High Mountain Lake Fishing - Float Tube or Raft Recommendations

boom

WKR
i fish a lake up in the Sierras. we horse pack in, hike out fishing.

i am not that strong where i would consider a raft..seems like a fun way to reach out there. the lake we go to, the fish are fairly dumb..easy to catch.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Are you gear fishing or fly fishing? In a small raft-like boat you will just spin around and around if you're fly casting. Those little rafts are more for backpack floating down moving water, using a stick or paddle to direct, have you ever seen someone paddle those on flat water? Belly boat gives you a lot more control, but you have the added weight of waders and flippers if you want to use them.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Are you gear fishing or fly fishing? In a small raft-like boat you will just spin around and around if you're fly casting. Those little rafts are more for backpack floating down moving water, using a stick or paddle to direct, have you ever seen someone paddle those on flat water? Belly boat gives you a lot more control, but you have the added weight of waders and flippers if you want to use them.

I will be fly fishing mostly. I'm going to go with a float tube. It's too hard to maneuver a raft while fishing. With the tube, I can do both at once a lot easier.

Mt Al

WKR
I just completed one of the diypackraft.com packrafts. Fun project that I'll post on the DIY page some day. With a folded up inflatable sleeping pad to sit on, which you're already carrying, it's not too bad as far as comfort. Sleeping pad isn't a PFD but does allow some backup. I plan on using it for fishing mountain lakes. Now that I see that Supai one for a few hundred....I kind of wish i'd gone that way just to test it.

Tradeoffs for float tube vs. raft are fins+waders vs. a paddle. I'd rather do a paddle, but it would need to be a spendy light weight one! I do think a float tube would be more comfortable though, but I haven't tested them.

Long ago when I was a wee lad my dad "made" me and my brother haul a small raft up to Lower Arrow Lake in the Beartooths. It was heavy, it was awful blowing it up without a pump, took forever, but we SLAYED fish. Big ones in the middle of the lake, was awesome. We didn't have life vests, were way too far from shore and hate to think of what would have happened if it didn't hold air.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Not sure your budget, but this is about as light as it gets and his stuff is pretty good quality except for raft frames... Weight limits are pretty inflated.

Dave Scadden Paddlesports Ogden, Utah

I have done my fair share of high mountain fishing out of float tubes and rafts and definitely prefer the raft as long as it is stable and well inflated...the water is typically way too cold to kick a pontoon without waders. Once you add them, boots, and fins, the raft is probably equal from a weight standpoint.

WLLLC

FNG
Sorry for the long post, but this thread is of particular interest to me based on about 20 years of personal experience in wilderness hiking and fishing. One important disclaimer so all readers know: I am the founder and owner of Wilderness Lite…the ultralight float tubes, which I started in 2013 when needing new float tubes to replace our worn-out Wood River float tubes purchased in 2002. So, I definitely hold a bias to float tubes vs pack rafts, but thought some guidance on backcountry fishing gear based on two decades of experience might be of interest to those reading this post and considering gear options. Some links are included as sources of additional information, but much of the gear is available from several sources so best to shop for the best deal.

I go to the wilderness to fish. The hike is a chore after two knee surgeries. If there were not beautiful, remote, pristine lakes filled with trout at the end of the hike, I wouldn’t be hiking. Those who hike to fish with me go for the same reason, and we spend hours on the water every day in the wilderness. Destinations are selected so we can establish a base camp at a location where a few lakes are an hour or so (each way) day hike from camp. Base camp may move during our 7-10 day trip, but usually only once. We typically cover 10 to as many as 25 miles one way from trail head to base camp, so our gear must be as light as possible while being optimal for the ultimate goal, fishing. To keep both hands available for rod, reel, and fish at all times, and to maneuver effectively, efficiently, and safely in the wind on alpine lakes, we only use float tubes, and we have always carried them into the wilderness on our backs. We have seen others use pack rafts. Invariably they are not on the water the long hours we are day after day, and they seemingly struggle to fight the wind and to stay dry. This is especially the case on some of the larger lakes we have fished. At least for our purposes, an ultralight float tube is the only practical alternative. The gear we’ve carried has changed over 20 years based on what is available, what is highly functional, and what is the lightest possible that also is packable. Small pack volume can be as important as weight because the gear competes with food and clothing, etc inside our backpack. Unfortunately, some great fishing gear options have been discontinued. Here is what we have packed in to fish wilderness areas in recent years, and will use again for 2 trips during 2018.
One word of caution. The weight of some float tubes are advertised with qualifiers such as “hull weight 3.5 pounds” or listed as “7 pounds” when the TOTAL weight is actually much greater. Before making a purchase, suggest asking the TOTAL weight of the float tube to the nearest ounce, or even 0.1 oz., as well as the pack volume—just how small does it pack in a stuff sack, measured in liters or cu in.?

LIFE JACKET
We always wear a life jacket. Have not needed one, yet, but it is a necessity in cold mountain water despite the added weight to carry into the wilderness. One alternative we like is the Cabelas lightweight foam life preserver with 3 nylon straps and side opening plastic buckles that weighs just 15.0 ozs. It is a bit bulky, but can be rolled around the outside of a tent in its stuff sack and strapped under the bottom of your pack. This life jacket is adjustable and comfortable. It can double as a sleeping pad or seat cushion in camp, and is very reasonably priced.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...ntId=2064043&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42- 110108056-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=90250535&rid=20

An extraordinarily light but more expensive option is the Switlik airline style FAA approved life preserver.
http://www.switlik.com/aviation/airlines/singlecell
It weighs 13.9 oz equipped with a CO2 cartridge for inflation and a locator light. Both can be removed and the life preserver inflated using the oral inflation tube, which reduces weight to just 7.2 ozs.

FINS
Fins are essential for float tubing. They keep you exactly where you want to be on the water for optimal fishing with hands free for casting, mending line, and landing fish. We recommend the Creek Company lightweight fins. They are more than adequate propulsion, reasonably priced, and by far the lightest available at 19.1 oz. We have over a decade of favorable experience with these flippers. Unfortunately they are made in China, so recently the quality has varied a bit.
The Creek Company :: Fins :: #355 - Lightweight Fins

WADERS
Waders are highly recommended for the cool trout waters of mountain lakes if that is your destination with your ultralight float tube. When wearing waders in cool lakes, a breathable wader is essential to avoid excessive condensation inside the waders, and of course, backpacking necessitates the lighter weight stocking foot waders rather than boot foot waders which are far too heavy to carry any distance. The lightest breathable stocking foot waders we have identified are the Sonic Pro Ultra Packable waders from Redington. Including waist belt and suspenders, these waders weigh just 30.6 ozs, and proved reliable for the past three seasons when we used them for the first time in alpine lakes. They are currently being discontinued, but are available as "closeouts" in some sizes online at a reduced price. With gravel guards cut-off (gravel guards are not needed in a float tube) they are 28.4 ozs.

Page Not Found

Lightweight alternatives that are heavier than the Ultra Packables by a few ozs but can save a few dollars are the Redington Crosswater breathable waders.

https://www.amazon.com/Redington-Cr...5&sr=1-2&keywords=redington+waders&th=1&psc=1

FOOTWEAR
We recommend water shoes worn over stocking foot waders to protect your waders and your feet. We have tried neoprene gravel guards as the only protection over waders, but we prefer a bit harder sole as a cushion on lake side rocks. Water shoes also are great to wear around camp and provide a comfortable break from boots after the hike into the wilderness. The Speedo Surfwalker Pro 3.0 is one option for wader shoes that weigh just 7 oz each, 14.4 oz per pair. Remember to purchase a size large enough to fit over your stocking foot waders.
http://www.zappos.com/p/speedo-surfwalker-pro-3-0-speedo-black/product/8643815/color/601818
As an even lighter option at just over 12 oz per pair is the O'Neill boots below. These run small, so order a size larger than normal, even 2 sizes if wearing thick socks while float tubing.
https://www.zappos.com/p/oneill-superfreak-tropical-rt-boot-black/product/8349314/color/3

ULTRALIGHT FLOAT TUBE

Truly ultralight and packable float tubes are rare. Several of the group who hike with me still use Wood River float tubes purchased new in 2002 or purchased since that time as “used” float tubes. These weigh between 4 and 6 pounds total weight, and are still a packable float tube. For new ultralight float tubes today, the Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro float tube is the only option we’ve discovered at under 4 pounds that is suitable for multi-day hikes. It weighs 3 pounds 5.8 ozs total (mesh stuff sack adds 1.5oz), so is less than half the weight of any other float tube available, and the 9 liter pack volume in a stuff sack enables it to be carried inside your backpack while leaving room for other gear, food, etc. It is comfortable and functional on the water for hours of fishing day after day.

GEAR WEIGHT SUMMARY (lightest options)
Float tube 53.8 ozs (3 lbs, 5.8 ozs)
Life Preserver 7.2 ozs

Flippers 19.1 ozs

Waders 28.4 ozs

Water shoes 12.6 ozs

Inflation pump 3.6 ozs

TOTAL 124.7 ozs (7 lbs 12.8 ozs)

ENJOY YOUR BACKCOUNTRY FISHING HOWEVER YOU DO IT, STAY SAFE, & SEND PHOTOS!

just.mark

FNG
Old thread but I just switched from a cabelas float tube I carried inflated to a wilderness lite and its amazing. Just did a 5 in and 5 out hike and fish and the reduced weight of the wilderness lite was noticeable. I like to fly fish those high lakes and you need to be able to steer with your feet especially when dealing with the wind. I didn't take bottom insulation and frozen my junk off but that's a lesson learned and I just read that the wilderness lite now had a pillow to keep you higher in the water. Thought i might share.

I've had a wilderness lite float tube since 2015. It's a great float tube and I've been very happy with it. The only problem is that I learned pretty quickly that I prefer to fish high mountain lakes from shore. There are a few places where lakes are big enough that a float tube makes covering water easier, some large lakes in the Wind Rivers come to mind. For the most part though, fishing the inlets and outlets, and the drop offs from shallow shelves into the deeper parts of the lakes is where the most action is, and is easily covered from shore. I consider myself an avid wilderness lake fisherman and I don't use my wilderness lite tube very often. When I do want to use it, it's very nice, but that has only been a handful of trips over the last seven years.