House Contractor Won't Finish - Repercussions?

hobbes

WKR
As mentioned a couple times earlier, there are plenty of areas outside of towns/out in the county that don't require anything more than inspection of the septic and the state typically regulates that, especially in rural counties. This includes most of Montana. Within city/town limits, that's not the case. Even then, it'll vary on what inspections are required depending upon how developed the town and it's code is,not to mention if they have the budget to pay a building inspector. Some folks recognize that as a benefit and prefer to not have someone regulating their every move.

woods89

WKR
My area has no inspections outside of city limits. Even in my local town the oversight is minimal.
A lot of shoddy work gets done as a result, as most customers have a hard time recognizing where things go wrong.

Scary to think that a state/county doesn’t require an inspection on something that involved beam calculations. In MN anything structural, including any modification to an exterior wall (window or door install), or anything involving plumbing/electrical/HVAC/insulation would require a permit and inspections.

Was there a permit? If so, how does your county know that the work was done to code? Submitted photos? Just trying to wrap my head around the process in your area to better help you out.
I hesitate to say most, but at least a large number of states the inspections are done by municipalities.

Outside of the city limits there's no one to do them.