Having a tough time with Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Ti in .280 Ackley...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Perhaps yours stringing is much the same as mine. Doesn't string at all when comparing cold shots, immediately starts stringing with any kind of follow up shots building heat in the barrel. Downside of a pencil thin barrel unfortunately.

No, that’s the downside of a barrel that isn’t properly stress relieved. Barrels that are properly stress relieved and rifles that are assembled correctly do not “walk” when hot, regardless of how thin the barrel is.

I have the same rifle in same cartridge and yes the muzzle flips up on the shot as the entire rig is extremely light. Limiting myself to mono copper bullets and Barnes 145 LRX is about as heavy as I can go. Shoots ok, almost 1 MOA (200 yards). Tried all sorts of Hammer bullets and the 101 gr HH does quite well with Varget or N540. Maybe try a lighter bullet if it meets your need and maybe shoot off bipod as extra mass can aid muzzle flip. My two x-bolts got into good grouping very quickly. Still working on this Weatherby Backcountrty 2.0 TI.

BAKPAKR

WKR
UPDATE

From Weatherby:

The Accuracy Test is done by shooting the rifle off of a Caldwell Lead Sled. Each group consists of 3 shots because our Accuracy Guarantee states a .99″ or better 3-shot group at 100 yards. The gunsmith informed me that while shooting your rifle, he waited roughly 3-5 minutes between shots.

I find it interesting that Weatherby uses a Lead Sled for testing. I tried a Lead Sled to check zero on my Remington 700 Ti and had some major POI issues.

bruno747

FNG
No, that’s the downside of a barrel that isn’t properly stress relieved. Barrels that are properly stress relieved and rifles that are assembled correctly do not “walk” when hot, regardless of how thin the barrel is.
Fair, I have found manufactures have more problem eliminating this in pencil thin barrels than heavy barrels. Though I suppose that could also be a function of the number of shots needed to heat up the barrel. But agreed, root cause is poor stress relief.

Id say Weatherby waiting 3-5 minutes between shots confirms they are aware of this issue.