Hood/ball style vs cowboy style hat debate over for me

Kostrize

WKR
I’ve been looking for a more modern Stormy Kromer type hat. Might try this-

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Ball cap pared with an ear band, or a watch cap, and frequently a neck gator.

I feel hoods really close down situational awareness, so I have debated a cowboy style hat, however the inability to adjust sizing is an issue if using an ear band or watch cap under it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Combination of neck gaiter, low profile hoods, ball cap and a beanie that pulls over the cap. If it’s more of a dealing with cold and weather then I’m using the hoods from my insulation and shell layers but those really restrict hearing and peripheral vision when actually hunting.

Drenalin

WKR
I’m a mesh back cap guy. I get some ventilation while I’m moving and then throw a hood or beanie on over it when I stop. I think that traps my warm air in the mesh and keeps me warm. Whatever the reason, a cap + beanie or hood is as warm as anything I’ve tried.

Tod osier

WKR
I’ve been looking for a more modern Stormy Kromer type hat. Might try this-

I really like that, do you have one to comment on warmth?

yfarm

WKR
Problem I have with earflaps in loss of hearing. Another issue is the loss of heat around your neck which is huge without a hood. Hoods restrict your peripheral vision as the connection with the coat limits your range of motion. My solution is a ball cap for the visor advantage with a Burton overhelmet sized fleece hood. Isnt tight to your head so you can hear, isnt tied to your coat so you can move and channels warm air from your collar around your ears and head as well as keep cold wind off your neck. Burton Burke hood available in camo
IMG_7002.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

*zap*

WKR
A hood is necessary for me when it is cold....along with a watch cap (beanie) that covers the ears and a peloton 97 watch cap for when I am moving....plus a neck gaiter. The head neck is an important area to keep warm/covered/insulated.

Thin merino gaiter, thin merino beanie, ball cap, then whatever hood (s) depending on temp. Sometimes I throw a heavier beanie over the ball cap.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
Tilley brimmed hats year round for me. The Montana hat is an absolute gem, even in warmer weather, and especially in cold wet weather. I pair it with a wrapped shemagh for my neck and face for warmth, or tie it around the crown of my hat as a cape to keep sun off my face/neck/shoulders in hot and sunny weather. The 360 brim gives great protection, and when you tie the shemagh as a cape, it breathes extremely well being lifted away from my skin. In especially hot weather I dunk the shemagh in a creek and evaporative cooling is very efficient. Also makes a decent makeshift mask in smokey environments. Might seem silly to some, but I swear it's the most comfortable and versatile headwear system I've tried. Most guys I know have too much pride and shame to ever try it.