Help!!! Needing advice on my first pack.

Miket1989

FNG
I’m looking to get my first pack, it won’t be used heavily, once maybe twice a year when I go out west for hunts. I live in the south so most of my hunting is done with a small sling over the shoulder bag for snacks and stuff. But me and a few buddies are planning a trip to Missouri next year and I’m in need of a pack. I’m lost when it comes to selection. I see all the big names out there, and all the different sizes, external frame, internal frame, etc. the pack will be used maybe twice a year at most for hunting anything from elk, white tail, mule deer, antelope and maybe sheep. Most of the hunts we’re talking about at are 3-4 day hunts. So I’ll need a good amount of stuff but nothing major. I’m 5’5 so I’m fairly short. What would be a good recommendation for a budget friendly pack? I’d look at the classifieds section here but I haven’t gotten my 10 posts yet.

You're asking for one pack to do it all? Tree stand hunting whitetails and backcountry hunting elk are two wildly different use cases.

OP
M

Miket1989

FNG
You're asking for one pack to do it all? Tree stand hunting whitetails and backcountry hunting elk are two wildly different use cases.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, no I’m looking for a pack to take back country hunting. I use a shoulder sling bag for whitetail and know that it won’t work for back country hunting.

Generally, advice here is to pick up a used Kifaru or Stone Glacier or Exo in the classifieds. Being a shorter guy you may rule out the SG since they only offer one frame size.

If you're more strapped for cash and don't mind giving up some performance (debatable) and made in China people do like the Mystery Ranch and Kuiu offerings.

Not quite as much, but similar to boots, packs are a fit kind of thing...what works for someone else may not work for you since our bodies are all different. If you buy used you can usually sell it for what you paid for it and try something else in the event your first purchase doesn't work out.

OP
M

Miket1989

FNG
I’m going to be keeping an eye on the classifieds section so that once I’m able to post in there if I find one I can grab it up. I’ve got in the ball park of 4,000 to spend on my first backcountry trip, that includes purchase of gear and all. So far I have the argali rincon 2p tent, carbon trekking poles, vortex optics triumph hd binoculars, pocket rocket stove with fuel can and cooking pot, I have a onetigris 20 degree bag but will probably be looking to get a bag that will pack smaller, I’ll need space for food, first aid, kill kit and some other what ifs I’m sure I’ll come across. With all that in mind I was thinking a 5500ci pack would be a good size pack. Or do you think I could get by with a smaller size?

LoggerDan

WKR
For just one hunt a year or so, there’s nothing wrong at all with a Badlands 2200. Ive hauled elk and deer and bear in it. Its not Stone Glacier or Kifaru, but thats not what you are really needing. Dudes will tell you that it’s impossible to hunt western country without dropping 600 bucks. I wouldn’t listen. Some of these dudes ought to go ahead and start getting brand names tattooed on themselves they shill so hard.

Cabelas Alaskan pack frame is a good piece as well. Horn Hunter makes decent stuff. I wish you luck bud!

The Exo's and the SG's are known for collapsing pretty well, so most folks opt to go with one bag to suit both day hunts and backpack hunts. I can get a week of September archery hunting in 3000 ci but that is a squeeze and most people can't do that. Add colder weather and you'll want more space. 5000 to 6000 should be plenty. Keep in mind your sleeping bag will occupy the most cube, with colder being more space, and synthetic being more than down.

FWIW, you could totally get a granola brand pack like an Osprey or something similar for quite a bit less than everything else I've mentioned. They are light and functional and you'll only pay the price if you kill something. I would do that before a Badlands.

OP
M

Miket1989

FNG
This will probably be a laughable moment but I’ve googled and can’t find many reviews on it so there may be a reason for it but has anyone here had or used one of the tidewe frame packs? They have one on sale with the frame and bag for $85 with it being such a low price and not finding many reviews on it, it kind of makes me think it’s not really going to be worth the money spent on it.

LoggerDan

WKR
Looks like you already know the answer to that! The suggestions made earlier are all pretty sound. I had forgotten about Osprey and Dana or Mystery Ranch. All good pieces. The USMC ilbe is good. Its an Arc’Teryx design. A good 200 dollar pack will do you well until you decide this nutty stuff is for you and then you can spend real money for a rig.

LoggerDan

WKR
Kinda depends upon your hunt/camp plans. Internals are nice, comfy and quiet. External, skys the limit on what you haul. Carry a bigger load. You can always lash your sling you like and use or another cheap daypack to your frame. If you and your pal are hunting together, you are probably going to help each other out packing. You can go back to camp for your frame.

LoggerDan

WKR
Excellent. Great bag. Good price.

you can look for a used older model frame for under 150. You don’t need the new variants. They are all good.

Or rig it to an extern frame.

OP
M

Miket1989

FNG
I’m leaning towards getting the kifaru nomad gen1. The more I research them they seem to be really good bags. Now to find an older frame that’s within my budget to go with it.

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
If you search Kifaru frame on eBay and filter for 'sold items', you'll see that the older frames tend to sell for $200-250. They probably go for the same price range on here so between those two marketplaces, you might be able to pick one up for a good price. Buying a used one with a bag will probably be even cheaper and if it has a nice bag you can always trade/sell the bag on here and get the one you want.

Eberlestock F1 modded with Exo belt and its very comfy packing game out.
My pack size is about 17" though so I don't have issues with the load lifters like tall guys seem to have. I'm also not a guy so the Eberlestocks are actually very comfy for me....with the modded belt.
Might be good to get yourself measured for frame size so you know what your body requires. Height is not a good indicator since bodies are all over the place with measurements - find a good shop that can measure you and you will have something to go on.