How Many 300+ Inch Bulls Have You Killed

How Many 300+ Inch Bulls Have You Killed

• 9 or More 300 inch and bigger bulls

Results are only viewable after voting.
So you’ve never hunted elk, sitting on 20 plus points and have a 300 in your sights? I hope you have a guide lined up.
You cleary have never hunted AZ. The unit I live in, which is probably the 10 th best elk unit in the state has 300s behind almost every tree. Finding a 300 inch bull in one of the top 5 units that I apply for is easy.

And who said I haven’t killed an elk? I’ve killed over 8 in 12 years on otc tags. And been on many bull hunts.

Hope you do! Just be aware, there aren't 300" bulls around every tree in those units. And it's still elk hunting. I know about many guys who have left their "trophy unit" hunt without meeting their expectations that they set pre-hunt.

The only expectation you should set is to have an epic time.
In AZ, in the top 5 units, even in a drought year there are plenty of 300 inch bulls. But if it’s a drought when I draw I’ll turn the tag back.

Wow!

This poll has almost 5 times as many answers as I thought it would have when I stated it.

I really would have thought the zero 300 inch bulls group would have been in the 80-90 percent range, 1 300 inch bull to be in the 10-20 percent range, and everyone one with over one 300 inch bull to be the few remaining percentages.

I’m thinking the Rokslide crew is a little better than average at killing big bulls!

Wow!

This poll has almost 5 times as many answers as I thought it would have when I stated it.

I really would have thought the zero 300 inch bulls group would have been in the 80-90 percent range, 1 300 inch bull to be in the 10-20 percent range, and everyone one with over one 300 inch bull to be the few remaining percentages.

I’m thinking the Rokslide crew is a little better than average at killing big bulls!

The folks that have killed one are more likely to answer the poll.

One. Was waiting on a rag horn to step out and poke a hole in him and this sucker turns the corner instead at 30yrds. His cows moved to my left and he couldn’t let them go. Spooked to 51yrds and I let him have a muzzy phantom.

363” 6x7

ffebb9d41a5dc3615d50680c9f1ebf26.jpg

48754614d472003bbf5e74e28f567685.jpg

f0dfd9531ddae9559538c0d8ba385354.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
c2b5bb781693c82f49b6825202dd67bd.jpg

Last edited:
Guys who are after any bull aren't usually as detailed oriented as picky guys. Place limits on yourself and you will be more attentive to detail/disciplined.
It's literally the little things that make difference.
It’s the little things AND being willing to pass on shots on the 10 smaller bulls and all the cows that are on the same hillside as the 1 bull you’re after.

P.S.
Most of time I find the really good ones by themselves or perhaps with just 3 or 4 cows. I usually stay away from big bunches. If I find a big bunch, I start looking at travel routes from one side of mountain/drainage to the other. Headed in general direction of winter range. In particular I am looking for tight saddles/funnels that have timber/benches on one side. Places where a wise old bull can get out of bed come sniff for cows in season mount a few and go back to bed. Those old guys usually won't venture very far from those places before during and after the rut.
I also hunt the crap out of winter range if it has some heavy timber and secluded places.
You would be surprised where a burly old bull can hide. Those are not bulls you are bugling to. It's not a stand hunt either. Those are entirely different hunting styles then what you will find on internet. Patience and soft touch are real beneficial.
This is public land stuff as I do not mess with private. Private land stuff may be vastly different, or the same I have no idea.

My best one grossed 338", never did a net score. I'm no great elk hunter but I've hunted with a friend who is and he taught me a lot. One of the most important things I learned for hunting the later end of rifle season is to carry a small spotter. Lots of bulls are broke up and it can save you a lot of time and steps to be able to make a decision to pursue them or not from a distance. The two impressive bulls I've seen hunting were both missing a side and I've seen a lot with broken points.

Attachments

• best front.JPG
    best front.JPG
    690.7 KB · Views: 65
I've taken 21 that are over 300", 16 are over 330" and 4 over 370"
Your numbers are very similar to mine but I've only killed one over 370", that was on a central Wyoming ranch. I have killed a number over 360". I am not applying for as many tags as I used to but the one I do apply for each year could produce a toad. I still spend 3 weeks in the mountains each year but I enjoy helping guys with less experience and kills fill their tags than filling one myself.

Your numbers are very similar to mine but I've only killed one over 370", that was on a central Wyoming ranch. I have killed a number over 360". I am not applying for as many tags as I used to but the one I do apply for each year could produce a toad. I still spend 3 weeks in the mountains each year but I enjoy helping guys with less experience and kills fill their tags than filling one myself.
One more thought. A young guy asked "how the hell did you kill so many big bulls", I said don't shoot small bulls first. Following my own advice I've eaten some great tags. If the elk bug has bitten you I would suggest applying in as many states as possble and in units with good genetics. Finally if you draw a great tag consider using an outfitter even if you can't afford it.

I'll say from my experience the rifle bulls from SW MT were by far the most challenging hunts. Very very tough and my days of doing some of that are coming to a close if they haven't already.
View attachment 706092View attachment 706093View attachment 706095View attachment 706099View attachment 706100
View attachment 706101View attachment 706102

Always an inspiration to see all of your big SW MT rifle bulls. I’m addicted to chasing the big ghosts in the snow. I’ve spent way too much of my life in the same country trying to be consistent with big bulls in the late season. I’ve killed some good 6 points over the years, but it seems like luck every single time.

Out of curiosity, how many of your late season bulls were tracked? It seems like I see fewer and fewer good bulls glassing every year. It seems like the big ones find a 5 acre patch of timber they like and never leave it for the season.

Here are few of mine and friends from over the years. A couple over and a couple just under. I’ve been on 27 bull elk kills on public land over the last 10 years. Only a handful over 300. It takes a lot of bull to make 300, I’d say the vast majority of 6 points are under, from my experience any ways. IMG_2443.jpeg

Attachments

• GH010154_1669208302988_Original.jpeg
    GH010154_1669208302988_Original.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 52
  • 20221030_180908_Original.jpeg
    20221030_180908_Original.jpeg
    642.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5620.jpeg
    IMG_5620.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg