Hot tent - feeding the stove. Silky saw/hatchet?

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
How are folks breaking up wood for feeding a stove in their hot tent setups? Im considering one for backpacking hunts and Im assuming a silky saw is the best lightweight option for getting wood sized to fit in the stove?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Silky saws and Fiskars axes and hatchets are awesome.

That said, virtually zero chance I’m backpacking in a Fiskars X7 on a backpack hunt.

Depending on where you’re going, how many are going, stove size and anticipated weather, anything from a simple pair of leather gloves to a saw and hatchet might be necessary.

Silky saws. Fiskars hatchets and axes for the win.

Something lightweight and cheap if backpacking in

Frankly - I tried light small hatchet and busted knuckles. A small saw that slips in and out of plastic sheath worked great.

But I just prefer to stomp wood to stuff inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR

2.5oz

valtteri

FNG
My lightweight setup is a 4" fixed blade knife and a Silky Gomtaro 300mm replacement blade wrapped in hockey tape.

The saw weighs 4oz with a sheath from a regular saw. The hockey tape handle is enough for me, as I always have gloves on when using a saw. I've used shorter saws but always prefer the longest saw blade possible.
Knife and this saw has always been enough for my cylinder stove.

For dead-of-winter camping when skiing with a pulk, I use a Seek Big Mama stove and a large Fiskars splitting axe and a real bow saw, as the pulk will make bringing heavier items that much easier. In the winter you don't want to screw around but use the most efficient tools for getting firewood, at least that's my ethos. :)
41tghAn6S0S.jpgIMG_3575.jpeg

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Silky bigboy here (the saw, not me), sometimes with a hatchet, sometimes with beater woods knife. @valtteri I really like your idea with the Gomtaro.

My winter setup is heavier and can process bigger wood.

Sven saws are pretty sweet. I use mine pretty often from cutting sweepers, strainers, and beaver dams while floating rivers to cutting/clearing a trail to cutting firewood for the tent stove, even wood for the house if I don't have a chainsaw handy.