Help me pick a scope please

Hagas4all

FNG
Not sure that @atmat was suggesting anything of the sort. The reticles he mentioned, which work fine at low mag, are on scopes that are fixed 6x, 3-9, 3-12, and 2.5-15.
They may be “visible” however I am offering real world experience regarding the environment he will be hunting.

Can you offer how any FFP scope and the benefits of FFP will aid this hunter in making quick shots on relatively small deer is a rain forest where vegetation and terrain make it difficult to see beyond 30-50 yards?

Dobermann

WKR
They may be “visible” however I am offering real world experience regarding the environment he will be hunting.

Can you offer how any FFP scope and the benefits of FFP will aid this hunter in making quick shots on relatively small deer is a rain forest where vegetation and terrain make it difficult to see beyond 30-50 yards?
The OP also said

as well as some 2-600 yard shot across clear cuts

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
Well… don’t take this wrong way but want to check what your experience is shooting and hunting? On Vancouver Island you will be hard pressed to find a spot to shoot over 100 yards and neither of the scopes you have listed are remotely close to ideal for black tail hunting in a rainforest.

You should be looking for fixed 4x or 2-8/10 with a clean and bold reticle. Definitely second focal plane.
Hey yea I don't have a ton of experience but the range I'm a member of is 300 yards I believe and I'm not sure exactly what % will be in the low light timber and what % could be like a 300-400 yard shot across a clear cut or something I am still learning, but also wanted a scope I could use to go hunt the interior if I was gonna pay for a an expensive one. I'm realizing the first two were not good pics at all and I'm glad I posted it here b4 buying Have you hunted the island much?

Dobermann

WKR
And yes one of the scopes he had narrowed was a nx8 4-32
Not sure if things are getting conflated here, as your post was in response to mine about advice from @atmat - atmat didn't recommend that scope. It was in the OP's initial post, but he's since been steered in better directions.

atmat

WKR
Good luck with your 4-32 ffp then sir.
In fairness, I didn’t recommend a 4-32x. I don’t like any of the NF FFP reticles for all-around hunting scopes, especially at the low end of magnification. And no one needs >16x in any hunting situation.

In that specific scenario, an FFP isn’t of much benefit over a SFP. But a well-designed FFP isn’t a hindrance in that scenario either.

And ultimately he said he wanted to shoot out to 600. At those distances, FFP offers significant advantage over SFP.

Scottf270

WKR
"And ultimately he said he wanted to shoot out to 600. At those distances, FFP offers significant advantage over SFP."

Other than wind holds at any mag setting, what are the "benefits" of ffp over sfp up to 600 yards?

atmat

WKR
Other than wind holds at any mag setting, what are the "benefits" of ffp over sfp up to 600 yards?
The primary benefit of FFP at all reasonable distances is that the reticle is true at all magnification levels. It’s not just wind, it’s elevation also.

There are some secondary benefits, but they are lesser in my opinion.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
The primary benefit of FFP at all reasonable distances is that the reticle is true at all magnification levels. It’s not just wind, it’s elevation also.

There are some secondary benefits, but they are lesser in my opinion.
Not trying to be argumentative because I don’t entirely understand FFP, but if I’m shooting at 600 yards wouldn’t I use the highest magnification of the scope, where the reticle is already true? In which case SFP is perfect.

atmat

WKR
Not trying to be argumentative because I don’t entirely understand FFP, but if I’m shooting at 600 yards wouldn’t I use the highest magnification of the scope, where the reticle is already true? In which case SFP is perfect.
It depends on the scope’s magnification. I generally shoot at 1-1.5x for every 100 yards. So I’d be anywhere between 6-9x at 600 yards.

On anything >9x max zoom, I would be outta luck with SFP.

Trijicon tenmile 5-25x50 mrad @ opticsplanet for $999. Get scope list to price match.

I just picked one of these up from optics planet the discount codes work on it now. Was $818 it’s now down to $929 without any codes. I have the 3-18x50 tenmile on T3x 6.5CM, 2.5-15x42 credo on T3x 6.5prc and the 5-25x50 will go on the 6.5cm Tac A1. Moved everything from vortex to trijicon. Put me in the burned by vortex in the field group.

Happy to pick up really nice scopes for under $1k. Get two scopes so you do not have to move them from rifle to rifle.

I just picked one of these up from optics planet the discount codes work on it now. Was $818 it’s now down to $929 without any codes. I have the 3-18x50 tenmile on T3x 6.5CM, 2.5-15x42 credo on T3x 6.5prc and the 5-25x50 will go on the 6.5cm Tac A1. Moved everything from vortex to trijicon. Put me in the burned by vortex in the field group.

Happy to pick up really nice scopes for under $1k. Get two scopes so you do not have to move them from rifle to rifle.
Smart to ween yourself off, going from vortex to optics planet, but it will be worth it when you’re buying good quality products from reputable companies in the future

Baby steps are better than no steps!

Smart to ween yourself off, going from vortex to optics planet, but it will be worth it when you’re buying good quality products from reputable companies in the future

Baby steps are better than no steps!

I usually buy from europtic but if it’s in stock at optics planet I have had no issues and it saved me $500. The scope will be in my hands tomorrow.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
The SB Klassic 3-12x50 is limited to 3.2mil elevation travel as opposed to the 4.8mil on the 3-12x42.
If OP zeros at 250 yards with this S&B and is comfortable with holdunders, the 4.8 MILs gets you:
750 yds with factory 140gr ELDM
800 yds with factory 178gr ELDM

Holdunder is less than 1 MIL at any closer range. Attached the rangecards below.

EDIT: not really replying to @atmat here. Just piggybacking off his post

Attachments

• IMG_1217.jpeg
    IMG_1217.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1218.jpeg
    IMG_1218.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

atmat

WKR
If OP zeros at 250 yards with this S&B and is comfortable with holdunders, the 4.8 MILs gets you:
750 yds with factory 140gr ELDM
800 yds with factory 178gr ELDM

Holdunder is less than 1 MIL at any closer range. Attached the rangecards below.

EDIT: not really replying to @atmat here. Just piggybacking off his post
Sure, in theory. But the scope doesn’t have a ton travel regardless of rev-limit turn. So you may eat into your total elevation zeroing at 250.

Plus, zeroing at 100 is really a better option.