How long do strings last

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
How long does a set of strings last u guys? I got a new set and I'm one year in and I've worn through the serving on the cables. Is everyone just getting a new string every year?

dkime

WKR
How long does a set of strings last u guys? I got a new set and I'm one year in and I've worn through the serving on the cables. Is everyone just getting a new string every year?

If your serving is worn through you need new ones, yes you could replace the serving but I’d suggest strings every year and keep the old strings in case shit happens and you need them in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they last as long as they last. wearing through serving is not what typically gets mine, you should check for burrs/nicks/dirt in your cams and cable guard.

Dave_S

FNG
I can tell you my stock Bowtech strings were only good for a year. And honestly they were in really rough shape when had them changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
Bowtech realm x. Shooting minimum 3x a week wen the weather is nice custom strings usually wears through the serving where it hits the flip disc

Usually a year, but I shoot and hunt a lot. Wearing through serving is generally not the issue though.

I did have a Halon 5 that would do that where the string stops hit, didn’t seem to matter the material or maker, tried several. Maybe some other people with the same bow will chime in? Could be that model is prone to that, or burr/dirt, or just low quality strings.

nphunter

WKR
I’ve never worn a set out. I replace them when they get ugly which is 2 or 3 years if I clean them now and then. I reserve them once a year on the center serving and have also replaced end servings on a few.

Typically when servings are wearing through it’s an issue with a cam but some bows just wear through them. It’s still better to catch them early and reserve them before it damages the string. As long as the strings are still good they can be reserved.

I just fixed a friends cable that had worn through the serving last week, took about 30 minutes.

96F66DC5-86D3-4551-B166-4699E8A87B9B.jpeg

22336161-2D6D-4D49-A164-F06E32DDDF5D.jpeg

CMF

WKR
1 to 2 seasons, Years ago when I shot less, I would have went longer, but after 2 seasons now I'm changing no matter what. I think the year of covid "working from home" I shot so much it only lasted 1 season.

OP
A

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never worn a set out. I replace them when they get ugly which is 2 or 3 years if I clean them now and then. I reserve them once a year on the center serving and have also replaced end servings on a few.

Typically when servings are wearing through it’s an issue with a cam but some bows just wear through them. It’s still better to catch them early and reserve them before it damages the string. As long as the strings are still good they can be reserved.

I just fixed a friends cable that had worn through the serving last week, took about 30 minutes.

This is wat it looks like

PXL_20240430_034824682.jpg

they last as long as they last. wearing through serving is not what typically gets mine, you should check for burrs/nicks/dirt in your cams and cable guard.
This ^^^^ I shoot every day and sometimes in the morning and afternoon. I’ve been using customs from Catfish Customs and they are excellent strings but with the miles I put on I’m replacing them once a year. If you figure I shoot 50-100 shots a day times 6-7 days a week you can do the math. If you go conservative and factor in deer season where I slow down, you can figure thats between 12-18,000 shots a year. But I’m not one of those “new sets every 2-3 years archers”. I wear out targets prematurely too.

The servings never wear out on me but they just get a lot of fuzzies and when I compare the ones I take off to the new ones they are stretched slightly. But in their entire life I get ZERO peep issues. VEC99 is the way to go in my opinion.

Last edited:
Every two years I get a "free" set of strings through Prime so I just replace them then unless I see something wacky.

OP
A

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
I would fix this too while you're at it. It might not affect anything, but that would drive me crazy.
View attachment 705907
How do u fix that? Looks like all my cables are doin it under the serving like that.
Here's some more pics that show it better looks to me like it gets spread apart because it takes such a sharp turn around the flip disc. Cables aren't touching the cam