Help with Electrician Apprentice tools

ColtyJr

Lil-Rokslider
Klein or Knipex linesman with built in crimp,
Knipex 6in curved diagonal cutters, channelock 426, 430 and 440, Stanley Fatmax 25ft, a metal magnetic torpedo level, Wera or Klein screwdrivers don't get a klein #2 square they suck I love my Wera #2 square, a Klein 6inch keystone square shank with the pipe reamer attachment, a Estwing 20oz claw hammer, a non contact voltage tester, Stanley 99 knife, Fluke 323 and the knipex 8in forged wire strippers. I'm a 5th year apprentice

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
Stick with Klein for hand tools. They sell an electrical apprentice kit that comes with a belt/pouch.
Screwdrivers
Side cutters
Linesman
Needlenose
Strippers
Torpedo level
Tape measure
Hawkbill knife

Should get him by to start. Depending on if he's doing commercial or residential will be a different tool list.

Hard to beat milwaukee m18 fuel series for anything cordless these days. A 1/2" drill will be essential but an impact and Sawzall are also really nice to have.

A good side pouch is also a must especially for residential. Need to hold screws staples wirenuts etc. Feel free to pm me with any questions. I've been a journeyman for 15 years and run a program to get ex offenders/parolees into the trade.
Klein is a good starter kit. Most of us these days have moved on to Knipex for pliers (channel, side cutters, needle)
And either Wera or Wiha screw drivers
9" channel locks
Long handle high leverage side cutters (BLUE) handle if Klein
Linesman pliers with fish Tape puller
Greenlee stainless steel Strippers
Checkpoint level (although any rare earth 9" will do)
3/16 - 6" and 3/8" -6" square shank flat tip
#2 Philips #2 square (robertson)
1/4, 5/16 9/16 hollow long shank nutdrivers (klein)
Conduit reamer (optional and any number of other tools can be used)
Also any Milwaukee or other branded tool that claims to do 5 difdetent things are too heavy and mediocre at best.
And the rest of the list above is good.
That would let you do 90% of any commercial resi or. Industrial work.
I didn't read past this comment so someone may have covered this...I've spent 19-37 doing this and have gotten very particular with my hand tools. The better they are the more enjoyable they are to work with ...just like guns

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
Don't skimp on the 5 tools I have out...everything else can be upgraded later..
Aviation grade tin cutters straight
KNIPEX 7", 9" channellocks, I prefer no button
Greenlee ss Strippers
KNIPEX 11" side cutters
6"-8" 3/16 flat screw drivers can be used for everything from finish screws to picking door locks.

As far as the job beating you up, my 105# 5'2 apprentice gets along just fine. This is all 600mcm copper, 3.5" conduit . Unless your on light hanging duty you don't have to run around with ape hanger arms.

Attachments

• 20230923_231536.jpg
    20230923_231536.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220419_083004.jpg
    20220419_083004.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220423_124747.jpg
    20220423_124747.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 72
I’d recommend Milwaukee or DEWALT cordless stuff. Klein or Wera hand tools, and the Milwaukee pack out system to transport and store them in to and fro and, for on site organization and compliance.

Buy quality tools. And, tell him to guard them like his job depends on it. If not, his stuff will go missing. A good pack out system will help him keep on top of it. Plus, he can lock them up.

A good belt will come. He’ll find out that a lot of times he can work out of his pack out system with a minimal belt setup. It’s a lot more comfortable that way.

Wish him good luck and implore he guards these tools like they are gold. If he doesn’t, he’s not going to have much.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
One thing I forgot to mention is teaching him to take care of his tools, keep them wiped off, oiled and in good working order, this probably will also involve not lending his tools to just anyone. He is gonna want to know the other person takes care of his own tools before loaning out his out. Buying tools gets real expensive when you are a young apprentice.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been an electrician for 23 years, I’ll add another vote for Klein hand tools, knipex channel locks, fluke meter, and Milwaukee cordless tools. If you buy him cheap tools he’s just going to spend money on good tools once he uses his coworkers.

Tell him to pay attention in electrical theory classes, it might not seem relevant in the moment but if he understands how electricity works it’s going to put him ahead of the majority of other electricians.

that list is interesting for an electrician. do you know what area of electrical he is doing? it definitely matters. half of those things will not be needed if he's good and a sawzall is questionable but the codes here are different.
look at tools that are multi purpose, screwdriver with pin to curl wire, linemans or dykes with notch for stripping wire etc. also, a good razor knife, maybe a hammer for those nails and cable cutters might make it easier for anything over 10 ga.
a good tool belt and bags would be the best gift in my opinion. being comfortable and being able to hold those tools is more important. nothing worse than a guy with tools but has to dump his bag to get anything or he takes it off because its uncomfortable.

BLJ

WKR
938798E8-EF16-4BB9-820B-79655D82C925.jpeg9EB86510-4ECF-4B72-975F-42EEF67C3478.jpeg

Kind of an idea where to start. IMO.
I’ve got some other stuff not shown but this would get him started until he got some paychecks.
I’ve had great service from an Ideal meter that was less than $100 at Lowes that’s not pictured.

I would highly recommend a non contact voltage tester be with him all the time.
One of these, a notepad and a pencil were in my dinner bucket constantly.
I started every day with these.

I’ll also echo above that residential, commercial and industrial will all be different. If he knows or has made that decision.

If industrial, I recommend learning some knots (basics and how to put an eye on a 3 strand rope, then eventually a bull rope), rigging and welding.
Knowing these things helped me considerably.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM.

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
You’re getting some excellent input in my opinion. I may just add he may look at getting a wooden folding ruler (Klein makes one) and some 33 electrical/phasing tape. It sounds like he’s well on his way, as he works further into his apprenticeship he’ll add to the list I’m sure. Good luck to your son.

OP
ScreamingPotato
that list is interesting for an electrician. do you know what area of electrical he is doing? it definitely matters. half of those things will not be needed if he's good and a sawzall is questionable but the codes here are different.
look at tools that are multi purpose, screwdriver with pin to curl wire, linemans or dykes with notch for stripping wire etc. also, a good razor knife, maybe a hammer for those nails and cable cutters might make it easier for anything over 10 ga.
a good tool belt and bags would be the best gift in my opinion. being comfortable and being able to hold those tools is more important. nothing worse than a guy with tools but has to dump his bag to get anything or he takes it off because its uncomfortable.
It's all still pretty new to him and he tells me there will be all sorts of different jobsites, the school portion starts in January so he'll have some good hours before he gets there which I think will help him grasp the material better if he's seen some things already. Yesterday they ran cable and conduit for some Tesla charging stations but his normal assigned site is a big new office building that's just going up so all the stuff that comes along with a build like that.

commercial new construction is nice, tell him to stick with that. it's easier than dealing with existing and usually more money. there really isn't much needed in the way of tools for new construction and with time some tools on the list will be left at home and others added. as an apprentice he'll probably just be getting all the small parts, bending and fitting conduit, pulling wire etc. a quality conduit cutter might be a good idea also since its easier and lighter to carry than a sawzall.
best of luck to him and hope he sticks with it.

I have been in commercial construction for over 30 years. A good quality hard hat is often overlooked. Kask Super Plasma is where it’s at and will last over a decade. Super light, low profile and stays on your head. They are also used by arborists, search and rescue and climbers.

Quality knee pads that don’t suck or create their own issues is also key. Black Diamond telekneesis or Arctetyx leaf combat knee pads. They can also be used for hunting. The two best light, mobility and functional knee pads I have found yet.

OP
ScreamingPotato
I didn't even think about knee pads but I can see the benefits there. A few others have also mentioned the quality hard hat thing, will definitely look into that as well.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
Not a sparky but most of the ones I've worked with love their tool backpacks. Be careful on the hard hat, some companies have color code requirements based on your role/position.

OP
ScreamingPotato
I just wanted to update the thread. Thank you all so much for the info, it's been a huge deal. We're still parsing through things and holding on some of the purchases, but I wanted to give a HUGE shout out to @BLJ as he's sending a care package to the youngen! Some Makita power tools, drywall saw, snips, strippers, couple things I have no idea what they are from the pics but the kiddo will probably recognize, and a full set of nut drivers to boot. Quality stuff too, not junk. I went ahead and bought the kiddo a Klein belt/pouch kit so he'd be able to put all this to use right away, belt also came with a full set of screwdrivers, needle nose, diagnal cutters, channel lock as well as a good Klein tape measure and torpedo level. He's going to kick me $50/week until he pays half the costs and the other half is my gift to him. I'm super excited to help out as we're proud of this dude for deciding to go this route after considering college and other options and thinking things over for quite some time this is what he chose to pursue for a career. I think it takes a bit of wisdom for kids these days to look at the options like that and see their future through all the clutter. He doesn't want to start off life with a mountain of student loan debt and an office job he hates. Anyhow, I think he's got a good base to get started with and we'll circle back to this thread as the weeks go by to pickup a few things, probably gonna use this thread for his Christmas shopping too (I'm sure he'll love that LOL).

Last edited: