Help Planning a 2024 Elk Hunt

Theeck

FNG
Hi everyone. I am on the East Coast and I would like to plan an elk hunting trip. I would prefer rifle or muzzleloader. I am thinking about Montana or Wyoming but don’t really know where to start so I would appreciate any help.

I don’t have any preference points. I would like an area where there is a realistic chance at a legal bull but I’m not at all concerned about getting a “trophy.” I would prefer to hunt on my own rather than with a guide. I have all the gear I would need but the idea of a drop camp seems appealing if I could get other guys to come along. If not, I would be doing it alone. I am new to elk hunting but I am comfortable in the woods and pretty self-reliant.

I would like to start researching areas but the rules on tags are confusing. I am not against using an outfitter but don’t want a “canned” hunt nor to spend a fortune. I appreciate any advice. Thanks

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Drawing a NR tag for a bull in MT or WY would take some luck, especially with zero points.

Since you are looking at a guided/drop camp hunt I would recommend checking out Colorado.

A little googling of drop camp reviews, followed by calling and talking to references should get you down the right path.

Unit specific conversations are discouraged on the open forum.

Good luck!

OP
T

Theeck

FNG
Thanks guys. I did a DIY trip to Colorado a few years ago. It was fun but I didn’t have any luck. I also had a hard time finding a place to camp initially. I had 3 preference points in CO but I let them lapse.

I understand that specifics on units is not okay on this board. Speaking very generally, are the units that are easier to draw than others? I could buy MT or WY points now but how many do you need to have a good ahot at drawing a tag? (If it’s a lot, I’ll just make other plans). Thanks

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a WY preference point now and draw any cow elk hunt you want next year. Cow elk are a lot easier to get than bulls, taste just as good if not better and you are still elk hunting and if you get the itch, can hunt every year.

OP
T

Theeck

FNG
I bought the wyoming point. I’ll look into MT tomorrow.

cnelk

WKR
If you’re interested in Wyo, learn the ‘types’ of licenses available.
Now that you have 1 PP, you’re in the game

I bought the wyoming point. I’ll look into MT tomorrow.
If you are putting in for Montana next year, make sure you by the NR Combo Pref Point, then buy another one with your application.

Bonus points in MT for elk won't help you draw the NR Combo, which is what you need to hunt elk. Bonus points only help if you want to additionally, after you have drawn a NR Combo which is a general unit elk tag + deer combo, then try to get access to a limited entry (LE) unit instead of hunting general tag units.

OP
T

Theeck

FNG
I just ordered a Delorme Atlas for Wyoming. I already have CO and MT. I read last night that non-residents cannot hunt wilderness areas without a guide (I’m surprised that is Constitutional). I’ll have to figure out if that is all National Forest land or if the are specifically-designated wilderness areas. I did see that camping is permitted on most BLM land so that might be an option.

OP
T

Theeck

FNG
I also saw that drop camps are not as common in Wyoming. The ones that exist require at least 2 people and most have a 4 person minimum. I’d be lucky if I could convince one person to go with me.

I imagine it is probably going to end up a solo trip with me bringing a wall tent. I do have a 4x4 truck and an ATV so I might just look for a big plot of public land in an area with good draw odds and decent trail/road access for a truck or OHV.

I also saw that drop camps are not as common in Wyoming. The ones that exist require at least 2 people and most have a 4 person minimum. I’d be lucky if I could convince one person to go with me.

I imagine it is probably going to end up a solo trip with me bringing a wall tent. I do have a 4x4 truck and an ATV so I might just look for a big plot of public land in an area with good draw odds and decent trail/road access for a truck or OHV.
I heard it took 6 or 7 points this year to draw a NR elk tag in Wyoming. I wouldn’t waste time researching there for a few more years if you just bought your first point

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
People b****h about the no hunting in the wilderness for NR in Wyoming all the time, but in all reality it is not an issue. I have hunted in Wyoming 4 times for elk and am going this year and wilderness restrictions have not been an issue at all. Each trip we have killed elk within 3 days. It is something that WOGA has lobbied for and it won't change no matter how many non-residents complain because we have no say in state politics.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
OP
T

Theeck

FNG
People b****h about the no hunting in the wilderness for NR in Wyoming all the time, but in all reality it is not an issue. I have hunted in Wyoming 4 times for elk and am going this year and wilderness restrictions have not been an issue at all. Each trip we have killed elk within 3 days. It is something that WOGA has lobbied for and it won't change no matter how many non-residents complain because we have no say in state politics.
Everyone has a say on constitutional issues. I don’t care enough to bother with it but on it’s surface, it looks like an unconstitutional law.