Help with Electrician Apprentice tools

Man there's some really good stuff there. I'm putting a bunch of it on the wish list for Christmas and I'll run it by him too. I can see the usefulness.
no problem, once he gets into it more and figures out if he's going to be doing residential or commercial/ industrial there are a bunch more specific tools that will definitely come in handy.

BLJ

WKR
I’d like to add a word of caution to the dykes linked by @SuperDUECE22 above.
If the split ring is metal (as it looks to be) there is NO WAY I would use those.
If you happen to get into something hot (meaning an energized circuit) there is a very good chance that split ring will contact your hand, resulting in a shock.
I would highly recommend getting a pair without a split ring and if the tool needs to be tethered, fasten the tether directly to the tool.

Just to be clear I’m not jabbing @SuperDUECE22. I just wanted everyone reading this to understand that those dykes would not be an acceptable choice.

I’d like to add a word of caution to the dykes linked by @SuperDUECE22 above.
If the split ring is metal (as it looks to be) there is NO WAY I would use those.
If you happen to get into something hot (meaning an energized circuit) there is a very good chance that split ring will contact your hand, resulting in a shock.
I would highly recommend getting a pair without a split ring and if the tool needs to be tethered, fasten the tether directly to the tool.

Just to be clear I’m not jabbing @SuperDUECE22. I just wanted everyone reading this to understand that those dykes would not be an acceptable choice.
100% agree, that was a mistake on my end that I never realized until your post.
I think I meant to link these instead:

BLJ

WKR
I like those a lot better. Been using them for years. 😁

kpk

WKR
Hand tools are such a love/hate relationship. I've seen Wera listed a lot in this thread and I've started hating my joker wrenches and fancy socket sets more every time I take them out.

I do really like the curved Klein strippers, anything knipex, and wiha screwdrivers.

I love my Wiha drive-loc stuff and use the hell out of them on a daily basis. Even if you only get 1 handle and a few of the nutdriver or screwdriver blades you use on a daily basis. It's sure nice to shorten/extend and use them in a drill as well. I carry a dozen or so "blades" and 2 handles which saves a ton of space in a tool belt.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I just saw this. My son is now in his second year. I bought his start up tools. Make sure to keep receipts for all the tools tax deduction. He will have a pretty good amount into tools real fast.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
When I started tech school for electrical in the fall of 2000, we purchased tool kits at a discount from the local Klein rep. I still have the big orange klein tool box, my tool belt, and about 50% of the original hand tools. Linemans, dykes, 3 of the 5 nut drivers, utility knife, hack saw, hammer, etc; all original from that set.

Now days most of my "electrical" work is relegated to opening panels, HVAC units, etc. to get information for design/build HVAC upgrades. Occasionally I get roped into doing some control work if we're short on install labor or up against a deadline. I do a little electrical side work here and there as well as my home/cabin work.
I've got different pouches set up for different tasks since I get a tool allowance through work. Between the allowance and wholesale house promos/freebies, I've got lots of spares.
I think I own 5 or 6 of the klein 10-1 screwdrivers. The wholesale houses used to give away the Ideal curved handle wire strippers as promos for every $100 you spent on tools, so I've probably got 5 or 6 of those laying around as well.

OP
ScreamingPotato
So dude's already got a basic screwdriver set and the nut driver set coming from BLJ soon. Lots of family is asking about buying him tools for Christmas so I'm trying to throw out ideas that make sense. What do yall think about this set? It seems like it'd really save space, and the bit shafts would also work with the impact BLJ sent too. I sent this to his aunt but told her to hold off until the slide approves. :)

edit: To clarify, I'm also sending people lots of the stuff already mentioned and linked as well, this wasn't on the list and peaked my interest so thought I'd ask.

I think I have about 4 pair of those.

And I'm not even an electrician! Lol

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I just wanted to update the thread. Thank you all so much for the info, it's been a huge deal. We're still parsing through things and holding on some of the purchases, but I wanted to give a HUGE shout out to @BLJ as he's sending a care package to the youngen! Some Makita power tools, drywall saw, snips, strippers, couple things I have no idea what they are from the pics but the kiddo will probably recognize, and a full set of nut drivers to boot. Quality stuff too, not junk. I went ahead and bought the kiddo a Klein belt/pouch kit so he'd be able to put all this to use right away, belt also came with a full set of screwdrivers, needle nose, diagnal cutters, channel lock as well as a good Klein tape measure and torpedo level. He's going to kick me $50/week until he pays half the costs and the other half is my gift to him. I'm super excited to help out as we're proud of this dude for deciding to go this route after considering college and other options and thinking things over for quite some time this is what he chose to pursue for a career. I think it takes a bit of wisdom for kids these days to look at the options like that and see their future through all the clutter. He doesn't want to start off life with a mountain of student loan debt and an office job he hates. Anyhow, I think he's got a good base to get started with and we'll circle back to this thread as the weeks go by to pickup a few things, probably gonna use this thread for his Christmas shopping too (I'm sure he'll love that LOL).
It is good to see a young person going in to a trade. You can really make a good living working with your hands. It is also great that you are able to help him. New/construction work is a great place to learn how everything works and how the whole system functions together.

So dude's already got a basic screwdriver set and the nut driver set coming from BLJ soon. Lots of family is asking about buying him tools for Christmas so I'm trying to throw out ideas that make sense. What do yall think about this set? It seems like it'd really save space, and the bit shafts would also work with the impact BLJ sent too. I sent this to his aunt but told her to hold off until the slide approves. :)

edit: To clarify, I'm also sending people lots of the stuff already mentioned and linked as well, this wasn't on the list and peaked my interest so thought I'd ask.
Personally, I'd stick with that Milwaukee 11/1 that I linked earlier; I think it's much better compared to Klein. I have about 8 of them Klein 10/1 that are broke and missing bits in my toolbox from over the years. The 2 different sized ECX bits on the Milwaukee are a game changer for set screws for almost all raceway fittings, breaker screws, outlet screws and much more. I still have my original set of Klein nut drivers that I got from tech school that barely every got used. Only Klein nutdriver in my bag was a long shank 9/16 that came in handy for building conduit racks and using ready rod (& also 9/16" speed wrench). A set of these long shank in 1/4",5/16",3/8"& 7/16 for an impact will come in a lot more handy than your standard nutdrivers in my opinion.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Would you guy's please enlighten me as to a real quality utility knife that works, not to big like Irwin, not a fold up, not a thing that only takes that company's blades ? I have done construction and residential electrical for 30 years ( now retired) . In that time I've only had 1 utility knife that was worth having and that was a long time ago. Specifically the type that takes Stanley blades.

BBob

WKR
Tajima utility knives. I have several of the break off blade style. Some thick blade, some thinner. Yes they are proprietary blades but a couple of them I’ve had for a really long time. I have one in my electrical bag, one in the general construction bucket (thick for drywall), one in the kitchen drawer and several of the small bladed ones in various places in the shop and work tool kit.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
Klein is good but Knipex is really starting to step up their game for hand tools. I just switched to Knipex side cutters, linemans, wire stripper and channel locks. It's the cutting tools that make the biggest difference for the jobsite. Screwdrivers are more of a feel preference. As for power tools, a total game changer is the Milwaukee M12 drill and M12 impact combo. I use those way more than my M18 stuff. M12 can get you through just about every daily task residential or commercial.

OP
ScreamingPotato
Personally, I'd stick with that Milwaukee 11/1 that I linked earlier; I think it's much better compared to Klein. I have about 8 of them Klein 10/1 that are broke and missing bits in my toolbox from over the years. The 2 different sized ECX bits on the Milwaukee are a game changer for set screws for almost all raceway fittings, breaker screws, outlet screws and much more. I still have my original set of Klein nut drivers that I got from tech school that barely every got used. Only Klein nutdriver in my bag was a long shank 9/16 that came in handy for building conduit racks and using ready rod (& also 9/16" speed wrench). A set of these long shank in 1/4",5/16",3/8"& 7/16 for an impact will come in a lot more handy than your standard nutdrivers in my opinion.
Appreciate that feedback brother, that's exactly what I need!

BLJ

WKR
Would you guy's please enlighten me as to a real quality utility knife that works, not to big like Irwin, not a fold up, not a thing that only takes that company's blades ? I have done construction and residential electrical for 30 years ( now retired) . In that time I've only had 1 utility knife that was worth having and that was a long time ago. Specifically the type that takes Stanley blades.
Stanley 99 or a copy of was always my choice.