Home Made Stoves?

colonel00

WKR
Yep, Lawnboi just beat me to it. Be very careful with the galvanized stuff. I also hang out on a BBQ forum where people build their own smokers and the big no no is using galvanized. Granted, there is always the ongoing debate about the lower temps of a smoker but if you get a good fire going in a stove and that thing is glowing, it could be off-gassing. Now, I believe you can remove the galvanizing by soaking the metal in vinegar for a period of time. Sadly, then the stove would probably rust pretty quickly. It works with smokers because they build up seasoning which protects the metal.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Galvanized gives off zinc oxide type of gas If I recall correctly, that's why if you use it you want to burn it out side initially to get the zinc off and always thereafter for good measure. It would not be a good choice for something permanent or an indoor stove or a BBQ for sure.

I am still working on this, just got back on Monday from an unsuccessful hunt. Hopefully I can get some legs on it this week, before next weeks hunt :)

Hardstalk

WKR
Galvanized gives off zinc oxide type of gas If I recall correctly, that's why if you use it you want to burn it out side initially to get the zinc off and always thereafter for good measure. It would not be a good choice for something permanent or an indoor stove or a BBQ for sure.

I am still working on this, just got back on Monday from an unsuccessful hunt. Hopefully I can get some legs on it this week, before next weeks hunt :)

Ive had galvy poisoning from welding galvy without a respirator. Its no bull! It coats your internals and goes thru a hardening process. I was completely immobile for 2 days until it wore off. Feels like your guts have froze solid. Stay away from galvy.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
interesting Gobb. How big is it though. Looks small. Ive made my mind up that Im going to get the Hill People gear Shepherd Stove. It is the biggest and easiest to setup from the video Ive seen.

003.jpgSHTF this is another prototype i actually just finished. Found these Keebler cans there bigger than a coffee can. Might be just right. I am going to use this in my Paratarp. Just got an annex for it and stove pipe is also on the way. Cant wait to do some burn testing with the two stoves. The keebler can stove cost less than 5 bucks to build. And yeah it will take up some space, but that idea earlier in this thread about carrying a bulky stove in the grabit was a good one.View attachment 11063

No, good point but these cans are steel. I am going to do some trial burns outside and burn off all that paint off. Well see if it holds up or not. I am more worried about warping.

jljmonky

FNG
SHTF, How is your cylinder coming?

I never took the bowl stove out of the "wrapper" to test last week, I will try and set it up next week or the week after at home if we get a temp drop and let you know how it goes.

For those interested in what the hell I am talking about I have a thread up on kifaru.net's camping discussion for my homemade stove from two dog bowls.

ScottP

WKR
My homemade job. Two stainless hotel steamer trays, SS threaded rods for legs. Door is simply a piece of SS shim stock, and rotates on a machine screw in the upper left corner. I can't find the other pics I took right now, but you get the idea. Its only ~6" tall, but I have 2 other sizes of trays, so can make 4 different stove bodies that all use the same door and pipe. Pipe is from TIgoat, SS.

Smallest version with all hardware and pipe is <3lbs. I could shave a few ozs off if I made lighter weight legs. Works great though, heats my small tarp to sauna temps w/out a problem. Boiled enough water for a mtn house in 9min.

stove1.jpgstove2.jpg

NWHunter

FNG
The steamer trays seem like a decent idea but kinda bulky and heavy. I wonder if stainless steel salad bar containers come in better sizes?

jljmonky

FNG
I am telling you, dog bowls.

5esu3avu.jpg

jljmonky

FNG
Total weight, less than 1 lb total weight for this small stove, about 9 inches in diameter.