Having a tough time with Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Ti in .280 Ackley...

Yep - I agree with you Dave. $200 is still less than i would have spent in time and money to come to whatever conclusion this ended up being.

I guess I should deeply and profusely apologize to the cognoscenti that I have forgotten about a singular negative review of the Mk5 scope that they posted over a month ago.

So ya, I was frustrated by the attitude by which everyone is providing "sage" advice.

So that everyone can feel like they've properly schooled me, I'm currently looking for Nightforce dealers with good pricing - that work?

I flagellate myself deeply before you Rokslide. My passions exceeded my control.
I just read a post on Long Range Hunting (IIRC) that Optics Planet is having a large sale on Nightforce blemished scopes.

I perused their add and they had quite the selection at discount. SHV, NX8 and ATACRs.

Good luck to ya. Having a hard time grouping a rifle is a bummer for me too.

Last edited:
Lightweight rifle set ups are just plain more difficult to shoot. I have a kimber Montana in 30-06 that took me quite a few range sessions to figure out. It was actually my second go round with a kimber as I sent my first one down the road as I figured I lost at "kimber roulette " . Turns out it was my shooting technique that needed refined. I had my son who is typically a pretty decent shooter shooting it last weekend as it is what he wanted to try out west this year on our elk hunt. He was getting around 3 MOA on a rifle I know is capable of regularly staying just under an inch. I'm actually moving him to a standard weight rifle I had rebarreled to 280 ai . The extra 1.5 pounds won't kill him and he immediately shot it well.
Maybe it was the scope and mounts, but statistically speaking ( rates of failure) I would still look to form. Like I said about my first kimber, I spent a bunch of money to find out it was the Indian not the arrow. In no way is this a dig on you, I also did some competitive shooting and considered myself better than the average shooter but those lightweights are a different animal.
Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

Get someone to reload 160ab using rl26.

My Wby BC 1.0 in 280ai shoots that combo half moa, using the dreaded vortex lht and talley lws.

Tracks like a hound on a rabbit trail, btw.

Used the same combo in my brother's cooper timberline in 280ai...same results.

Another combo that worked well, was 150bt and rl26.

My brother's cooper also liked the nosler 160 partition factory load. Sub moa.

Bottom line, use hand loads if you can.

At what point did you come to the conclusion that it was the rifle and not you?
On that rifle, it was around 150 rounds, multiple scopes, multiple stocks. Still was a 2moa rifle

With a known scope and or multiple scopes, and a couple applicable bullets, if it’s not showing promise in 100 rounds I’m not going to waste more time on it.

Same goes for problem barrels.

In the grand scheme the price of a barrel is cheap compared to your time and the cost of ammo and components.

I’m my late night desperation to find a solution that I couldn’t find on the work bench or the shooting bench, I’ve read every word of this thread. I have a 2.0 steel 280ai that has not put an MOA group on paper since I brought it home. Current round count is 96. Break in was done per weatherby recommendation just for giggles, Factory ammo on hand were Nosler trophy grade 160NP and nos 140bt. I hand load at what id consider “advanced” level and a usually turn out loads with 10round single digit to low teen extreme spreads. 150gr ELDX and 145 LRX showed almost no promise across the board. My dope book shows I’ve averaged across the last 20 3 round groups just north of 2.2” with more than a few that measured 3+. I’m a competent shooter and capable of 3/4-1/2 minute groups when the rifle performs and have done so consistently with other rifles. The scope is a VX3HD in backcountry ring mounts. It’s not the scope. I’ve shot it on a proven rifle during this whole shenanigans and it’s not the mounts either as I’ve gone between those and 1piece rail and rings with no change. Bore has been cleaned fully of any copper deposits with #9 original and #9 bench rest. Tipton rod and jags. Nylon brushes. I’ve shot from bags and from a sled. It makes no difference. I’ve also opened an RMA and will most likely be sending it back on Monday to watch $200 get flushed down the drain. Im curious if you have any additional follow up based on your experience. Have you received it back and if so have you tested it? There are so many great accuracy reports on these rifles than negative ones, but you seem to be experiencing my worst fear which is paying weatherby $200 to tell me that I just don’t know how to shoot, which I’m confident isn’t the case. Please keep me apprised.

I’m my late night desperation to find a solution that I couldn’t find on the work bench or the shooting bench, I’ve read every word of this thread. I have a 2.0 steel 280ai that has not put an MOA group on paper since I brought it home. Current round count is 96. Break in was done per weatherby recommendation just for giggles, Factory ammo on hand were Nosler trophy grade 160NP and nos 140bt. I hand load at what id consider “advanced” level and a usually turn out loads with 10round single digit to low teen extreme spreads. 150gr ELDX and 145 LRX showed almost no promise across the board. My dope book shows I’ve averaged across the last 20 3 round groups just north of 2.2” with more than a few that measured 3+. I’m a competent shooter and capable of 3/4-1/2 minute groups when the rifle performs and have done so consistently with other rifles. The scope is a VX3HD in backcountry ring mounts. It’s not the scope. I’ve shot it on a proven rifle during this whole shenanigans and it’s not the mounts either as I’ve gone between those and 1piece rail and rings with no change. Bore has been cleaned fully of any copper deposits with #9 original and #9 bench rest. Tipton rod and jags. Nylon brushes. I’ve shot from bags and from a sled. It makes no difference. I’ve also opened an RMA and will most likely be sending it back on Monday to watch $200 get flushed down the drain. Im curious if you have any additional follow up based on your experience. Have you received it back and if so have you tested it? There are so many great accuracy reports on these rifles than negative ones, but you seem to be experiencing my worst fear which is paying weatherby $200 to tell me that I just don’t know how to shoot, which I’m confident isn’t the case. Please keep me apprised.

Have you had a friend who is a good shot try it?

I had a Bergara I just couldn't get shoot groups. My friend could. I figured it was a fit issue and sold it.

Mine 2.0 ti steel barrelled 280 is showing good promise. I shot three shot groups with .5 grain increase during break in. I am using hammer hunters and 4831 sc.

I've received it back.

I've bought a Nightforce ATACR that's enroute. (Someone tag @ResearchinStuff and let him know, pretty sure he's ignored me)

Need to figure out new rings and base.

I know that I can shoot as well, but at this point I'm sort of just wondering if it just isn't for me.

So there's a part of me that just wants to sell it to someone who reloads or would want it at a good discount. We know it shoots as Weatherby has proven - maybe it's just not for me.

Last edited:
I've received it back.

I've bought a Nightforce ATACR that's enroute. (Someone tag @ResearchinStuff and let him know, pretty sure he's ignored me)

Need to figure out new rings and base.

I know that I can shoot as well, but at this point I'm sort of just wondering if it just isn't for me.

So there's a part of me that just wants to sell it to someone who reloads or would want it at a good discount. We know it shoots as Weatherby has proven - maybe it's just not for me.
@ResearchinStuff

OP, have you looked at getting custom ammo from Unknown Munitions, Copper Creek, or Hendershots?

I’ve had excellent results from all three.

Custom ammo might be pricey, but you’ve got a pricey gun and pricey (albeit reliable) scope en route.

@ResearchinStuff

OP, have you looked at getting custom ammo from Unknown Munitions, Copper Creek, or Hendershots?

I’ve had excellent results from all three.

Custom ammo might be pricey, but you’ve got a pricey gun and pricey (albeit reliable) scope en route.
If I decide to keep it that might well be the route I go.

Also, need to test the Nosler Partition factory load myself.

If I decide to keep it that might well be the route I go.

Also, need to test the Nosler Partition factory load myself.
Look at it this way…. You paid $200 for them to do ammo testing for you. Given the price of factory ammo these days, after buying just 3 different boxes, you came out ahead! And they cleaned your rifle for you! Not bad if you ask me. Now since you just paid them to find your rifle’s preferred ammo, that’s EXACTLY the ammo you should shoot out of your gun. To mess with anything else would only be throwing more money away, IMO.

Last edited:
Turns out you can unignore too. If it shoots the ammo Weatherby used like crap with your atacr, well, at least you have a scope to move onto your next rifle.

Fwiw, this can happen with any gun. I have a Tikka 223, about 300 rounds on it, 2 scopes, 3 stocks, 2 shooters, 4 or 5 types of ammo, and it averages 1.85 Moa for 10 shot groups, with some as big as 2.6, best ever was 1.3. Can't wait for my prefit to show up, cause that barrel is just lousy.

I‘m not as optimistic as many people and think it’s a good idea to shoot two boxes of factory ammo or as many reloads with a couple powders - change scopes after the first box if it’s bad - and if it’s not a good shooter it never will be and either goes up for sale or gets rebarreled. I’ve not seen a 1-1/2 MOA gun turn into a MOA, despite how many hundreds of rounds my buddies pour into them.

In fact the first two shots often tell the tail. If they are 2 MOA, more shots won’t shrink the group, don’t waste ammo - the third or fifth shot just confirms what you already know. At least for me, over the past 3 dozen new and used rifles, the first group out of the gun was a very good predictor of its potential.

Look at it this way…. You paid $200 for them to do ammo testing for you. Given the price of factory ammo these days, after buying just 3 different boxes, you came out ahead! And they cleaned your rifle for you! Not bad if you ask me. Now since you just paid them to find your rifle’s preferred ammo, that’s EXACTLY the ammo you should shoot out of your gun. To mess with anything else would only be throwing more money away, IMO.
That was *exactly* the math I did in my head.

What height rings do you all think this will need? Thinking lows since it'll mount on the pic rail?

What height rings do you all think this will need? Thinking lows since it'll mount on the pic rail?

42 mm wil work with lows
50 mm will need mediums or you’ll need to trim the front rail with lows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Gen 1 TI in 280 AI, my observation is it has significant heat drift and with the barrel being pencil thin, it only takes a round or two in succession to drift a full MOA. Should it do that for the price? No, but what can you do? Especially when chasing the lightest possible rifle without going full custom. That said, with factory nosler 140gr accubond, from a cold clean or only slightly dirty bore, that rifle has always given me a near perfect bullseye at 200yd when I take it to the range. Zero concern about landing a clean first shot from that rifle as long as I do my part. It now has a cow elk, 2 white tails, a mule deer, and a couple coyotes ranging from 60yds to a shade over 400yds under its belt and always put the first round where I asked it to. Over the past couple years it has very much become my go to for any big game or varmint hunting where I expect to fire 1 round and have the job done. Suprising between the brake and 3d pad, its actually more enjoyable to shoot than my old 700 in 270 win.

Now, If I try to group mine with out letting it completely (and I do mean completely) cool off between shots my groups look more like yours. But if I give it time it will almost have connecting holes at 200yds.

I only have two issues with the rifle aside from the heat drift. Which is controllable since its a known variable.

1 It throws the case so high on ejection that it nails the windage turret cover and 1/2 the time drops the empty case back into the action if I am not semi slow and controlled with my bolt cycle. Partially my fault because I want as low of rings as possible and prefer a smaller scope, so it doesn't sit nearly as high as the people running 44mm and up objective lenses. I am using the leupold backcountry ring mounts lowest 30mm they make with a 32mm objective lens.

2 The action was super sharp where it forms the "magazine" and would hang up trying to feed a round from the right side gouging the case pretty bad. Quick smoothing with a file took care of that.

Also, if you are open to trying another round, the Hornady ELD ammo is suddenly commonly available. Could buy a box, give it another go. Take your time. Literally bring another rifle to use between shots. Let the rifle cool completely between shots.

Perhaps yours stringing is much the same as mine. Doesn't string at all when comparing cold shots, immediately starts stringing with any kind of follow up shots building heat in the barrel. Downside of a pencil thin barrel unfortunately.

Honestly if they hadn't just released the 307 with the possibility of a 307 backcountry ti, I would probably take this off you. But I am holding out for the 307 ti.

Update: I heard back from Weatherby this week. They said that my rifle was received on 7/31. On 8/3 they performed safety inspection and it passed. And on 8/10 they fired the rifle and found it did not perform within the parameters of their accuracy guarantee. They are putting a new barrel on it and I should see it back in another month give or take. Frustrating to have received one that didn’t group because I can’t recover the money in ammo I wasted doing a barrel break in, zeroing and performing accuracy testing but these things happen I suppose and I’m thankful they’re making it right.

Back