Hemming rain pants with zippers

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a pair of new Sitka Cloudburst pants because for $135, why not. Unfortunately all they had in stock was the tall version. Being 5'6" on a good day, I expect to find these will be far too long when they arrive. With the full length zips they have, is it possible to have these hemmed/altered and still have full zipper functionality?

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
In case anyone was having similar questions, Sitka sends you to Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle for all repairs/alterations. Its pretty pricey so if anyone wants to trade their medium for a medium tall, I may be interested.

Get some wadding pant straps or even gravel guards. They are a few bucks but will hold the legs up. The gravel guards will keep the excess from rubbing and making noise too. Hodgeman makes both I believe.

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Get some wadding pant straps or even gravel guards. They are a few bucks but will hold the legs up. The gravel guards will keep the excess from rubbing and making noise too. Hodgeman makes both I believe.

Havent heard of those...ill take a look. Thanks

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Their website says they get $83/hour. They said that job would be roughly 1.5 hours, so about $125.

I'd go the gaiter route. A pair of first lite traverse gaiters would be nice to have even when not wearing the rain pants I think. A lot cheaper than the tailoring as well.

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I just got them in and they seem manageable. With the hemming being around the ankle, I wonder if a standard tailor could do it since waterproofing isnt essential at the very bottom.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd think you could do a standard hem on the bottom maybe add a strap and snap if the zipper doesn't stay zippered when walking.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk