Help Me Scope a New 6.5-06 AI Mountain Rifle

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you may have read my old article about my first 6.5-06 AI that I had built a few years back. Tikka 6.5-06 AI Build

Well, the barrel on that rifle is shot out now so I had Matt Whaley put a new one on. Since I like shooting that rifle in the Sportsmans Challange and for long range practice so much I decided it would be best to build another one strictly for hunting. Here are some photos of that one.

6188-crop.jpg

6190-crop.jpg

This new one has a 20" long, McGowen lightweight sporter barrel which is very similar to a factory Tikka barrel. Matt had it fluted for me and installed a gen 1 Micro Bastard brake from APA. After the machine work was finished up, it was sent to Matt Sowa for Ceracoat. The only thing I need now is the stock which is being built by my friend John at Mesa Precision. John is just starting to produce stocks so this will be one of the first. Right now the rifle weighs just over six pounds in a factory stock and I expect it will be a couple ounces under with the new one.

6185-crop.jpg

For a scope, I'm really leaning toward the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 Compact. What do you guys think?

6182-crop.jpg

6183-crop.jpg

Last edited:
To stay ultralight, check out the new Super Sniper that SWFA offers. 2-10X32 at a ridiculous 9.5oz. If it is anywhere near the quality of their other offerings it is a heck of a scope.

If you want dials etc, I'd take a look at the Swarovski 4-12 Z3 BT 4W.

Jeremy

Yep, that 42mm NXS is perfect for that gun. Anything larger would look out of place, and ruin the balance IMO.

VX5HD 3-15x44 -- Lighter, greater magnification, field of view per mag range is similar, more elevation available than the Swaro and the windplex reticle is pretty nice-- or have the shop drop a TMOA in there!

You might consider the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42.....more magnification, lighter at 16.5 oz, and great glass. My Cooper Backcountry weighs under 7lbs with this scope......I have them on 3 rifles and that wouldn’t be the case if they hadn’t worked out well for me. Good Luck with your search!B13E4E29-A83C-4702-B44C-0E3DB1DA8602.jpg8478F1C0-5E74-4701-81BD-2D62A78E7DB7.jpg

Back