Need thought on a load development issue pls

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I do hope you mean .3 to .5 increments. Otherwise shit‘s gonna get real and real fast lol.

Ha ha yea I mean .3 and .5 you are right that would get real bad real fast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of reloaders think .2 or .3 makes a difference....and sometimes they're right.

If you're shooting red dot in a 380 .3 grs is potentially greater than 10%. In a 85gr case.....it's .35ish%.

If you are getting significant group changes in .3 grs with your load you're likely seeing a statistical anomaly or the world's smallest node (sarcasm).

You may try a series of groups at the load you listed and see if you repeat the bolt lift or if it was an anomaly. Pay serious attention to your seating depth as you can spike with a change and you may misread that change.

As for seating depth, .095 off seems to be the best for that bullet and rifle. I tried .045, .075, . 105 off originally. Then through some additional testing I settled on .095.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
All good advice based on experience and 100 years of the reloading hobby. (y)

OP, do you have a velocity of your load?

TaperPin, nice to see someone using case head expansion. I've done case head measurements with a micrometer as well. I look for (and stop) with .0002"-.0004" if I'm working to a max load, with .0005"-.0006" typically being the "industry" guidelines for too much.

In hunting loads, it doesn't make a difference chasing that last bit of velocity. I would say the same thing for target shooting or practice, especially since ranges are known.

Keep in mind, when primer pockets are loose, it's because the case head has expanded. I have correlated long case life, mainly primer pocket tightness, with the expansion numbers I've shared above over many rounds.

Shame to say I do not have a chrono. I have always loaded only for hunting and never really pushed max loads. If a load was accurate and within limits set my the reloading manual, I went with it.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
That’s good to point out loose primer pockets are the result of expansion.

I have often wondered why measuring case heads isn’t more popular - a good quality .0001” mic can be picked up used for under $50. I try to show all the young reloaders in the family how it works and buy them a mic off eBay - but my guess is they don’t use it - at least they know how and have the tool. With a good mic they all do find it interesting that bullets aren’t exactly on size.

Now I do have multiple good MICs. Dad was a machinist

For as long as you've been reloading, you're due to treat yourself to a chronograph. It's all guesstimates w/o a chrono unless you're able to shoot at long range and figure out drops. It's a very useful piece with respect to load development and the pragmatic and sensible approach you take.

Couple thoughts -

It seems like it's not uncommon with ADG brass in magnum cases to have sticky bolt lift without crazy pressure after numerous firings. Without the chamber cut, dies, and everything else dialed, it doesn't seem uncommon to get there with warm (not excessive) loads.

Agree with others on that powder charge very likely not being notably more accurate than something nearby. If it is, it's not stable enough to stay that way. Drop it a grain +. I doubt the loss in velocity amounts to any meaningful degradation in effectiveness.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
For as long as you've been reloading, you're due to treat yourself to a chronograph. It's all guesstimates w/o a chrono unless you're able to shoot at long range and figure out drops. It's a very useful piece with respect to load development and the pragmatic and sensible approach you take.

You are sooooo right my friend. I guess I was always more of an accuracy freak and not a speed demon. But, I am now in a situation where one could be useful.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
just curious, why the desire to run at max with this particular rifle?

Going on an Alaskan Brown Bear hunt in May. 30 years ago to the month, I went on my first and only other Brown Bear hunt. I know people have killed them with 30-06 and smaller calibers. But, 30 years ago I was 26 and the only gun I had to take (not being able to afford another) was a 300 Win. Mag. I shot at and hit a big bore at 400 yards. Today, I would not take that shot, but then being younger and dumber I did. I hit the bear a few times, but I think I only made him mad. We never recovered. So going back with a 338 RUM this time, and I suspect subconsciously I am looking for as much power as that caliber will create.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
While we are on it, and I am in the ordering mood, what chrono do you guys recommend ????

I agree with others. Drop the charge, if you shoot more than 3 or 5 shots you most likely will find that the overcharge is not noticably more accurate with more data and the confidence that it can be freezing or 100 degrees and the load will be safe and accurate and the gun will function is more important than a tiny bit more energy. It would suck to not be able to lift the bolt after the first shot didnt put that bear down.
For a chrono get the new garmin xero ($600). More accurate more of the time than anything else and worth the money in ease of use. I have a competition electronics prochrono dlx ($150) which is a fantastic optical chrono. Can set up Bluetooth to your phone to record data and give you spreads etc just like the garmin. Theyre both great for the price. But the optical ones are limited by weather conditions. Also having to shoot directly over the chrono can cause complications on an optical as well. Theyre both great brands with great customer service (dealt with both). If i had to buy one it would be the garmin for ease of use.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Well I may upset some, but long story I had the ability to buy a new Competition Electronics DLC for half price so I ordered. Will see how it goes. If I don’t like I will upgrade.

Hard to beat a good deal! Everyone loves the xero, but everyone with one now had an optical one first that worked fine.

TaperPin

WKR
Well I may upset some, but long story I had the ability to buy a new Competition Electronics DLC for half price so I ordered. Will see how it goes. If I don’t like I will upgrade.

Definitely keep us in the loop as to what your velocities are.

The CE I have worked well most of the time. Was wonky a couple times that made me lose a little confidence but most the time it was solid. Main downside is they are a PITA to set up compared to a Doppler chrono or magnetospeed.

fshaw

WKR
May be just me but if I knew that the chamber was clean and the locking lugs adequately lubed, if I ran into abnormal bolt lift I would back off immediately. Especially so if I was loading over max book loads. I wouldn’t care what a chronograph was telling me. The last few fps of velocity can be held or dialed for. Just one man’s opinion.

just an fyi 7828 is a great powder but it’s also not very temperature stable. If you are working loads up now and planning on a may hunt, things could definitely change. Best wishes and good luck

Good purchase with the chronograph, let us know how it is going and any velocity data you get.