Have you ever seen a wolverine in the Lower 48?

Have you ever seen a wolverine in the lower 48 states?

• Yes

Votes: 63 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 115 64.6%

• Total voters
I’ve seen three in the last couple years in SW Montana. This is the only one I’ve got a photo of. Watched him work along the opposite side of this lake for about 30 minutes.

ff23cbd17f95b2fc040b452585dd0c8f.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw one last fall while deer hunting in northwest Wyoming and saw another six or so summers ago in the park.

In 2017, my buddy and I were backpack deer hunting in western wyoming and had tracks from one right into our camp in the snow. Came to the base of a tree we had a buck hanging in and left. Weirdest looking track in the snow but confirmed by wgfd biologists as a wolverine.

I saw oneon the north slope of the brooks range in 2015 while caribou hunting as well.

One side story about wolverines. We were snowshoeing through the Bob Marshall one winter near the Chinese Wall and came across a set of wolverine tracks headed the way we were. We followed them a bit, but veered off when it looked like an easier way. Before too long, we were back on his tracks. We saw an opportunity for easier going (so we thought) and veered off his tracks again, only to get back on his tracks once more.

This happened several times over the course of a couple of miles. We were off his tracks for quite awhile when came to the pass we needed and again his tracks going through the same pass.

We looked back and could see that his route was a dead straight line from where we first picked up his tracks to this pass. Ours? Was a crookedly line going up/down and around.

Lesson learned, follow the wolverine tracks, he didn’t waste a single step! :D

In 2019 my hunting partner and I saw one while hunting in UT but were actually in very southern Idaho when we saw the wolverine. There was a hawk pestering something on the ground about 150 yards off the road. We determined that it was a wolverine, so we took off to get a bit closer. It was totally unaware of us as it was loping from sage to sage looking for lunch. We finally got to about 30 yards and it noticed us, arched his back and growled and then took off into the timber. First for either of us, he is a retired biologist and I have a degree in wildlife management. Will try to dig up a picture.Wolverine.jpg

Last edited:
Back