How long would you wait for them to stand up?

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
[edited for clarity]
They laid down like this while I was making my stalk.
I don't take head or neck shots. Can't see vitals on any of them [correction: I didn't think that I could land a good vital shot, someone with more experience/skill than me might have.]
So, what would you do? How long would you wait?

[image removed]

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I use a white game bag on a trekking pole once it starts getting too dark waiting them out. They usually get curious and stand up. Don't wave it around crazy, mimic an animal standing up and looking at them. Slow movements.

Laramie

WKR
I'm not sure why you can't get a bullet to the vitals? I would gladly take a bedded shot. My bull from last year was similar. Bedded in the snow at a slight quartering angle.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
@Holmes So what happened?!?!?!

I put on my belay jacket and my puffy pants, and waited over 2 hrs for them to stand back up.
Only a 75yd shot, but as a new shooter I was very happy with this.
[image removed]
I shot a blacktail a few weeks ago while it was bedded. I lost a bunch of meat in one quarter and had to take a follow up shot on a fast-limping deer, then it tumbled into a scree field. I didn't like that and I didn't want to try it again. Got all the meat off this one.
[image removed]
I'll try the waving-a-game-bag trick next time....if there is ever a next time that I get this close to a group of caribou.
[image removed]

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
I put on my belay jacket and my puffy pants, and waited over 2 hrs for them to stand back up.
Only a 75yd shot, but as a new shooter I was very happy with this.

View attachment 343253

I shot a blacktail a few weeks ago while it was bedded. I lost a bunch of meat in one quarter and had to take a follow up shot on a fast-limping deer, then it tumbled into a scree field. I didn't like that and I didn't want to try it again. Got all the meat off this one.

View attachment 343252

View attachment 343254

I'll try the waving-a-game-bag trick next time....if there is ever a next time that I get this close to a group of caribou.
That might be one of the coolest photos ive seen in a while! Congrats