How cold is too cold?

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed out on my first late season hunt and I'm planning on backpacking in. I'm running a 6 man tipi and am planning on buying LiteOutdoors 8"x18" stove to help keep warm. I am expecting to see temps down to the negatives. My question is, how cold have you run your floorless shelter with a titanium stove? I am already expecting to wake up every 2-3 hrs to keep it burning.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You don't rely on a stove to stay warm/survive that is what your sleeping bag is for. Stove is for night/morning warming/drying/thawing the tent & gear and making it more comfortable to be out of your sleeping bag.

I agree with pods8, you need a bag that can keep you warm without the stove. The stove is only for temporary warm ups and dry outs. If you tried to stay warm with a sub standard bag you would spend all your day gathering/processing wood and wouldn't sleep at night because you would have to stay up stoking the stove. No time for hunting.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Umm. . my 6-man and stove has been out on a couple backcountry ski tours. Seems like it got cold those nights. I wouldn't plan on your stove running all night (even with 2-3 hours stokes). . . and the thought of getting up that frequently really turns me off. As mentioned above, get a proper sleeping bag for the conditions. The tipi, however, is a perfect shelter for your intended backcountry trip.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the tips, I guess ill just add a liner to my zero degree bag and hope for the best. Guess I was over estimating the stove

FlyGuy

WKR
Don't know what bag you have, but consider buying a -20F bag for the trip. or for a less expensive option you may look at adding something like a doobie or woobie from Kifaru to your existing bag (and a damn good sleeping pad). Or maybe plan to sleep with a Lost Park Parka on (I've heard their may be pants coming out soon but not certain about that).

I've not hunted that season, but if negative temps are the norm then I would hate to be pushing the limits of my system every night. As others have said, the stove is for making the trip more comfortable, but NOT to supplement a bag that was not built for task at hand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Also get or make a pocket bellows and plenty of fire starter. Was a game changer running a stove. You will absolutely love having the stove just not gonna work as a substitute for a sleeping bag. On real cold trips I bring the thermarest thin foam pad to put under my inflatable pad and that helps. Bulky but light. But keep your eyes open for a winter bag. I was able to get an REI -20 degree 800 fill down bag on super clearance for $180 last year. It is an absolute oven.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm headed out on my first late season hunt and I'm planning on backpacking in. I'm running a 6 man tipi and am planning on buying LiteOutdoors 8"x18" stove to help keep warm. I am expecting to see temps down to the negatives. My question is, how cold have you run your floorless shelter with a titanium stove? I am already expecting to wake up every 2-3 hrs to keep it burning.

Where do you plan on going? I would agree with the comments. A sleeping bag is more important than a stove is. Having good base layers is also key in my opinion. As you'll probably be sleeping in them if the weather gets cold enough. A few years back I was in the back country in Colorado and the temps got to -20 at night. The sleeping bad I had and my Sitka base layers were amazing. I didn't have to wake up every few hours to tend to the stove.

Last edited:
OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I just received first lites new puffy! which is incredible btw. and I will also be wearing kuiu kenai pants and most likely my merino wool base layers underneath. I'm a archery guy, I may hunt late season like this probably less than 10 times in my life and cant justify an 800 fill -20 bag. I've got some military grade woobies. I'll probably pack one of those for inside my sleeping bag.... damn, that sounds like a ton of insulation!