Hill Country Rifles

Riplip

WKR
Anyone here have experience (good or bad) with Hill Country Rifles? I know they have reputation for quality rifles and work, but I have sent two emails and tried to call regarding one of their custom rifles (which is not cheap) with no response. I know everyone's busy, but it is crazy to me that someone takes the time and effort to establish a business in which they advertise, list and market items for sale and then don't respond to potential customers.

Their lack of response probably saved you a lot of money. I'm looking at their ready-to-ship rifles and I'm seeing $7,338 for a gun that would cost you maybe $4,500 from a much more reputable builder. And they even have a meaningless 3 round 1/2MOA group with it. If you're looking to spend that amount of cash I'd strongly encourage you to use another builder. I'll list a few below but there are a bunch.

R Bros (check this one out especially, they even do load development like HCR does but better)
TS Customs
GA Precision (lead times are probably crazy so probably not worth it)
Longrifles Inc
Short Action Customs
Southern Precision Rifles (also known as Bugholes)

I think R Bros is the closest match to what HCR seems to offer but any of those builders will build an absolute lazer of a rifle and give you advice on how to build it. I personally placed a barreled action order with TS Customs today but for a non-hunting purpose. And I've used LRI before as well.

Last edited:
Their lack of response probably saved you a lot of money. I'm looking at their ready-to-ship rifles and I'm seeing $7,338 for a gun that would cost you maybe $4,500 from a much more reputable builder. And they even have a meaningless 3 round 1/2MOA group with it. If you're looking to spend that amount of cash I'd strongly encourage you to use another builder. I'll list a few below but there are a bunch.

R Bros (check this one out especially, they even do load development like HCR does but better)
TS Customs
GA Precision
Longrifles Inc
Short Action Customs

I think R Bros is the closest match to what HCR seems to offer but any of those builders will build an absolute lazer of a rifle and give you advice on how to build it. I personally placed a barreled action order with TS Customs today but for a non-hunting purpose. And I've used LRI before as well.

Years ago one of the listed 'smiths was going to build my first custom. A friend of mine worked/works there. I knew what I wanted but they couldn't find the time to take the order after over a month since my initial inquiry.

Eventually I emailed Jon Beanland and he called me back that Friday night to talk through my build and it was finalized after a short discussion.

Ever since, I've tried (and sometimes failed) to not pester gunsmiths and let them get the work done rather than spend time on the phone. Some are great at com and some are awful. But there are good smiths that are responsive so I don't bother with the ones that seemingly need reservations for 2 weeks in the future just to place an order.

Years ago one of the listed 'smiths was going to build my first custom. A friend of mine worked/works there. I knew what I wanted but they couldn't find the time to take the order after over a month since my initial inquiry.

Eventually I emailed Jon Beanland and he called me back that Friday night to talk through my build and it was finalized after a short discussion.

Ever since, I've tried (and sometimes failed) to not pester gunsmiths and let them get the work done rather than spend time on the phone. Some are great at com and some are awful. But there are good smiths that are responsive so I don't bother with the ones that seemingly need reservations for 2 weeks in the future just to place an order.
That's unfortunate. The only two of those I have actual experience contacting are LRI and TS Customs. LRI picks up every time I call and Kalli is very helpful. Also I emailed TS Customs on Sunday and got a same-day reply and then arranged a call for today which I did this morning. So both of those (at least for me) have been solid communicators so far.

BjornF16

WKR

TS Customs
GA Precision (lead times are probably crazy so probably not worth it)
Longrifles Inc
Short Action Customs

Add Unknown Munitions and Alamo Precision