Hide wieght?

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Alaska late Sept. billy ,dried, fleshed and salted in a cooler for checked baggage . About what will it weight?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It wont be dried unless you shot in 8 days before and kept it in a dry environment. Expect it to be moist and weigh anywhere from 40-80 lbs depending on sex and size and moisture variables. Those hides hold a lot of water weight.

Jimss

WKR
I imagine you are talking lifesized cape weight? I'd agree that a lot depends upon the size of the animal and how wet it was after you got the billy off the mountain. A mature billy is a mighty big animal. Mature billies also tend to get longer hair quicker in the early fall than immature billies. I'm guessing a 60 lb cooler box likely is about the right size for a lifesized mature billy cape and horns in late Sept.

JP100

WKR
Could be pretty heavy as the others say.
Get that thing salted and hanging ASAP. You will loose a huge amount of weight if you get it hanging and slated quickly.
I prefer to salt then roll flesh side in then parcel tie it and hang it in the shade. Shake it out and Re salt in 12-24 hours. I normally salt stuff 3 times.
you be amazed how much juice comes out!

kwikfish

FNG
If you can get it dry (the hair) the hide should dry within three or four days and weigh 30 or 40 pounds. Focus on keeping it dry after the kill, when fully saturated its all a grown man can do to lift a full size cape. I've tanned several at home in recent years, a towel and fan can really help pull the water out of that wool!! Have fun and shoot straight.