Hornady DVRT - thoughts, implications for terminal performance?

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I havent had a chance to look at the podcast yet, just saw an announcment from Hornady this morning. I doubt there is any significant implication for terminal performance of ELD-M bullets, but I guess its got to be re-proven once these new versions start to make their way onto the market?

jimh406

WKR
Sounds interesting. Some bullets have flatter points than others. The video seems to say that pointed bullets are probably the worst. I wondered if hollow points are more consistent.

I don't know if I'm misreading the announcement on their website but their phrasing seems to say that they've already been using this technology in 5 different bullet lines. They just now have the patent so they can share the "why" behind the design.

Bluefish

WKR
I don't know if I'm misreading the announcement on their website but their phrasing seems to say that they've already been using this technology in 5 different bullet lines. They just now have the patent so they can share the "why" behind the design.
I think you are correct. Looks like since 2018. Patent was issued, so now they are saying what they did as it can’t be copied.

BCsteve

WKR
They've been using that "technology" on the ELD's, A-Tip's and CX's from the beginning. They're just talking about it now because the patent got approved.

EdP

WKR
After watching the video the question in my mind is "what causes the drag variability in the sharp pointed bullets?" The presenters don't address the why, but rather suggest the reason is that the tips are pointed. My thought is that manufacturing tolerances become increasingly difficult to maintain as the taper increases. Individual bullets with perfect axial symmetry have less drag than those with slightly off center tips because a bullet tip that is not perfectly centered on the axis of rotation actually circles around the axis when in flight.

Hornady perhaps has found a properly sized meplat that trades a bit of drag reduction for consistency and optimized it relative to other bullet shape dimensions. If my supposition is true, future improvements in bullet mfg may negate the design improvement Hornady has developed. By developing the improvement and patenting it, Hornady may drive others to develop improved mfg techniques.

In any case, this is another example of Hornady's continuous efforts to provide better products for the consumer.