high fence whitetail

trekker9

FNG
Why would I waste my time? You are the one that seems close minded and are convinced you know it all about high fence hunting even though you say you’ve never tried it and have no interest.

I can tell you high fence hunts can be what you want or don’t want them to be. But your broad brush assessment of this is wrong in all reputable high fence ranch outfitters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

"Reputable high fence ranch outfitters"

Lmao.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The average Whitetail lives and dies within 2.75 KM of where it was born according to many studies. Deer in places with great feed less than that. Lot of WT hunters track the deer for several years, cameras, etc. Not exactly chasing Moose in the sheep in the Yukon. If the fence is on 25k acres then that deer may have never seen the fence in it's lifetime.

Per B&C: "As a means of separating the actions of commercial market hunters from those of sportsmen, an ethical code of hunter conduct was discussed at the first meeting of the Boone and Crockett Club in 1887. The name given to this code was, fair chase and it is defined by the Club as “the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper or unfair advantage over the game animals. It reflects an ideal to pursue game in the field in a manner that pays respect to the animals hunted and the traditions of hunting as a mechanism for conservation. Fair chase is part of an overall hunting ethic."

If not, guys would be able to buy a B&C book deer or world record. The prices I listed above was from the first thing that came up when I googled "Texas high fence hunt" so for $9,500 you could kill a B&C book deer. As I initially state, different strokes for different folks, so I'm not criticizing anyone that has the $$$ and wants to do it, just not my idea of hunting.

While you can certainly pay a ridiculous money for a big buck in a Texas high fence ranch, the same could be said for some South Texas low fence places as well and some Midwestern hunts too.

This deer was shot on a Texas HF place but was considerably less cost that what you found in your search.

58b85208df814c9514efb2a41e3bf04a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honyock

WKR
As far as how far whitetail deer range, it may be different in your area but they range pretty good in mine. I had this buck on camera all summer and he was killed 3.5 miles away. Everybody within three miles of my place had him on camera at all different times of the year.

The Big Guy.jpg

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As far as how far whitetail deer range, it may be different in your area but they range pretty good in mine. I had this buck on camera all summer and he was killed 3.5 miles away. Everybody within three miles of my place had him on camera at all different times of the year.

View attachment 659404
Thats considered far for a WT, but consider a mule deer or elk could travel 250 miles in a year.

CJF

WKR
I shot a high fence once , hit it right in the pole , it didn't even fall .
Obviously didn't use a .223 77grTMK.

Seriously though, I have hunted a high fence operation once. It was a "free" offer related to work. I was allowed to kill a management buck (any mature 8pt), 2 does, and as many hogs as I could. Killed the buck, does and 4-5 hogs. I enjoyed the hunt very much. I don't know if I would have paid for it...but that's just me. If I had the offer to go again for little or no cost, I would in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

fshaw

WKR
To each their own, not for me. Personal opinion, and we all know what they’re like, but I believe when we genetically manipulate whitetails so they’ll grow bigger antlers we disrespect both the animal and nature. One man’s opinion.

MattB

WKR
Ahh I’ve been educated. Then how/what does B&C define a high fence?
They don’t. The specific verbiage from the B&C entry affidavit is “IV. Confined by artificial barriers, including escape proof fenced enclosures;”

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To each their own, not for me. Personal opinion, and we all know what they’re like, but I believe when we genetically manipulate whitetails so they’ll grow bigger antlers we disrespect both the animal and nature. One man’s opinion.
They genetically alter them? Or they just use selective breeding?

fshaw

WKR

They genetically alter them? Or they just use selective breeding?
We artificially genetically manipulate a wild species when we selectively harvest sperm using an electroejaculator under general anesthesia for artificial insemination to selective breed a species to alter their traits to please the human asthetic. I find it disrespectful of a fine wild animal and of nature. I don’t want to see them turned into the equivalent of labradoodles through consanguineous mating (line breeding) to artificially enhance characteristics so they are more desirable for display on people’s walls. But I’d also rather catch smaller heritage strain brook trout than larger stocked fish bred and raised in captivity. Just one man’s opinion. I could be wrong on this opinion and I’m OK with that.

Last edited: