Hero Shot Tips and Tricks

BigSurArcher

Banned
I agree with the above, "photos are more important than the mount".

Body propped naturally making the animal look relaxed, not as if would be in pain if it were still alive
Smiling hunter
Position yourself to portray about 2/3 emphasis on animal, 1/3 emphasis on hunter
Center point of photo should be right about in between hunter and animal
Displaying some gear can make a photo more interesting, but no reason to go crazy
Open the action if your rifle is in it- you never know when it's going to look like its pointed at someone

Here are my 3 best kill photos of the year so far. Even after taking about 30 of each, there is still room to improve.

Blood wouldn't stop coming out of the bear's nose and my body was slightly out of focus.

1f3093b3-664f-4c1a-b20e-d1256b150a1d_zpsa6ef9a43.jpg

Big flash took all the shade out of my face on this one. Still, I was sitting too tall and had to use my bow to cover up his belly incision.
Not to mention the camera case is sitting over there in the open. Nitpicky, but detail matters.

5b056cc9-22c4-460c-87bc-39a9159ec3aa_zpsf9272cec.jpg

This one was tough- sun in the face and a steeper slope than it looks like. This was a narrow buck, but taking multiple head angle shots got him looking good. The pack laying there is a bit much and slightly distracting.

fdfdb03d-dd72-4acc-9b36-42b293d1d936_zpsdc6c2e54.jpg

(From last year) Not that it looks great as it is, but think how much worse this one could come off if the action on my rifle was closed...

e3272e51-96a9-4e5b-b533-e1f72493c6bc_zps47976ec9.jpg

Honestly I'm not a real big fan of hero shots, I really like action shots or things of that nature, the kill isn't nearly as important to me as the experience. That's what I like to remember. Like these

8EC19BF7-0EF3-46CD-B2FA-CA985D6D39FC-14919-0000134EE4321A6E_zps60b0f3a8.jpg

1AE5F0C3-1BA2-4BC1-80D6-734166E666DD-14919-0000134F600318BC_zps6828debe.jpg

BigSurArcher

Banned
I agree, unstaged "action shots" are awesome and do a much better job of portraying the hunt. Not a fan of the term "hero shot" either. Success photo seems to explain it well enough.

"hero Shot" - "grip n Grin" - "trophy photo" - "Success photo"

I agree that "the photo TO ME is more important than the mount", however I LOVE looking at NOTCH because of the incredible work done by my taxidermist on him!

This is the 3X that I harvested last year! Does a great job showing his size however my camera quit working so it was taken with my iPhone.

View attachment 11178

Here is Notch my CO high country buck. Lowered the camera below us to skyline his headgear. This one hasn't been touched up or enhanced which I usually do afterwards and the photos from that season were taken before I started using a flash (big mistake) look at my face....SHADOW!

View attachment 11179

FLASH here really helps show the fog!

View attachment 11180

I couldnt keep the blood from running out his nose and mouth just kept pouring out!

View attachment 11181

Buster

WKR
"hero Shot" - "grip n Grin" - "trophy photo" - "Success photo"

I agree that "the photo TO ME is more important than the mount", however I LOVE looking at NOTCH because of the incredible work done by my taxidermist on him!

This is the 3X that I harvested last year! Does a great job showing his size however my camera quit working so it was taken with my iPhone.

View attachment 11178

Here is Notch my CO high country buck. Lowered the camera below us to skyline his headgear. This one hasn't been touched up or enhanced which I usually do afterwards and the photos from that season were taken before I started using a flash (big mistake) look at my face....SHADOW!

View attachment 11179

FLASH here really helps show the fog!

View attachment 11180

I couldnt keep the blood from running out his nose and mouth just kept pouring out!

View attachment 11181

The pics did not come thru, would love to see them if you get another chance to repost.

Buster

WKR
Honestly I'm not a real big fan of hero shots, I really like action shots or things of that nature, the kill isn't nearly as important to me as the experience. That's what I like to remember. Like these

8EC19BF7-0EF3-46CD-B2FA-CA985D6D39FC-14919-0000134EE4321A6E_zps60b0f3a8.jpg

1AE5F0C3-1BA2-4BC1-80D6-734166E666DD-14919-0000134F600318BC_zps6828debe.jpg

Great pictures. The kill doesn't make the highlight memories, the overall experience does. Capturing the real hunt can be hard, but very rewarding.

buzzy

WKR
I purchased a set of deer and elk eyes from a taxidermy shop. I slip those in before taking pictures with a flash. This gets rid of the red eye that always crops up. They are small and fit in your pocket.

Jon Boy

WKR
Ill be the guy to post what bad field photos are.
Make sure if you have your hunting partner take the photos that he knows how to use the camera properly. The first one would have been an epic shot of my first elk, but it is out of focus. I cant blame him to much due to the fact that it was raining, dark, and the LCD screen was blurry it self.

The second is also of my first elk, but his hand covered up the flash. Would of been a pic that could of summed out that hell-acious pack out.

Heres one of my favorite field photos that I took of my friends buck. I didnt use the flash with this particular pick because I thought the shadows add a little depth of field

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a hog I took today. Pic was taken in complete shade with the flash filling my face and animal. I used bigsur's advice with my pack as I normally leave it out. I was solo so I used the timer and took about 12 pix an this was the winner. If I could change anything I think it would be centering myself more in proportion to the pig. But for DIY I thought it was pretty good..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 37

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
As far as tips:
- Know the camera well before you need to. Nothing worse than playing "how do I do that" as the last light fades.

- Take more photos than you think you need. Take a lot, then keep going. Move around - High/low, different angles, all sides. "Film" is free. You can always delete the ones you don't like, but you can't go back and take more.

- Try to tell a story of how you got there. It isn't always possible, but if you can get a shot of the ground you covered, or the spot you shot from in with the animal, I think it makes for a better reminder of the hunt in the future. This is a picture I took at my partner's suggestion. It would be a terrible "hero shot", but it is one of my favorite reminders of the hunt.
IMG_1324.jpg

- Keep your camera handy, and don't hesitate to take a shot. The best action scenes frequently go by too fast. A compact camera in a pocket will get used more than an SLR at base camp or a bulkier P&S buried in the pack.