Hiking trails - How far away

Plans have been recently shaken up and we are looking at a new unit in CO for this year. This unit has some prominent 14'ers and I'm wondering what kind of effect this has on the elk come mid October. How far away is far enough from the popular trails? Are there few enough people by first rifle season that it doesn't have as much of an effect?

Pow

FNG
The further you are away from Denver, the fewer people you'll see. A lot less people do 14ers after August too.

chindits

WKR
The further you are away from Denver, the fewer people you'll see

Unless you get close to Durango. Me and the Mrs. backpacked across the west half of the Weminuche Wilderness last year and that Durango Silverton country made me sick with all the peeps. It didn't get good until we got near the Creede side.

Trails need to be taken with a grain of salt. I have been glassing elk and they didn't even raise their heads up when dirt bikes were on the trail below them. However, when they see a person on foot in that same country off trail they can't get away fast enough. Same thing with the heavily used mnt bike trails around here. The elk will adapt to the passing transient, but come hunting season they will be ghosts to the foot traveler on the stalk. Now come rifle season, all those tourist and 14er baggers thin out and the critters know the hunt is on.

ElkNut1

WKR
Stay away from trails & gated road systems as access points & you will lose most hikers & hunters especially on OTC hunts! If you locate unused trails then go for it.

ElkNut1

Bar

Banned
Elk are where you find them, and you can find them anywhere. I can show you places elk live year around that you wouldn't believe they'd be there.

When elk are pressured they don't always go far away from the hunters. They do go where it's hard for the hunters to get to. Most elk hunters are lazy and take easy routes. Think like an elk. Not a human.