Hip Pain

Mudd Foot

WKR
Just started performing Gluteus Medius exercises per a Physical Therapist’s rec for reducing hip pain during heavy backpack loads. Funny thing is that those of us that are gym rats will recognize the floor routines from watching the girls through the glass in their aerobics classes…

Anyway, Jane Fonda leg warmers aside, if you perform a search on Youtube you’ll find a bunch of examples of the floor side-raises. Lay on your side… support your torso on your elbow… top leg is held so your toes are slightly behind the heel of your bottom foot.

The key for me is the same that PT’s advocate for stability training; 3-5 second hold at the top of the motion, and 3 second lowering. In other words, SLOW. 2 sets of 10 reps per leg. These are followed by a standing version with the leg in question held behind the support leg. Also 2x 10 reps. Twice a day.

In 6 days, these exercises have completely eliminated my hip pain, and any back pain that accompanies carrying a loaded pack. In all of the years since the Army or my competitive bodybuilding days, no other set of exercises has had such a profound impact on my back, or such an immediate improvement on intended performance.

Sad thing is that it never crossed my mind to perform these, as I mistaken thought that squats and leg presses adequately covered the entire area. This was a fallacy, as the leg lifts are hard to perform without any added weight utilizing the 5 second at-the-top count, which is evidence of weakness in the area.

Hopefully, any of you that suffer from similar issues might find this helpful.

Mudd Foot

chindits

WKR
I'll have to give this a try. I just thought I wore out my left hip from too much trail running, ruckmarcking, and skate skiing. I dig the leg warmers, especially while wearing my hunter orange loin cloth.

Could you post a few good youtube links for us. Thanks
I have a knee giving me fits right now so if I could exercise something else, great.

Ray

WKR
These movements remind me of my issues with my piriformius muscle and sciatic nerve entrapment within the hip. Do all the squats you want, but you will never get these small muscles to get worked unless you do some lateral movement. Most of us guys don't do much lateral stuff on a regular basis. I don't have much of an issue with the leg warmers. Its the butt floss leotards that ruined my concentration.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, apparently I need to do these! My right hip kills me off and on and I just did 2 sets of 20 with each leg at my lunch workout. Holy crap that hurt. Feels better already though. Unfortunately I have to agree with Ray, seems like I always do most of my working out in one plane. Thanks for the tip.
Josh

Snyd

WKR
Stretching the Psoas can help with hip pain as well.

Ray

WKR
Snyd has a good point about stretching. For decades I have performed limited hamstring stretching. And my limited I mean only one or two types of stretches.

Now at middle age I have so little flexibility it causes all kinds of issues throughout the entire muscle train. After the piriformis issues I learned a few more stretches that are mandatory to keep my hips comfortable, and this last weekend I started to incorporation a hamstring stretch used in the PT industry for recovering from injuries. First time I have ever felt a stretch involve the full lenghth of the muscle and go deep into the pelvis. A few days later and I can already feel a change in my back. I have to keep in mind that just because I am feeling good today is no reason to stop doing all the movements I need to do.

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Based on your comments Ray, here is another video that show a new exercise that I've added to the above routine.

Piriformis strengthening - the exercise is located at 1:24 in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip0xXylORVM

Also, the PT added a seated version of the windshield wiper. This hits the anterior of the Gluteus Medius.

With two weeks into this 4 exercise routine, not only is my hip pain gone, but I've doubled the weight of my training pack...

Mudd Foot

PMcGee

WKR
Sir (RAY), I think I have piriformis syndrome. How long did it take you to recover? I get temporary relief from stretches but my low back and hips feel compromised all day. Thank you for your time.

Google how to release piriformis. The tennis ball trick worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
So glad this came back up today. I have been having a bunch of problems and pain due to my hips being crazy tight. Did a few rounds of this exercise before lifting today and it helped!

Ray

WKR
Sir (RAY), I think I have piriformis syndrome. How long did it take you to recover? I get temporary relief from stretches but my low back and hips feel compromised all day. Thank you for your time.

Hmm, my piriformis issue was a two month long ordeal with a chiro. One wrong move and I was crippled and couldn't move my left hip without screaming. The chiro ended up useless. A tennis/golf ball in my butt or his elbow would help for just a few minutes. I'd leave his office, walk to the truck, push in the clutch and be right back to screaming in pain.

A coworker turned me on to an osteopath. It took three weeks to get in to see him. He "cured" my hip in 5 minutes and finished it off over two more visits. Some of his cure was more painful than what my body was doing. But it fixed it. He also fixed my left ankle, which was broken in 1983 during wrestling practice. He fixed my sciatica and the resulting faciaitus(sp) all down the left leg.

If you are feeling things wrong in your back and hips, you may have several things going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk