bowtech Prodigys that are a little over 1lb heaver bare bow WAY better.

Didn't put in a vote. But as a guy going on my first backpacking trip (solo) next week, and working towards accumulating all the right gear over the next several years. This thread has been valuable.

I know my pack will be way too heavy this year. I'm okay with that. I'll learn what I "needed", what I didn't need, and what I wish I'd have had for the next trip.

BDRam16

WKR
Last year for me was a crappy pillow 100%. Slept like crap and had an awful neck ache for a week. I’m debating actually taking 2 this year because I’m bouncing back from my second neck injury and I’d rather carry the weight than deal with soreness for my whole trip.

My two investments this off-season were actually to go lighter so I hope I don’t post those up here when I get back lol. Going to a BA Zoom UL pad which is a HUGE upgrade to the awful Klymit I was running, even at a lighter weight. And going from a 0* bag to a 20* quilt. I toss and turn a lot so that’s more a comfort thing anyways, but I hope the 20* is enough fill.