How did you pick your pack?

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
How in the world did you guys pick out your pack? With all the great selections out there I'm having a heck of a time deciding. Don't really have a place to try some out. Did you guys order a few in and return the ones you didn't like? Or did you just take a chance and hope you liked what you picked?

I've been eyeing up the Exo 3500, the new outdoorsman spur 50, Seekoutside Peregrine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
For me, it's important to remember that all of the higher end packs (Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, etc.) are great, and you will absolutely be happy with whatever you purchase as long as it fits you properly.. Really comes down to what you're looking for. Minimalist? Stone glacier. Do you value customizability? KIfaru. Do you like a relatively simple design but with several additional compartments? Exo.

Once you weight the options and make your decision, if it feels good and does what you need it to do, stop reading about other packs. The internet can convince you you need something else even if you're satisfied with what you have. I had this same back and forth recently, in the end It was between Exo K4 5000 and the Stone Glacier Sky 5900. I liked the thicker waist belt foam on the exo, so I went with it and I love it.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I just went with whatever pack my favorite hunting social media influencer said to use!

I ended up going with Seek Outside because when I bought mine a few years ago, I had trouble finding one that would fit my body type (short legs, long torso), and SO had the adjustability to fit it very comfortably. I'm very happy with it, but will probably move to a different company when it comes time to get a new one.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Exo has always been a top name and I happened to come across a K3 at a good price. Actually bought two of them cause I purchased one from a member her but being in Canada the shipping was going to take a bit so I found one in Canada while I waited lol still have them both, one is brand new just in storage. If there was another top brand for good price before I saw the Exo I'd have probably bought it.

smacha538

Lil-Rokslider
EXO…bc their goal is to focus on making the best possible pack. And that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR
Take a look at your hunting style as well. Some packs function better for a bush whacking still hunter than others.

Some are more ideal for guys with a more curved back

Some fit the skinny athletic guys better.

You will get Quality and dependability in all the top packs- but fit, style and use are factors you should use in your decision making process.

I had to try them on. That involved asking around to find some, placing some orders and making returns, and stopping by some stores when passing through places where the packs are made. No substitute for getting the packs on your back with (importantly) weight in it.

It was a no brainer for me. When i chose my first Kifaru in 2013, it was because while packing my first bull quarter out of the Gila Wilderness, one of the shoulder straps on my made in China Badlands tore loose making for some miserable trips out. I vowed to never let anything like that happen again. I did a little homework and found out the Kifaru’s were 100% Made in America and that’s all i needed for convincing. It’s been all Kifaru since then for me.

I went to the western hunt expo when I was living in SLC and tried on stone glacier, kifaru, and exo with weight in each pack. Exo fit me the best and felt like a good middle-ground between the minimalist SG and the heavy-duty kifaru. I went with the 3500 since I haven't done any backcountry trips longer than 5 days without coming out to the truck. I'm right around 400 days of use on my exo over the last 9 years and it's held up great.