SO Cimarron hot tent

jdoyle243

FNG
Looking for advice from folks who own or have used a Cimarron tent/stove setup for backpacking. Looking to purchase and utilize on a late October mule deer hunt. Worth the weight/pain of having a stove when not dipping into November? Still researching general temperature ranges, most of the hunt will be near 6,500-7,000 feet, very high chance of snow but just trying to best spend my limited funds.

I love hot tents anytime there is moisture and I’m packed back into an area. Especially when it’s cold and some sort of moisture. Love getting my gear dry and being comfortable when it’s cold. Worth the couple pound penalty and few hundred dollars to have dry gear to me.

OP
jdoyle243

jdoyle243

FNG
I love hot tents anytime there is moisture and I’m packed back into an area. Especially when it’s cold and some sort of moisture. Love getting my gear dry and being comfortable when it’s cold. Worth the couple pound penalty and few hundred dollars to have dry gear to me.
As a stove hunting rookie, do those stoves work well for reducing condensation? I would assume so but have never used one. Any tips for getting water off the tent when packing up and moving camps?

As a stove hunting rookie, do those stoves work well for reducing condensation? I would assume so but have never used one. Any tips for getting water off the tent when packing up and moving camps?
Yes. Normally only takes a few minutes to get rid of most of the condensation in my Cimarron with the stove going. A few shakes before it goes back in the stuff sack gets rid of a lot of it also.

for extended trips, hot tents are a game changer, even in mild fall weather.

If it's just for one trip you can also rent them, pretty sure rent guns and gear / rent outdoor gear still offers hot tent setups

*zap*

WKR
Once you lite the stove in the am the condensation will burn off fast. The best way to fight condensation is to have good ventilation....let some air flow in under the sod skirt.
If you check the weather stats for the night and the dew point will get close to the temperature you need to vent the shelter very well......that is when condensation is the worst. # of people also contributes. I put line lok extensions on all stake loops and guy line loops that way I can raise the shelter up fast......just extend the pole a bit.

IMO, floorless & stove go together. SO medium is enough stove for that shelter and I would find what I want in the classifieds if your watching your $.

crich

WKR
Not a required item but nice to have and worth the small weight penalty IMO. If funds are limited I'd invest in a quality bag opposed to the stove. The stove allows you to go to bed warm and then warm up in the morning it will not burn all night. If you plan on moving every day setting it up and putting it away every day may be a pita. Not to mention youll be gathering wood every day opposed to once when you set up camp.

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
I brought my stove for a late September bear hunt last year. I brought my wife and lows were low 30s. Was awesome to light in the morning for breakfast and to burn off condensation in the tent.

Id bring it. Can be a big boost to morale and can keep you in the hunt there adverse conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gotcha_

FNG
Did some math and the "lightweight" Cimmaron for what I'd get is gonna be 8.125 lb and $1225! Thinking this is a hidden weight when looking at these off the bat & going deep.
  • Tipi 3 lb 7 oz (55oz)
  • Full Liner 19 oz (or 20oz with cone) - Liner seems required for condensation & 2 people in there
  • Large std. stove + Chimney (6’) 35oz + 12oz (I picked this for longevity, not spending this for it to break)
    • OR Medium U turn + Chimney (6’) 23oz + 9 oz
  • Tyvek Ground cloth 8oz

Plus a saw - 5 oz

A lot of people don't run liners. It can be nice, but definitely not a must have. And if you're running a stove, it'll dry up any condensation pretty quick.

prm

WKR
I have an older SO tipi design. The stove is truly amazing to have. Fire that up before bed, and relax on your sleeping bag with a nice warm glow. If anything is wet it can be dried off. Condensation can be managed in a tipi, but if you do get some the stove will dry it very quickly.

Gotcha_

FNG
A lot of people don't run liners. It can be nice, but definitely not a must have. And if you're running a stove, it'll dry up any condensation pretty quick.
I hear that the stove cant run overnight, and when the stove isnt running it picks up condensation like a sponge, especially in cold temps where it calls for this setup. So I'm thinking unless youre stoaking the fire every 2 hours, the condensation will be too much to be a 'non issue' and a liner is necessary, especially if youre in a down bag.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are not moving camp, it can be worth it depending on how hard wood is to get in the area.

If you are breaking camp every day, not worth it. That is how I normally hunt, and even when I bring the stove, I rarely set it up, even when wet and cold. Some of that is the pain breaking it down in the morning (and not wanting to light it as I need to get moving), and some of it is the pain of getting wood at the end of the day.

With a base camp, you can stock wood and have the stove loaded and ready when you come back.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
While not as popular as the seek outside and other stove options check out Lite outdoors. I’ve had pretty good luck with mine and it’s lighter/costs less than some of the other stoves out there. The cimmaron isn’t a huge area to heat so a small stove can go a long way. The stove setup can be frustrating at first but once you figure out how to set it up with practice it’s not too bad. I think my entire setup is at or just over 5 1/2 lbs.

Also if I bring a stove I skip out on the liner. Sure some condensation will build up but burn it off with the stove and vent properly.

Wyco307

FNG
Looking for advice from folks who own or have used a Cimarron tent/stove setup for backpacking. Looking to purchase and utilize on a late October mule deer hunt. Worth the weight/pain of having a stove when not dipping into November? Still researching general temperature ranges, most of the hunt will be near 6,500-7,000 feet, very high chance of snow but just trying to best spend my limited funds.
You can see 80 degrees or single digits in October. it can be one of the most unpredictable times of the year at any kind of elevation. I hunted in a foot of snow last October at 8,000 feet. A heat source will can be a game changer. Is the unit roadless or all wilderness? If weight is a concern, I'm a firm believer in a basecamp with the option to bomb in somewhere for a few days.

Wyco307

FNG
But to answer the question, the cimmaron is a great option with the stove. It has been my go to tent for a few years now. When you do it af ew times both the stove and tent take very little time to set up. A stove is the way to go to prevent condensation. The only downfall of a flourless teepee are drafts if you get a cold wind.

OP
jdoyle243

jdoyle243

FNG
You can see 80 degrees or single digits in October. it can be one of the most unpredictable times of the year at any kind of elevation. I hunted in a foot of snow last October at 8,000 feet. A heat source will can be a game changer. Is the unit roadless or all wilderness? If weight is a concern, I'm a firm believer in a basecamp with the option to bomb in somewhere for a few days.

Lots of roads around the wilderness pieces but plan on going into non road areas 6-10 miles

crich

WKR
If you are not moving camp, it can be worth it depending on how hard wood is to get in the area.

If you are breaking camp every day, not worth it. That is how I normally hunt, and even when I bring the stove, I rarely set it up, even when wet and cold. Some of that is the pain breaking it down in the morning (and not wanting to light it as I need to get moving), and some of it is the pain of getting wood at the end of the day.

With a base camp, you can stock wood and have the stove loaded and ready when you come back.
Not to mention the stove pipe is loud as hell when handling.

OP
jdoyle243

jdoyle243

FNG
Do have any experience with this type of hunting? Packing a deer and your camp out 6-10 miles is not as much fun as it sounds.

Yes sir. Multiple times with deer, one occasion with elk. It might just be the most fun thing I can do in the woods!

10 miles is a poke, most hunts have been in that 7-8 mile range but ALL have been in late September/early October. Temps from 30-75, never had a need for a stove or floor-less shelter, but am curious for using it as a late Oct-Nov system.