Help me pick a spotter

fly1tie6

FNG
I’m in the market for a spotting scope. For the most part it will be used at the range and rarely put in the pack so size/weight are not a huge concern at this time but I want to make sure I keep it in check. I want to keep this a buy once cry once situation and be happy with my purchase for quite sometime. Unfortunately I do not have a shop local to me where I can look thru different scopes but I believe I have narrowed down to a couple. So far it’s between the Meopta Meopro 80 HD and the Kowa 773. The Kowa is a little above my price range but I am willing to spend a little more if it is worth it. What say the group?

Beendare

WKR
if you are using it for hunting thats one thing....yeah get a good one. Zeiss/ Kowa/swaro/Leica

A range scope?....IMO, you don't need to break the bank for something like that.

OP
F

fly1tie6

FNG
if you are using it for hunting thats one thing....yeah get a good one. Zeiss/ Kowa/swaro/Leica

A range scope?....IMO, you don't need to break the bank for something like that.

There is a good chance it will get used for hunting as well. At the time it will pull more duties at the range but I want to have a good one should it get called for hunting duties. At the least it will be used looking for game in larger fields.

Sounds like you would be very much fine with a mid range spotter. I have a Viper and it's plenty good for a little range time and telling me if something has horns at 3 miles. The Athlon Ares is a better buy I think.

FlyGuy

WKR
I bought that Kowa from Doug at Cameraland and I have been extremely impressed. I’m sure the meopta is good to, but man that Kowa is money.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Benjblt

WKR
Camofire has had a past years Vortex 16-48 for around $750 a bunch of times. I always thought that one was a great value in an effective power range, as well as about the lightest one I've found. I've no personal experience with it but I thought if it was good glass it's the best value for hunting situations. I rarely ever use over 45 power in my 20-60 Swaro as the picture quality drops after that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WestNE

WKR
Here is my opinion after trying a few scopes though admittedly never anything in the alpha class.

No matter your destination a smaller scope is always more convenient to carry to the range or in the mountains. On top of the weight/ size benefits of the scope you can use a much more company tripod. With lower priced scopes you can increase optical performance with a larger scope/ objective but my guess is that a mid-sized, 60-65mm scope is going to outperform a full sized, 80-85mm tier 2 unit.

If it were me I would be looking at mid- sized alpha scopes as a do everything solution.

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR
when I purchased my spotter it was critical that it have a mil based reticle in it as we often use it for ranging targets. that narrowed down the options pretty quickly for us. Ive heard good things about the Meopro though.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
If you decide to go the meopta meopro route let me know as I intend to sell mine. Upgraded to the S2. Very good condition and I’d let it go for $750 with the case and phoneskope adapter.

OP
F

fly1tie6

FNG
If you decide to go the meopta meopro route let me know as I intend to sell mine. Upgraded to the S2. Very good condition and I’d let it go for $750 with the case and phoneskope adapter.
This would have been good to know about a week ago. Oh well. Too late now. That is a very good deal though.

OP
F

fly1tie6

FNG
Update...so I chose to go with the Kowa TSN-773 and so far all I can say is WOW! This spotter is amazing. Initial impressions is that it is crystal clear and sharp as a tack. Big shout out to Doug at Camera Land on another great deal and recommendation.