Help with a deer load for my 7mm08 Remington Model 7

sneaky

"DADDY"
Purchased a Model 7 in 7mm08 a couple years ago after I went deer hunting with a buddy who loved his. Seemed like a perfect Northern Wisconsin deer rifle. Short, light, perfect caliber, etc. My problem has been that I have never been able to get the gun to shoot. I've been all over the board with this gun. I have tried different bullets, powder, put a Bell and Carlson stock on it, put a Timney trigger in it, etc. So far I haven't been able to really tighten up my groups. Sure, they are ok. I'm shooting 1.5" group at 100 yards, but with all the extras and custom loads I expect more out of this gun. I have had zero problems getting two 7mmMags to go well under sub MOA with my custom loads. So what gives? It's a short barrel that is very thin. Cartidge length tends to be limited by the box style mag. What load/bullet combo would you be trying or have tried to get this gun to shoot sub MOA?????

chris
Thin barrel? Lighter bullet weights will do better because of barrel harmonics. Same thing I deal with in my 280AI Cooper with thin profile barrel. It's good up to about 168gr weights, but really shines with 130-155 gr weights. I'd try some 120TTSX, or 130 Hammers,or 130gr Sierra GKs in it and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got a Kimber Adirondack 7mm08 that hammers with 140gr TSX factory loads that I scored a deal on several years back. Short, light barrel. Try some factory ammo. Also, you're well within minute-of-deer at your hunting ranges. Some rifles just aren't going to meet your expectations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have 4 Model Seven rifles, 2 from the’90s(7 SAUMs) and 2 only a year or two old. All of them shoot 1/2” or less very easily. I load for 2 other Model Sevens and the same accuracy was achieved just as easily in them.

Seems like there’s alot of operator error out there.

Firehawk

WKR
We have three 7mm-08 in our house, plus my buddy's rifle, and all of them will shoot sub MOA with Varget and either a 140 Accubond or Ballistic Tip. Btip is generally slightly more accurate, but very small difference. And, one rifle will shoot one ragged hole type groups when bullet is seated out further, but too long for magazine. So...when seated to fit in magazine, it is still a sub MOA shooter.

Three different mfgs of rifle, 3 different brands of brass (makes it easier to keep separated for each rifle) and all of them like Btips and Accubonds. Especially with Varget. IMR 4064 and H4350 also shot well in them, but Varget is easily the best.

Marble

WKR
I've loaded for 6 - 7 of the 7-08 rifles. I would sell the gun if I were the OP.

With the cost of reloading supplies, get a different gun.

A gun on a budget would be a savage I would guess.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure if it was mentioned or not but I have one of these guns too and also put a B&C stock on it. It shot worse with the better stock. I had to play around with the torque on the actions screws to get it right. It shoots sub MOA no problem at all with Varget or H4350. 120 grain BT's with the Varget and 140 BT's with the 4350. I am going to work up a load for 140 AB's when I get back to that gun. I would also like to try Sierra game kings if they ever become available again.

My wife has an early 2000's (2004?) Model 7 in 7mm-08, laminated wood stock. It hates boat-tail bullets. Shoots 145 Speer hot-cors and 140 Partitions around an inch with RL19. The only exception seems to be 139 SST with a max load of W760, shoots those right around an inch. Copper fouling was bad when it was new, broke in the barrel by shooting 3, then de-coppering for around 40 rounds. It's killed over 30 animals....deer, bears, elk, etc. Don't give up yet, just try some flat base more traditional bullets. You'll find one it likes.

It’s very helpful. I’m just letting folks know you don’t have to f up a Model Seven by turning it into a Savage for it to shoot.
In your experience maybe. Some of us have had different experiences. Granted, my sample size was one, but it's at the head of my list of rifles I don't miss.

I've never had a problem getting any other rifle I've owned under an inch. At some point, you just cut your losses and move on.

N2TRKYS

WKR
In your experience maybe. Some of us have had different experiences. Granted, my sample size was one, but it's at the head of my list of rifles I don't miss.

I've never had a problem getting any other rifle I've owned under an inch. At some point, you just cut your losses and move on.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Model Seven. They’re just great little rifles.

OP
C
My wife has an early 2000's (2004?) Model 7 in 7mm-08, laminated wood stock. It hates boat-tail bullets. Shoots 145 Speer hot-cors and 140 Partitions around an inch with RL19. The only exception seems to be 139 SST with a max load of W760, shoots those right around an inch. Copper fouling was bad when it was new, broke in the barrel by shooting 3, then de-coppering for around 40 rounds. It's killed over 30 animals....deer, bears, elk, etc. Don't give up yet, just try some flat base more traditional bullets. You'll find one it likes.
Appreciate the insight and direction. I'm not giving up on it. I want to get it to shoot better and I think I can. Some of the comments on here have given me a couple things I think will help.

AkRyan

WKR
Hasn't changed anything.

Max range is gonna be 200 yards. I have yet to shoot any factory ammo through the gun.

I have heard from many others that 1.5" isn't bad, but with all the money that is put into that gun, all the effort to reload, all the time spent.....I think that I can justify wanting to see some better results. If it simply isn't possilbe, thats one thing. I am just not convinced that it isn't possible for this gun.

chris
Have you cleaned it? Does it have a muzzle device of any kind? What did you torque the action screws to? Do your groups move or do they stay in the same area on the target?

Mack84

FNG
Oh no, Beartooth is gone? Well any unsized very soft (BN 10?) lead bullets embedded with Clover lapping compound will work. I'll have to see if someone published his instructions somewhere as they work great.

If you want a rebarrel a Remington 700/7 there are two main options. 1. To rebarrel the factory way you'll need a lathe/reamer or a gunsmith to headspace it properly. You can ask around in your area for a good one.

2. Do a "Rem/age" conversion yourself. Uses a Savage-style barrel net threaded for a Remington action, there are lots of articles about it. Some people don't like the way a barrel nut looks but it's very easy to work on, especially when you do things that change your headspace like lap bolt lugs. You'll need a "Remage" barrel ($300-450), barrel nut ($30), recoil lug ($20), action wrench/barrel vise ($65~200), barrel nut wrench ($20), and go/no-go gauges ($20~80). You can get some/all of it at Northland Shooting Supply/Criterion, McGowen, X-Caliber, Ragged Hole, Pac-Nor, Preferred Barrel Blanks/MGM, etc. MidwayUSA & Brownells have also have some.
Tubb’s Lapping bullets from MidwayUSA or your preference of store could be another option. Haven’t used them myself.