high fence whitetail

Yoder

WKR
My biggest problem with high fence is they stole the animals from us. The only way this isn't true is if you push all of the animals off the land then close the fence and buy your own, or maybe you could also do some kind of count and buy them from the state. Then they are your livestock, do what you please. Otherwise, I think it should be illegal to completely enclose a property without a way for the animals to leave.

My biggest problem with high fence is they stole the animals from us. The only way this isn't true is if you push all of the animals off the land then close the fence and buy your own, or maybe you could also do some kind of count and buy them from the state. Then they are your livestock, do what you please. Otherwise, I think it should be illegal to completely enclose a property without a way for the animals to leave.
I agree on that point. A lot of HF places do just that though. They fence it, then over the course of however many seasons it takes they shoot the native deer out, then start their own herd.

Since Texas is over 90% privately owned, the deer aren’t accessible to the public without paying one way or another. At minimum you are going to pay big $$ for access to said private land and therefore the animals.

I’m not saying that justifies high fence operations or not but in Texas the majority are going to pay for the access to hunt them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jmez

WKR
Most states other than Texas high fenced operations are managed by the Dept of Agriculture not Game and Fish. They are considered livestock.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

rogerthat

FNG
When I was growing up we had this angus brown Swiss cow that was wilder than hell. So wild you you couldn’t even get her roped. After trying to get her in the corral many times and failing, we finally brought the whole herd in. Somehow we got her cut out by herself but she was meaner than hell and unbelievably wild. It was clear she was going to tear the corral down and/or kill someone. Dad said “Go get my gun!” referring to the 243 he kept in his feed truck. When I came back with the gun, the cow was running around the corral wildly trying to smash her way out. Dad yelled “Shoot her! Shoot her! She is going to tear the corral down!” However I couldn’t get a clear head shot with her running wildly and jumping. She broke down several planks on one of her jumps and I knew I had to take the shot. When the shot broke she dropped like a rock. Dad went running in to slit her throat. Next thing I knew he was running back out and leaped the fence yelling “She is up! She is up! Shoot her again!” Now she was really pissed! She saw me perched on the fence and came for me! Last thing I remember was her head 3 feet away and coming, I pushed the gun towards her head and pulled the trigger as I awaited my fate and the bone crushing impact that never came. When I opened my eyes. She lay stone dead at my feet. I had shot her between the eyes. Anyway the point I’m making is I agree with the others, HF hunts can be much more challenging than people realize. Especially when your hunting dangerous game.😂

The OP asked for suggestions on a HF deer hunt. He didn’t ask for everyone’s opinions on if they thought it was right or not.

Low fence guys think high fence guys are wimps. Hunting over 100 acre corn field guys think hunting over corn feeder guys are wimps. Western guys who hunt 15 miles back think western guys who hunt 2 miles back are wimps. Trad bow hunters think compound bow hunters are wimps. Long ranch rifle hunters think normal range rifle hunters are wimps. It goes on and on. No matter how you hunt there’s another group that thinks you’re taking the easy way, no matter who you are.

Macintosh

WKR
I understand how a big fenced area can be big enough that its much bigger than a deers range, and its more or less the same hunt as a non-fenced area. I’m curious if they are the same in that regard, what is it about the high-fence area, and how is that achieved, that has people looking specifically for a fenced hunt as opposed to just a hunt on a big private ranch?

Edit: I saw the post about keeping young deer out, reducing density so more food per deer, and changing sex ratio to be evenish. Dont you wind up with pretty inbred deer if you dont let new blood in?

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I was one of the biggest critics of high fence hunting - everything about it is wrong, especially the record books that have lost all credibility by not questioning vigorously and eliminating any fenced in animals.

Since I last posted about it, I inherited a lifetime club membership with a free elk and muledeer per year, so now I’m ok with it. I justify it by comparing it to beady-eyed farm raised pheasants released by Game and Fish, farm raised trout, elk surviving on a refuge feed lot, elk and deer living off hay stacks, and geographically isolated game units that are as locked in as any high fence.

Perspective is a funny thing.

rogerthat

FNG
I understand how a big fenced area can be big enough that its much bigger than a deers range, and its more or less the same hunt as a non-fenced area. I’m curious if they are the same in that regard, what is it about the high-fence area, and how is that achieved, that has people looking specifically for a fenced hunt as opposed to just a hunt on a big private ranch?

Edit: I saw the post about keeping young deer out, reducing density so more food per deer, and changing sex ratio to be evenish. Dont you wind up with pretty inbred deer if you dont let new blood in?
The genetics can be controlled too. A two year old whitetail can have well over 200” antlers on its way to 500”” full potential.

Honyock

WKR
Different strokes for different folks, but I have zero interest in paying for a deer "buy the inch". Bucks with diffferent color ear tags based on their size are not wildlife.
  • Whitetail Hunts
  • Buck Gross Score
  • Price
  • Silver
  • 130"-159"
  • $4,500
  • Gold
  • 160"-179"
  • $6,500
  • Platinum
  • 180"+
  • $9,500
  • Doe/Meat
  • 2 Doe
  • $1,000

Macintosh

WKR
The genetics can be controlled too. A two year old whitetail can have well over 200” antlers on its way to 500”” full potential.
Im wondering how. As in, functionally, logistically, on a place that big, how can you achieve that level of control? Especially when half the genetics comes from the doe, which doesnt have visible antler genetics? Or are they literally tagged or chipped or something, like livestock?

Honyock

WKR

Im wondering how. As in, functionally, logistically, on a place that big, how can you achieve that level of control? Especially when half the genetics comes from the doe, which doesnt have visible antler genetics? Or are they literally tagged or chipped or something, like livestock?
It's called breeder bucks. There was a high fence buck that escaped in Oklahoma a several years back that got whacked by a hunter. The owner of the high fence complained and stated that he had paid $14k for the buck. You can also AI does like they do heifers with straws from a breeder buck.

Macintosh

WKR
Right, but that would only control 50% of the genetics, unless they are selecting the does as well, and if so how?

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
There is a line… if every deer is catalogued with range/pattern known and the hunt is paid by the deer/score - I’m out. I don’t have any interest in that and find it to be nothing more than a live stock sell. PY and B&C should have a different category for those…

Now, a giant (5k+ acre) ranch with exotics… I don’t know - I haven’t landed.

Honyock

WKR
Per B&C: "As a means of separating the actions of commercial market hunters from those of sportsmen, an ethical code of hunter conduct was discussed at the first meeting of the Boone and Crockett Club in 1887. The name given to this code was, fair chase and it is defined by the Club as “the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper or unfair advantage over the game animals. It reflects an ideal to pursue game in the field in a manner that pays respect to the animals hunted and the traditions of hunting as a mechanism for conservation. Fair chase is part of an overall hunting ethic."

If not, guys would be able to buy a B&C book deer or world record. The prices I listed above was from the first thing that came up when I googled "Texas high fence hunt" so for $9,500 you could kill a B&C book deer. As I initially state, different strokes for different folks, so I'm not criticizing anyone that has the $$$ and wants to do it, just not my idea of hunting.