Hornady 340gr .50cal ELD-X Bore Driver

cowboy300

WKR
I haven’t seen them in the wild yet and am on several email notifications when they become in stock online. I plan to try them out this year on elk myself

“Late spring” was the word from Hornady I believe on availability. Someone on another forum inquired recently.

CMF

WKR
I came to the muzzy forum just to look for info on these. I want to try them but can't find them in stock anywhere. Midway USA says they are "overdue"

You all may have seen it, but here is a video with them discussing the development of the bullet.

I think they said it was designed around a 1 in 28 twist barrel with BH209, and they were getting between 1700 and 1900 fps depending on the load..but Im doing all that from memory.

I'm planning to try them at the range. If they group well in my CVA Accura MR-X 50 cal. with the Williams peep/front globe sight, I may use them. I like the heavy 340 grs. for Sept. bull elk.

CMF

WKR
Anyone use the 290 gr Hornady FTX?

Decent option for deer in CO? Seems like people prefer a little heavier for elk?

If you look at some of the testing guys have done on the 290 ftx, you’ll see that it’s pretty soft at higher speed and may not expand at low speed. IMO, not a great elk bullet but it should be fine for deer. Here’s one test with a couple different charges.

Rich M

WKR
I'm hearing 3rd quarter production. Don't know if we will be able to get them in time for Colorado Muzzy season.

Crappy that they advertise stuff we can't get. At least you got time to do something else. Take a look a Fury bullets, they do ML bullets. I really like the .355 and .357 cal for 357 mag and 350 legend.

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
290gr ftx with 75gr of bh209. Used this combo to kill a nice buck 2 years ago. Not much of a bloodtrail, but it only went about 30 yards.

Crappy that they advertise stuff we can't get. At least you got time to do something else. Take a look a Fury bullets, they do ML bullets. I really like the .355 and .357 cal for 357 mag and 350 legend.
Agreed! It seems like the go to method for hornady lately is advertise something new and then it takes a year to hit shelves.

Hornady finally has the tip mold perfected and will begin production on these this month and next according to Ethan at ILoveMuzzleloading.

Fieds3536

FNG
Anyone use the 290 gr Hornady FTX?

Decent option for deer in CO? Seems like people prefer a little heavier for elk?

These are fantastic for deer. 84 gr blackhorn/ federal 209a primer. Incredible expansion and blood trail on 2 bucks 80/150 yards, also on 3 hogs 130/50/20 yards. My optima v2 shoot these sub 1/2 groups at 100 from sled. The only limitation is 150 yards is as far as they stay accurate. Had to switch to federal borelock 270gr to reach further

You all may have seen it, but here is a video with them discussing the development of the bullet.

I think they said it was designed around a 1 in 28 twist barrel with BH209, and they were getting between 1700 and 1900 fps depending on the load..but Im doing all that from memory.
Man, alot hype but Hornady wasn't ready to deploy them to the public. Heck of a marketing strategy, shame on them.

Laramie

WKR
Man, alot hype but Hornady wasn't ready to deploy them to the public. Heck of a marketing strategy, shame on them.
Literally all companies do this. You create demand prior to supply being available so they don't collect dust of shelves.