Hip replacement.....Anybody been there done that?

So I’m seeing the doc to schedule a hip replacement this Friday. I’m curious if any here have been thru this and what I should expect. The online stuff is a wee bit scary!

My doc looked at it about a year ago and commented that most folks in my condition would have already done the replacement. At the time I was still hiking and my only issue was getting my left sock on each morning. Basically it’s like I have a door stop wedged into my left hip so I can only raise it maybe 40% as normal. And now it has gotten worse. Bad enough that I didn’t wear my Solomon’s once this year because I physically cannot tie them so all of my hunting was done in Mucks which isn’t optimal. And this was the first year in about 30 years I did not go on a multi-night backpacking and/or hunting trip. Deadfall and river crossings were my biggest worry but the climbs also suck. Big right step little left step gets real old real quick! And don’t even get me started on pooping in the woods. I went to a basketball game Sunday night and with no leg room it was quite painful and was bad enough that I had trouble getting to sleep Sunday night. And I never have problems getting to sleep. So the time has come . The good news is that according to my doc this will only need to be done once as the “new processes” are good for a lifetime.

My biggest concern is that as a bachelor will I be able to get along on my own that first week or do I need to figure out an alternative plan? I’d hate to poop myself because I can’t sit!

Any questions I should be asking the doc on Friday? And what should I expect in the weeks/months following the surgery? I’d be thrilled to be back backpacking in July and good to go come Sept which is why I want to get this done early in ’18.

Any thoughts or good/horror stories appreciated!

KJH

WKR
My dad had it done after trying to avoid it for a couple of years. It got so bad he could hardly walk...

He walked with a walker the day of surgery and for the next week. On day 7 he was walking on his own and driving himself to morning coffee with his buddies. He never had any pain whatsoever and never even took any pain medication. Now, 2 years later, he's 100% and only wishes he would have done it a lot sooner. He did the physical therapy for a month. After a month, you would have never known he had a bad hip or any surgery.

We just talked about it at Thanksgiving. His advice is don't be stupid and wait like he did.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a tear in my hip repaired and you will definitely want help at least for 3 days. Even if you aren’t needing pain meds, you will need help getting to the bathroom and it is nice to have someone be able to help get you food. In a worse case scenario I suppose I could have tried to do it on my own if I had to, but I only had a scope repair done and it’s pretty challenging the first couple days. I WOULD NOT have wanted to risk reinjuring myself just because I didn’t want to ask for help. Good luck on your recovery. As the previous poster said, you will wish you had it done sooner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
After helping Tanya on two hip surgeries. I would strongly suggest having help for the first week.

elkduds

WKR
If you live alone, ask the surgeon about staying in a rehab center for a few days after surgery for help w ADLs and PT/OT. Good luck, hope it makes you all better.

elkguide

WKR
You will need assistance for the first couple of days and as long as you do everything that the doctor and the physical therapists say, you should be able to make your goals for the summer and fall. Good luck.

I have a few older family members and a good friend - mid 40s - that had them done.

My sense is when it goes right it is pretty good. My 75 year old step dad was on a walker Day one. Walking inn the week and back to normal in a few months.

My younger budddy was back to golfing too fast. Doctor told him to back off even if he felt good as the one needed to heale around the implant.

My father in law had some surgical complications. He ended up having it revised ( do over) and is much better.

Based on that sampl of 3 I would say have some help for a week just in case. You may not need it but line it up in case You do. Home health assistants (not skilled nurse but just a helper) can be had pretty cheap for verything from meal prep to bathing to light housework.

rlg5

FNG
I had a total hip replacement in the middle of August this year. I was at the same place you are at, wasn't even able bend far enough to tie my right boot, couldn't hike more than a mile, and it was affecting my knee and ankle. After talking to the Ortho Dr, I couldn't get it done soon enough!

My first advice is don't watch anything on the internet about the procedure, it is BRUTAL!! You're better off not knowing what is going to happen. I wish I had not looked it up.

Do not go through the recovery alone. It sounds like you are getting the same procedure I had. Incision will be on the side of the hip so it's not actually all that uncomfortable. You will be able to walk with a walker but you will be unstable and weak for a few days and weeks. You may need help getting off the couch and especially into and out of bed. A fall during your recovery will be devastating. Twisting or over rotating the hip can cause it to dislocate and could perforate the incision. My Dr, nurse, and therapist all said the only problems they have ever seen were from people overdoing it and falling. After a few days I was able to get around better and was on a cane in a week, mostly self-sufficient.

What else, if your toilet is short get an extender and there are handles you can buy to put on it. Get them, they made it so much easier.

I would ask again about the life span of the implant, I was told about 20 years for someone active, but that heavy lifting and jumping will wear it out quicker, however I will take that over the misery I was putting myself through.

Get it done, don't rush the recovery, do the therapy and when your Doc gives you the green light start hitting the trail again. I think by three months out I had worked up to a 40 pound pack on a semi rugged 2 mile trail, something which was physically impossible for me before the surgery.

Good luck, hope this helps you some, and I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Gobspur

FNG
All I can offer is words of encouragement. My grandfather had both hips replaced at 83 yrs old. He was good as new in a few months. I would suggest having someone there to help in the beginning. Good luck!

MontanaPT

FNG
You will be happy you had it done. Post-op pain varies from person to person. Your post-op precautions vary depending on the procedure. Find out if they are doing an anterior or posterior approach. Posterior approach is the one easier to dislocate. Was the most common approach for years, but anterior is performed frequently now. Often times you will feel good quickly after hip replacement, usually the easiest of all joint replacements to go through. Also, ask about getting occupational therapy in the hospital, they will make sure you get any necessary equipment to function safely at home, especially since you will be home alone. Things such as toilet risers, reachers, sock aids, long handled shoe horns, elastic shoe laces, etc... Good luck!

530Chukar

WKR
You may check into stem cell injections as well before you fully commit. It's a newer technology and most insurances are not covering it yet. It is used in place of a hip replacement in a lot of instances now.

OP
BroodBuster
Well Monday was the day. Surgery went well. Gonna be a long week though. I’m taking it slow and easy and have some good friends helping me out. The swelling is down some from yesterday so I’m hoping I’ll be a little more comfortable today. Thanks for all the advice.

So, in prep, I bought a tv for the first time in like 20 years and loaded Netflix. Once I get through two seasons of Meat Eater what should I binge watch next?

jmez

WKR
I used a walker, much better than crutches. I didn't have mine replaced, fractured my femoral head off.

PT is going to hurt/suck but will be key in your recovery. Do what they tell you and do your exercises at home.

DavePwns

WKR
You will be happy you had it done. Post-op pain varies from person to person. Your post-op precautions vary depending on the procedure. Find out if they are doing an anterior or posterior approach. Posterior approach is the one easier to dislocate. Was the most common approach for years, but anterior is performed frequently now. Often times you will feel good quickly after hip replacement, usually the easiest of all joint replacements to go through. Also, ask about getting occupational therapy in the hospital, they will make sure you get any necessary equipment to function safely at home, especially since you will be home alone. Things such as toilet risers, reachers, sock aids, long handled shoe horns, elastic shoe laces, etc... Good luck!
Don't forget outpatient PT!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Well Monday was the day. Surgery went well. Gonna be a long week though. I’m taking it slow and easy and have some good friends helping me out. The swelling is down some from yesterday so I’m hoping I’ll be a little more comfortable today. Thanks for all the advice.

So, in prep, I bought a tv for the first time in like 20 years and loaded Netflix. Once I get through two seasons of Meat Eater what should I binge watch next?

I was a huge fan of Dexter and Mad Men, but what type of genre do you like? That may help in the weighing in:). It was a smart idea to buy the . I don’t think you will
regret it for your post-op recovery

Last edited: