How long would it take for you to give up?

I think new hunters without any actual mentors outside of whatever Youtube or social media influencer they watched quit relatively quickly once they find out it’s not as easy as the Youtuber made it appear.

In my area the swell of noobs who popped up behind every tree during covid are mostly gone, thankfully. I’d bet less than 20% stick with it long term.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
State-wide average where I am is something like 22%, last time I checked. That's across the board - newbies and experienced hunters alike, as well as folks in the field for archery for a month combined with day-trippers who just get out opening day. But either way, that's 1 every 5 years "on average" with no other factors considered.

Based on that I'd go 10 years - that's two "missed the average" periods. But if you went more then 2-3 years without "seeing" anything worth keeping you in the game, you should be doing everything in your power to improve your skill. If you aren't seeing elk you're probably not where they are. If you went 10 years doing that, you should stop if for no other reason than you're wasting your time. You're never going to be successful hunting elk in downtown San Diego :)
Where I archery hunt the success rate hovers around 12%. A wise bowhunter who hunts this area told me “ it’s generally the same guys within that 12% that kill year in and year out,” the more I meet people and hunt that area, the more I believe his statement.

Poser

WKR
I once ran into some guys who had been hunting the same general area I hunt for 7 consecutive years. They had never seen an elk.

bowkill

FNG
I guess the answer has to come from within yourself. You have to ask yourself, "Am I truly having fun and enjoying myself?". If you're intent on killing something and you don't know why you're there if you don't kill something, then it's pretty obvious that you probably aren't enjoying yourself. If you get excited every year planning and anticipating the trip and when you get out there, you are taking it all in and pumped about the ability to see and experience the area you're in, then you're probably getting enjoyment out of just being on the trip. Plenty of people spend plenty of money on trips or vacations that I would say are ridiculous wastes of money. That's because wherever they are going or whatever they are planning on seeing is stuff that doesn't interest me. That doesn't mean that I should tell them that their trip has no meaning and they should stop going.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
To clarify, this isn't about me. I've found elk, been into elk, had opportunities on them. Made a lot of dumb mistakes, learned, and continue to do so. Had to take a four-year hiatus due to military obligations. I'm really talking more about the person who hears about it on a podcast (i.e., Rogan) and decides to do it. How long do you think they give it a try until they give up?
So much depends on the person a and what they are looking for. There is more to hunting than killing.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I love getting out into the bush. Harvesting a moose is great. But being somewhat handicapped it's been hard to get around a lot. Glad our cabin is in moose territory though. I have had to sit out for a couple years and it sucked hind tit big time. To me hunting is more than killing. I have the opportunity to harvest wild game and time to just get away and out into a different world. I'll take it. The average success rate is near 26% . So not bad in my book.
So I'll have to be satisfied with hanging out near camp and just being able to get out. And having a decent opportunity to harvest a moose, bears, or wolves. I am not giving up on getting out n hunting

Hnthrdr

WKR
Good question, if I was a midwesterner or non western state guy I would probably master whitetail hunting before I ventured west. Then again I was born and raised here so I hunt what I have, Elk and mulies. But I think loads of fellas have no problem paying to come hang for 5-10 days and not see a dang thing.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
The fun I have elk hunting is not dependent on me killing anything. It sure would be nice, but I enjoy the whole process, including the months of physical training I’ve done to get ready. Elk hunting is good for my body and soul, whether I ever kill anything or not.

KHNC

WKR
I usually have a chance to kill an elk every year i hunt. I havent killed on since 2019 tho. Didnt hunt in 2021 as i didnt draw a tag and refuse to do CO OTC. I usually screw up my chances to kill elk more often than not. This year i was at full draw on a cow at 20 yds and a bull at 66. No arrow released at either due to random shit. Also had another bull at 46 yds that took a step behind a tree as i was about to draw. If i could get by without a damn range finder, i would probably kill more elk.

I wouldn't view giving up as an option. Personally, I've had a lot of frustrating hunts/seasons where I am not seeing the numbers that I want, running into hunting pressure, or get blown off the mountain by weather. Despite that, I try to shift my mindset away from the negatives and focus on the fact that I am out in the woods away from the BS of everyday life and enjoy my time. Now, that doesn't take away from the fact that insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results......CHANGE SOMETHING. Not sure what that entails in your scenario but it could be different tactics or a completely different location.

All it would take is a Regulator 28’ center console and you might never see me in the elk woods again.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I have been 2 years in a row with no harvest and I can't wait to get back up there again. It is a learning experience. Mine has been bowhunintg. I learned a lot last year and a lot more this year. I saw 8 elk and called a bull to about 65 yards but didn't get a shot. Calling that bull in from hearing a bugle pretty damn far away, and him being closer each time I cow called was one of the most exciting things I've experienced in over 4 decades of hunting. I could hear his guts jiggle while he was up the hill screaming at me.

Even though I have severe physical limitations that make it where I have to hunt from a stand and can't do the long walks like most people do, I will eventually be successful and have no plans of stopping. I love being in the mountain wilderness. We camped for 34 days. It was awesome.

Scoot

WKR
I think it depends a lot on if you had some success first. If my first 10 years of elk hunting resulted in no elk shot and little seen, I probably wouldn't think elk hunting was all that fun and might find a better option. Given what I've already experienced, no number of elk season busts will break me.

Gerbdog

WKR
Maybe its underestimated what some folks will pay to get away from the family and go hang out in the woods with friends for a week.....

Tradition is hard to break.

To some i bet not seeing an elk has absolutely nothing to do with the trip.

willy

FNG
None of those would make me quit, I would be trying new areas, new strategies, etc. I wouldn't let the elk beat me, is how Id look at it. That's kind of how I approach most things.

JC hunter

FNG
I don't think about quitting I just keep going i'm 67 yo and killed my 21 elk with a bow and I live in MIch. not a western state. I called my wife after 2 weeks of hunting and little elk seen she did not want to hear it she said hunt harder. after 20 days I killed the seventh elk I'd seen and the only bull. don't give up

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
I like everyone’s responses. Thanks for the replies!

Me, I enjoy the woods a lot. I also think it is so cool that o can buy an OTC tag for cheap (as a resident). Every time I get to do it, it feels surreal. I always think, “wow, I am so lucky I get to go do this!”

Which is interesting, because I am generally impatient but out in the woods…different story.

Jaquomo

WKR
Maybe its underestimated what some folks will pay to get away from the family and go hang out in the woods with friends for a week.....

Tradition is hard to break.

To some i bet not seeing an elk has absolutely nothing to do with the trip.
There is a camp of 7-8 Midwestern guys that take over a section of mountain where I hunt in WY.. they stagger PPs so one draws every year, and the others wander around in the woods, calling and glassing, camping and eating and imbibing. True team effort, I guess.